Need help/opinions.

Collink91

Supporting
Reaction score
So if you have been following my 93 gallon stand build, you know that it went great and i have a stand that is wonderful to look at now. See picture #1.

however, when attaching a top there was a small gap on the right side and my friends father thought it looked bad.

he shaved down some of the stuff on the right so he could screw the top down all the way. But its left Very small warp to the top.

tl;dr the top of my stand isnt totally flat. Not unlevel, but not flat. Picture #2 is the left side of stand. Picture #3 is right side. And you can see in #4 that the stand is level.

My questions is: can i put a yoga mat/tank mat underneath the right side just to make up the difference and provide a little support? Im mostly just worried about the mat not going all the way across the bottom panel of the tank. Is it going to put a straight line of pressure north to south on the middle of my tank?

the other option would be unscrewing right side of top and putting shims in the right side between the top and side panel, even though it would look terrible.

Good question and well detailed!

Is it glass or acrylic? Flat bottom or rimmed?

I always put a large piece of foam under my tanks even when the stand is perfectly flat and level but its only recommended to do that for flat bottomed tanks.

Try shims under the supporting structure to level. Could you sand it to be level? You can and most should use a foam mat under the tank on the stand :). A tank can start to craze if acrylic or seams will eventually pop if not level and evenly supported. Glass tanks eventually have seam failures for same reason. Also if you use shims you can put a piece of non supporting trim around to disguise.

Last edited:
Basically the center of the stand is crowned or bowed up a bit, right? If you run the level across the top, it's a bit lower on both sides. The first question I had was whether or not you an get it to go down with some weight? If it's really is a little warp in the plywood, sometimes those can be straightened out with a little bit pressure and putting tank on top would be fine. However, if it can't be flattened with something small (cinder block?) I'd be more concerned about this than it being level. any chance there's a 2x4 running under the center that can be pulled and trimmed? Perhaps it's a bit crowned?

(please note that my experience is with rimmed tanks)

The tank is rimless.

the bow is not in the middle per se. those 2x4s are under the frame and not causing a bow. I drew a picture.

Since it sounds like it's flat bottom tank I would do a thin slice of angled wood as a shim for the whole area that is lower and then put a foam sheet down on top of it.

Basically the center of the stand is crowned or bowed up a bit, right? If you run the level across the top, it's a bit lower on both sides. The first question I had was whether or not you an get it to go down with some weight? If it's really is a little warp in the plywood, sometimes those can be straightened out with a little bit pressure and putting tank on top would be fine. However, if it can't be flattened with something small (cinder block?) I'd be more concerned about this than it being level. any chance there's a 2x4 running under the center that can be pulled and trimmed? Perhaps it's a bit crowned?

(please note that my experience is with rimmed tanks)
If you run the level, it is only lower on the right side. Not the left.

+1 shim and trim it. You want that area to be supported uniformly not just spot shims.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back