My first flood in the 75

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I was messing around changing out equipment and needed some parts so I put the tank back together and left the house. I got the parts at lowes and got back home about 3 hours later. I could hear loud unusual noises upon entering the house, went straight to the tank to find my 8 gallon ATO resovior empty and Tunze pump running. I've never heard this before and it was very odd considering I just filled it this morning.
I turned on the sump light and noticed the stand full on water! Crazy but I used two cans of Water Tight Coating on the inside of this stand and it held almost all the water. Upon further inspection the large rug on my tile floor next to the tank was wet, maybe 1 x 2'. I'm impressed.
Checked the ATO line, remembering I had moved it out of my way, and it was of course it was out of the sump dangling into the stand.

Not a bad experience for 8 gallons of water and lesson learned!

the water tight coating is a good idea and i will definitely need to remember that when i start the next build..glad it held up

Yes, a 10 minute clean up with two towles and a fan left me smiling. I did over spray in the bottom corners but must have missed a spot.

I'm sold on the product now.

Good to hear, I'm glad it worked for you! This is a good reminder for us about a great product.:yes:

I'm surprised the tunze didn't shut itself off from pumping water to long.

Berje;990304 wrote: I'm surprised the tunze didn't shut itself off from pumping water to long.

I think you need to switch the jump on the controller unit for it to do that.

tonymission;990308 wrote: I think you need to switch the jump on the controller unit for it to do that.

I Dont think so, I think it is just a feature the 3155 has
But could be wrong. I Dont remember seeing a switch anywhere.

Berje;990309 wrote: I Dont think so, I think it is just a feature the 3155 has
But could be wrong. I Dont remember seeing a switch anywhere.

It's a jumper switch inside the controller on the main board. You have to take it apart.
I just had my bubble trap sponge get stopped up so water wasn't flowing quick enough to the return chamber and my entire bucket topped off into the return chamber.

indecloudzua;990421 wrote: Does that just seal up with silicone?

Pretty much but it's in a spray can and much thinner than silicone. When I sprayed it last year I sprayed the outer edges, let it dry, sprayed the entire bottom, let it dry, then put two more coats on it. I used two cans.
It would have been smarter to seal up the outer edges with silicone, then used the water proof now that you mentioned it. :up:

I thought the pump had a timer on how long it would run continually, I'm going to have to look that up now. With me being gone 3 hours, I assumed it started and stopped, started, stopped.... Until gone?

Camellia;990427 wrote:
I thought the pump had a timer on how long it would run continually, I'm going to have to look that up now. With me being gone 3 hours, I assumed it started and stopped, started, stopped.... Until gone?

Mine does and if the pump runs for to long it throws an error on the head unit and won't pump anymore water ubtill you unplug it then plug it back in.

Yup, thought so. I just read the entire manual and it does say (providing the switch is on within unit) that it will shut off after 10 minutes of the pump running continuously! It doesn't say anything about having to reset it...
I've never tested this before so I would say my unit was shipped with this turned "off"? Stupid!!!
From their website:
Redundant security: the main sensor is a proprietary optic sensor. Should that fail a safety float switch shuts the unit off and sounds an alarm. Even if that fails safety circuitry shuts off the pump after 10 minutes.
-----
Ok, so then what? Obviously Berje has figured this out but the manual dosent tell ^^^ anywhere.
Guess I'll call them in the AM.

I am new to the hobby and have not thought of waterproofing the inside of the stand in case of a flood but makes sense. Does anyone have any pictures they can share?

You wouldn't even see mine since its black spray and the stand is black, it looks the same. I don't think most people bother with it honestly.

How would you waterproof if there are doors on the front of the stand anyway? If you look at my profile pic it shows my tank with the two doors and no backing.

Did you not program the leak detector to do anything?
That's what we put it in for.

Back