Need help plumbing

triga22

Market
Reaction score
If I upgrade my 29- 90 then I will move the corals to a 10. I would like to drill the 10. I need a little help bulkheads and such. Would these work?http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+4013&pcatid=4013">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+4013&pcatid=4013</a>
I have it come into my 29 as just and elbow. I was thinking of doing a ball joint and a flare nossle. Please help.

Could I use flexible tubing and then bring it into this instead of ball joint and flare?
prod_display.cfm

yes those are standard bulkheads. You can buy them locally at pets unlimited in marietta for the same price.

TriGa22;76698 wrote: . I was thinking of doing a ball joint and a flare nossle. Please help.

I assume you are talking abour loc line ??? Go to marinedepot.com and look under the plumbing section.

Ok, I just used that as a reference. Do you think I can plumb buy the pump get lights and all of this for $100.?
This is what I was thinking.
DIY lights $50 with canopy
$10 Sand
$20 Plumbing
Sump(free)
Pump Rio 27.001100 Plus3.9" x 2-1/2" x 3.2"6 ft3823/4"22

Yes locline. I think im going to do flex with the other thing posted above.

YOu can get that stuff at any lfs, except they are black. I use cap bay

Yes. I would like I know this is work for someone but to make up a list of whats needed. Im doing the overflow like the guy doing the 20l.

Everything you've said will work, but you should consider the ball joint (loc-line) and flare nozzle anyway as it's nice to be able to direct the flow.

Also, one word of warning... 10g tanks have very thin glass. It's easy enough to drill, but be very careful when installing the bulkheads not to overtighten, and be especially careful when installing plumbing not to stress the bulkhead.

Whenever I put a bulkhead into a 10g, I like to cut a 4" square piece of 1/4" acrylic, and drill a same-sized hole in it, then slip it over the "nut side" of the bulkhead before installing the locknut. This helps distribute the stress on the glass and reduces (but certainly does not eliminate) the chances of breakage.

I've got some acrylic scrap you can use for the backplate if you need some, or you can just get some at Lowes or the Deepo and cut down. Of course be sure to not drill acrylic with a diamond holesaw, use a regular holesaw for that.

looks like you might be able to get all that for under $200 - $100 is cutting it close.

TriGa22;76709 wrote: Ok, I just used that as a reference. Do you think I can plumb buy the pump get lights and all of this for $100.?
This is what I was thinking.
DIY lights $50 with canopy
$10 Sand
$20 Plumbing
Sump(free)
Pump Rio 27.001100 Plus3.9" x 2-1/2" x 3.2"6 ft3823/4"22
Spend the extra money on a mag if you can possibly afford it. Rios are loud junky things.

Oh, and what kinds of lights are you doing for $50?

Whenever I put a bulkhead into a 10g, I like to cut a 4" square piece of 1/4" acrylic, and drill a same-sized hole in it, then slip it over the "nut side" of the bulkhead before installing the locknut. This helps distribute the stress on the glass and reduces (but certainly does not eliminate) the chances of breakage.

quote]

cool , so its basically adding a doubler!

Ok thanks. Can I do something like the 20l thread? But reutrn the locline over the top of the tank not drill into the tank for those.

I was thinking of the 10 watt coralife mini compacts and doing 4 over the tank.

TriGa22;76723 wrote: Ok thanks. Can I do something like the 20l thread? But reutrn the locline over the top of the tank not drill into the tank for those.
Sure, but I don't like to run lockline unless I'm over the water or under it. I just don't trust those ball joints not to leak.

So just go over the top with PVC then change to locline once you are over the water.

you would need to drill a hole for your drain. You could run your returns back over the top. Arent you getting a 90g?

TriGa22;76724 wrote: I was thinking of the 10 watt coralife mini compacts and doing 4 over the tank.
That doesn't sound very DIY to me!!!!

Why not do a small T5 setup? You can easily do a couple of lamps and a fulham workhorse 5 to drive them for that price!

Alright. Now how many gph will a 1'' bulkhead put out? I didnt want to use a mag because they start at $50.00. I could do quiet one pumps?
I will buy eqquipment used so if anyone has anything like this we can arrange something or meet at a meeting.

SCSInet;76727 wrote: That doesn't sound very DIY to me!!!!

Why not do a small T5 setup? You can easily do a couple of lamps and a fulham workhorse 5 to drive them for that price!
Ok.. I have no idea what this is lol :wow2:

TriGa22;76728 wrote: Alright. Now how many gph will a 1'' bulkhead put out? I didnt want to use a mag because they start at $50.00. I could do quiet one pumps?
I will buy eqquipment used so if anyone has anything like this we can arrange something or meet at a meeting.
1" will do about 600GPH from gravity feed (like a drain)

If you have it on a pump (like a return), you can run much more than that as you've got pressure on your side.

Quiet-one is a good pump as well.

Back