My reef creations

mafiaman;93867 wrote: S.E.A. is owned by Tim, as well as Margi Shindell ( she represents a 10% ownership) Does this not cause a conflict of interest? BOD, Macna, SWU, Vs. Sponsorship?

Just pointing out facts.

Chris Carella

I have been working in the industry for over 12 years now, the last 7+ I have been self-employed. I have been a member of the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society, Inc. for all of that time and have been a member of the Board of Directors for most of it. Last year, I was Co-Chair of MACNA 19. In my opinion, having people that work in the industry as members or directors is an invaluable asset, not a liability. I have contacts which have helped my club tremendously over the years and specifically with MACNA. LFS owners, maintenance company personel, manufacturers, etc. should all be encouraged to join clubs and if they wish to take an active role in the workings and direction of the club, even better yet. It is only a conflict if it is permitted to be. So long as everyone is treated equally and fairly, I can't imagine how bringing industry into a club could be a bad thing.

Steven Pro;93990 wrote: I have been working in the industry for over 12 years now, the last 7+ I have been self-employed. I have been a member of the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society, Inc. for all of that time and have been a member of the Board of Directors for most of it. Last year, I was Co-Chair of MACNA 19. In my opinion, having people that work in the industry as members or directors is an invaluable asset, not a liability. I have contacts which have helped my club tremendously over the years and specifically with MACNA. LFS owners, maintenance company personel, manufacturers, etc. should all be encouraged to join clubs and if they wish to take an active role in the workings and direction of the club, even better yet. It is only a conflict if it is permitted to be. So long as everyone is treated equally and fairly, I can't imagine how bringing industry into a club could be a bad thing.

well said!

Steven Pro;93990 wrote: I have been working in the industry for over 12 years now, the last 7+ I have been self-employed. I have been a member of the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society, Inc. for all of that time and have been a member of the Board of Directors for most of it. Last year, I was Co-Chair of MACNA 19. In my opinion, having people that work in the industry as members or directors is an invaluable asset, not a liability. I have contacts which have helped my club tremendously over the years and specifically with MACNA. LFS owners, maintenance company personel, manufacturers, etc. should all be encouraged to join clubs and if they wish to take an active role in the workings and direction of the club, even better yet. It is only a conflict if it is permitted to be. So long as everyone is treated equally and fairly, I can't imagine how bringing industry into a club could be a bad thing.
Business is out to make money and while some business owners would put the club members above their business most won't. Having voting members of a club also be local business owners can cause bylaws to be inacted that are more business centric than member centric. In short, what is best for the members of a club may not be for a local fish store. There are some advantages, but clearly their are some disadvantages. Which is better, that is certainly debatable but you would have to be blind not to see some pros and cons with a business member in the leadership of a local club.

Personally I think the relationship should exists, but a BoD should be composed almost entirely of members that are like the other members in the club and not people who sell to the membership. One or two perhaps, but not many beyond that. It certainly depends on the individual business owner, but in the end a LFS is going to look at the club differently than the membership.

SuAsati;93963 wrote:
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #000000;">...</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #000000;">Registered Agent</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Agent Name:</span></span>http://corp.sos.state.ga.us/corp/soskb/Agent.asp?1212686"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #0000ff;">ANN P. DAISS</span></span></span></a> <span style="color: red;"><----</span>
[B]<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Office Address:</span></span>[/B]<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx </span></span>
[B]<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Agent County:</span></span>[/B]<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">GWINNETT</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">-------------------------------------------------</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">Are we ready to close this once and for all?</span>[/QUOTE]

The Registered Agent is only the point of contact for the business for legal purposes. It doesn't have to be an owner, principal, board member, or whatever. Many times, it is the lawyer for the company.

Cameron;94037 wrote: Personally I think the relationship should exists, but a BoD should be composed almost entirely of members that are like the other members in the club and not people who sell to the membership. One or two perhaps, but not many beyond that. It certainly depends on the individual business owner, but in the end a LFS is going to look at the club differently than the membership.

Actually, the ARC already does not allow people with a sponsor membership to be a voting member of the BoD. I think that in general this is a good policy, but it obviously works for other clubs.

I think the original intent of this thread was to give feedback on MRC tanks...it might be good to get back to that.

Or, I could threadjack even further with my shamless 'Looking for RBTA' plee!!!

