Nem question

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hey there fellow reefers, today I came home to my RBTA hovering between two of my candy cane colonies and it was touching my blue colony should I be worried?

Yes, unfortunately they are untrainable. I think though once it finds the light and the flow it likes it'll pick its spot and stay put as long as the conditions stay the same, at least that's the experience I've had with mine.

Steve may very well be right.

For a seasoned reefer, they may be able to remove the Nem from the established rockwork. I do this occasionally, but it’s hard. Many professionals that I know won’t bother as its not worth the effort nor the risk. The risk of killing the Nem, they’re very tender.

Whenever you are considering getting your first anemone (especially a Bubbletip), somebody should have prepared you by asking you:

Do you truly want an anemone in your reef tank? Unlike corals, Anemones can and will move. You cannot force them into a position, only encourage them by providing them a preferable location. If they move to the wrong location, they can kill your favorite coral colony, or potentially nuke your entire tank. And everyday for the entire future, you will be keeping a close eye on their behavior to prevent these things from happening. Plus, they split and grow quickly. So It’s work, but they can be very beautiful and interesting creatures. If your response is “yes, I’m ready for that.” Only then, will I sell a person their first anemone.

If they already have Nems; I assume they know all this, and just sell it to them.

Keys to keeping anemones happy are managing flow, light, and giving them a safe and secure home. This means a hole to shove and protect their foot.

They will still move occasionally. And they are guaranteed to move when they are splitting. But this can be mitigated by placing them on an island. Note that they still have the capability to “jump”, in which the let go of the rock and let the current carry them.

I’ve had BTAs in my reef tanks for years. And have them in all 3 of my tanks right now.

Steve may very well be right.

For a seasoned reefer, they may be able to remove the Nem from the established rockwork. I do this occasionally, but it’s hard. Many professionals that I know won’t bother as its not worth the effort nor the risk. The risk of killing the Nem, they’re very tender.

Whenever you are considering getting your first anemone (especially a Bubbletip), somebody should have prepared you by asking you:

Do you truly want an anemone in your reef tank? Unlike corals, Anemones can and will move. You cannot force them into a position, only encourage them by providing them a preferable location. If they move to the wrong location, they can kill your favorite coral colony, or potentially nuke your entire tank. And everyday for the entire future, you will be keeping a close eye on their behavior to prevent these things from happening. Plus, they split and grow quickly. So It’s work, but they can be very beautiful and interesting creatures. If your response is “yes, I’m ready for that.” Only then, will I sell a person their first anemone.

If they already have Nems; I assume they know all this, and just sell it to them.
I have three all bubble tip one green one purple and a rainbow

After mine split the smaller one moved exactly where I didn't want it. I tried to remove it using the Ice cube in a bag trick. After about 5 ice cubes It worked about half the foot off. I tried to pull it off and ended up ripping it in half. I found out how fragile they are, it didn't take much force at all. Luckily both halves are now fully healed and are able to take food. Now they are sitting in a basket waiting to be sold.

After mine split the smaller one moved exactly where I didn't want it. I tried to remove it using the Ice cube in a bag trick. After about 5 ice cubes It worked about half the foot off. I tried to pull it off and ended up ripping it in half. I found out how fragile they are, it didn't take much force at all. Luckily both halves are now fully healed and are able to take food. Now they are sitting in a basket waiting to be sold.
I’ve never thought about trying that ice cube thing but I saw it on YouTube

I’ve never thought about trying that ice cube thing but I saw it on YouTube

Sounds like you’re getting ideas to try soon. Just have backup plans for the worst case scenarios. Also, plan on it taking 10 times as long as you expect. Sometimes you get lucky and done in 10 seconds. Other times it can take many hours.

Aside from tank crashes; this may mean accidentally ripping 1/2 the anemone off. Now you would have 2 anemones to deal with, and 1 is still stuck where you don’t want it. Getting a basket or place to relocate the Nem is a great backup for this example.

My preferred approach is to use my fingertips. This way I can feel the underside of the nem. I know when I can pull, and when I can’t. And I’ve never killed nor ripped a Nem.

It will sting it. I just had that happen in my tank. I moved the candy cane away from the Nem Island and it took it a couple of days to open back up.

How is the candy cane?
It's fine now. It wasn't opening up at night like it usually did. Took a few days but now everything looks good. Also my nems moved bc I did a 3 day lights out period to deal with some stuff in my tank. And the one that actually stung the candy cane split literally the day I turned my lights back on.

It's fine now. It wasn't opening up at night like it usually did. Took a few days but now everything looks good. Also my nems moved bc I did a 3 day lights out period to deal with some stuff in my tank. And the one that actually stung the candy cane split literally the day I turned my lights back on.
No splits for me just yet but I’ve only had them for about two months

IMHO RBTA are heartier than people think provided they are in stable water conditions with proper light & flow. I’ve done some wild things with Nems and never lost one.

With that said, yes you should be worried because it will sting everything it touches and severely damage SPS and other sensitive coral. Don’t allow it to touch other coral.

If it’s not attached to a rock, I’d find a rock that has a nice size hole in it that the Nem would like to make its home. In water, hold the nem‘s foot against the rock at the hole area and hopefully let it attach to the rock. Then set the rock in an area where’s there’s good flow and lighting.
Also make sure it cant go thru your overflow and your power heads are covered, if not turn them off until you can put foam or netting over them and it attaches.

IMHO RBTA are heartier than people think provided they are in stable water conditions with proper light & flow. I’ve done some wild things with Nems and never lost one.

With that said, yes you should be worried because it will sting everything it touches and severely damage SPS and other sensitive coral. Don’t allow it to touch other coral.

If it’s not attached to a rock, I’d find a rock that has a nice size hole in it that the Nem would like to make its home. In water, hold the nem‘s foot against the rock at the hole area and hopefully let it attach to the rock. Then set the rock in an area where’s there’s good flow and lighting.
Also make sure it cant go thru your overflow and your power heads are covered, if not turn them off until you can put foam or netting over them and it attaches.
I like that idea I just may give it a try

Back