Moving to Atlanta

timeconsumer

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello ARC,

My name is Steve and I'll be relocating to Atlanta from New Orleans in 3 weeks for a new job. I was an active reefer until Nov 2014 when I (sadly) broke down my 75g mixed reef in anticipation of the job search. With the new city I plan to start a new reef, but just a little nano/pico this time around. I've googled around a little bit and found some great looking fish stores in the area, so I'm extremely eager to get back into the hobby and meet everyone!

So which stores do you guys think I should check out?
Do any stores carry captive-bred livestock and aquacultured corals?
Does anyone offer basic glass/acrylic cutting?
Who sells RODI water?
Who has a house for rent? :lol:

Thanks for reading my introduction!

first I would like to say welcome to the ARC, you have got to check out a all the store in the area that's a must.
most if the store offer captive breed and if they don't have it, they can get it.
all our LFS carry RO water and salt water.

happy your going to be joining us for some fun, when you get in town join us for one of our monthly meetings.

Welcome! I can echo the above. All sponsors will take care of you! Do you know what part of town you will be situated?

I don't know much of anything yet. My wife is flying out there after Mardi Gras to pick out a place to live. We had barely 4 weeks notice about the relocation so it's all been very last minute.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Atlanta and to ARC!

I previously lived on the west bank and still have family on the north shore and Baton Rouge. Atlanta is a great place to live and raise a family.

Traffic can be a challenge, so choose your home accordingly.

The LFS have a lot to offer, as does ARC.

Again, welcome aboard!

Yeah, I'm very excited for a change and a new reef club to join. I'll be glad for the resources of ARC when I'm searching for someone to sell me a pint glass of sand, a piece of LR the size of a baseball, or 2 snails (small tanks, small needs I suppose).

I even have something of my own to offer ARC. I dabble in macro photography a little and have a decent kit for it, if you have some cool corals I might be able to get you a good shot of it!

Welcome, we may take you up on the macro photography offer. Our Feb club meeting is about photography.

Well I'm not sure I'll be able to make your February meeting given I'll be moving and unpacking around the 20th, maybe March.

Here's one of my favorite old shots, I actually took this before I had my macro lens and ring-flash. This was hand-held with a kit lens, so it was a lucky shot.

qtuNNYo.jpg
alt="" />

Gorgeous, more please. I'd like to know more about you camera, lenses and settings.

Eh, I don't have much else I'm very proud of. Maybe get a few beers in me and I'll show some other ones, but I sure like this dry land one a lot:

http://i.imgur.com/G9qUuuJ.jpg?1" alt="" />

My setup is fairly minimal. I still use my old Canon Rebel XS body. My macro lens is the Canon EF 100mm F2.8 macro and my ring flash is the MR-14EXII.

Welcome X3!!!!
1. Welcome to the club!
2. Welcome to Hotlanta!
3. Welcome back to the hobby!

Nice shots! I don't drink, but I'll be glad to trade you frags for photo tricks lol! :D Jk! I still waiting to get me salty again!

dball711;1070427 wrote: Welcome, we may take you up on the macro photography offer. Our Feb club meeting is about photography.

This is great.Tell me the date as soon as you can.Just make sure its after the 14th.I really need to be at this one.
"Oh" Sorry Welcome to the club Steve.

Fishlips;1070475 wrote: This is great.Tell me the date as soon as you can.Just make sure its after the 14th.I really need to be at this one.
"Oh" Sorry Welcome to the club Steve.

Ha! No worries, it does sound really interesting so I don't blame you. Maybe if the meeting falls at the end of the month I can make an appearance and learn some new perspectives on aquarium macro work. Otherwise I don't think my wife will let me escape unpacking. Or the boss let me escape work.

Well; I'll be the first on suggesting your 1st stop at a local reef store. At the top of your list, you should write #1 The Atlanta Aquarium a.k.a. RIT's place. Just look at the ARC's sponsor page and read some of the comments about The Atlanta Aquarium. Be warned, I've posted some comments on my visits to RIT's place. I'm convinced where I will stop on my next 90+ miles one way to Atlanta. Rit's place is at the top of my list, the Atlanta Aquarium. The customer service is tops. You won't leave the store with something you don't really need. In other words, RIT will not try and sell you something that you really don't need.

When you in the area, stop by and browse; you'll see what I'm talking about in the above comments for yourself.

Wannabee

Great! Thanks for the recommendation. Like I said the plan in the works for now is just a 12" cube 7g nano reef. I actually plan on doing a completely captive bred tank with just a neon goby, peppermint shrimp, and lots of ricordea. If it looks like my job will be a little more permanent, I may do a 40 breeder SPS dominated build down the road. The hotel industry has people moving around a lot, so for now I'm going to stay small.

But like I said, once this project starts if anyone wants to swap gear, rock, frags etc. I'm interested. I can trade photography work, custom Excel work (great stuff for small businesses), custom computer building/repair, knife sharpening, etc. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now I have to return to putting my kitchen in boxes.

Back