Okay, back to comments on the tanks. Chris doesn't want it so I guess the point is now moot.

SShindell;94057 wrote: Actually, the ARC already does not allow people with a sponsor membership to be a voting member of the BoD. I think that in general this is a good policy, but it obviously works for other clubs.

I think the original intent of this thread was to give feedback on MRC tanks...it might be good to get back to that.

Maybe your by-laws are different, but our are rather explicit, any additions or changes must be voted upon by the full membership only after one month's written notice in the newsletter. About the only thing the BOD can do on their own is allocate club funds, but that is why there are multiple BOD members, 9 in our case. You would need 5 or more BOD members working in concert to rip off the club. And, with BOD meetings open to the membership and monthly financial statements, there are plenty of checks and balances in place to watch for those kinds of shenigans.

KRB;94048 wrote: The Registered Agent is only the point of contact for the business for legal purposes. It doesn't have to be an owner, principal, board member, or whatever. Many times, it is the lawyer for the company.

Look at the original filling and come to your own conclusion. Frankly, Andy may have done a rotten thing, but dragging the company that is feeding his family along for the ride is just low.... now y'all can carry on....

I have known Margi and Steve since day one and as I remember Steve actually was the person who approuched me over 4 years ago when I was in CBA looking for my first fish for my 90 gallon and let me know about the ARC.

I do not hang put with them but I do talk to them through the ARC and I stop by when I have to go to the omni eyecare clinic located in his office building and say "Hi".

I have the gift of being able to tell a bad egg and all I can say is they are good hearted family people who should never of been dragged into this.

Some people are only showing up on the threads to create problems that are not present. if there was a way to have it stopped I would push a vote for that action ASAP. So we could stay focused on what we are and that is a reef club.

Sorry to be helping push this thread so far off topic, but just a couple of more things before I shuffle back to my home club. The simple solution for any/all of this is to become more active in the club. Attend the BOD meetings. Better still, run for a BOD position.

Secondly, in the immortal words of Martin Moe, always remember "it is just a fish club." Keep things light, friendly, and simple. Drama always puts people off and weakens the club and no one wants that.

Steven Pro;94079 wrote: "it is just a fish club."

I think I have said that a few times myself :)

I agree. I appreciate all the kind words. Really, everything is an open book. I am sure Tim or Margi will be happy to answer any questions, but it is pretty simple. Andy owned MRC, and made a great product. Tim worked there a few days a week making the equipment because it is located right next to SEA. Margi worked part time for Tim helping him with his office administration. Andy went to jail, and he and Ann immediately sold the company to Tim (the alternative was closing the company), with a minority share to Margi. Tim continues to make the same quality product. Margi now does the administration for both SEA and MRC. No one could have predicted this a month ago.

Look, this IS only a fish club. We may have some differences and different sensitivities, but I have yet to meet a member that I could not be friends with over something. So why don't we just try a bit harder, ok? Cool heads rather than antagonism will get us through these issues.

I will start - SuAsati, I am sorry for jumping on your rear a few weeks back. Your comments were harsher than I would have liked, and to be honest, I should have directly PMed you. We have since PMed each other, and I hope we are at peace.

I am also sorry to ChrisJet for the continual highjacking of this thread. :)

Warm regards,

2)S.E.A. is owned by Tim, as well as Margi Shindell ( she represents a 10% ownership) Does this not cause a conflict of interest? BOD, Macna, SWU, Vs. Sponsorship?

well this explains alot of whats been going on with the whole MRC thread.

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Brad -</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Why don't you come to the BOD meeting tomorrow night - I would like to meet you.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Chris (Mafia) - you know better.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Thanks,</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Margi</span></span></span>

Margi;94127 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Brad -</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Why don't you come to the BOD meeting tomorrow night - I would like to meet you.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Chris (Mafia) - you know better.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Thanks,</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">Margi</span></span></span>

ROFL!

Margi
If I wasnt out of town working I would love to be there.

Platypus,
why dont you just be quiet you are really getting on my last nerve

In this instance and with its itent it is. All everone is doing is provoking each other and telling someone to shut up is not doing any good for anyone. I agree with caspers point but telling someone to shut up in an open forum is only provoking to the person being told to shut up and nothing positive what so ever will come of it.

If someone member or non member feels that strongly about a person then they should send them a pm to work it out in preivate.

Back