New aquavitro Product: salinity

Seachem;371631 wrote: The big difference between Reef Salt and AV Salinity is that Salinity will have a lab tested guaranteed analysis with every batch produced! This is unlike any other salt manufactured today! Not only that, but it will be the most concentrated salt on the market and is manufactured in house at the Seachem facility! :thumbs:
Nice! Sounds like someone wants to come to one of the next meetings and bring a sample to show off. Nudge nudge wink wink

Does "concentrated" mean that we will make more gallons per container we buy, or that we'll make the same amount but the container won't be as large?

Also, I've been told (and it has held true in my tank) that Reef Salt has good CA and Mag numbers but is really low on alkalinity... mine (with no dosing of anything) is 5.9.
Will Salinity be addressing that?

thewarbrd;371994 wrote: How short is 'very shortly'? Was planning on a new bucket of salt this weekend, but can buy a smaller quantity to tide me over if it'll be within the next month, I definitely want to try salinity :)

When I was at Seachem 10 days ago, I was told ~6 weeks. Allow about 2 more for it to get to distributors and then to retailers - I'm estimating about another 4 weeks or so.

Jenn

That's a good estimate, Jenn. Thanks for the input. By more concentrated, that means the same size salt bucket will make more saltwater :)

Still working out the details on the official numbers, but we will definitely let you know as soon as we are certain.

Of course I'll defer to Seachem on the particulars... but one thing we did discuss, was that a "200-gallon" box of Instant Ocean actually makes less saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.023 (for example)... I believe the directions on the IO bulk box specify that it makes 200 gallons at 1.020 and most reefkeepers keep their specific gravity higher than that, so the "200-gallon box" doesn't really give a reefkeeper 200 gallons of ASW. This is something that the Aquavitro salt will be addressing - a "real" number of gallons at a more typical reef specific gravity.

Jenn

Yes. Our plan is to have the label say "mixes X amount of water at X specific gravity".

I hate to bring up a dead topic, but talking about salt in the other thread got me thinking. I use the Seachem Reef Salt, but I remembered hearing about this a while back. Is it available, cancelled, priced, etc...any updated information that I may have missed?

That's good to know, although it's probably all hanging out with Nessie, she can probably use a little mythical salt. lol

I also believe I remember hearing Jake Adams say they were going to have some as raffle prizes at IMAC also..

I was speaking with a rep at Seachem yesterday - they said, "by the end of the year".

It's coming - that's for sure but it's taking longer than anticipated.

I'll receive advance info when it does go to market so I'll post when I have more info.

Jenn

IMAC west which is held July 30 2010 is claiming this:

Seachem has a brand new product that they will be introducing at IMAC West. This will be the first time it will be seen anywhere. Seachem is releasing at IMAC West their new aquavitro salt called "salinity". We are going to raffle 12 buckets off. This will be done via coupon and Seachem will send the salt directly from Seachem to the winners - no need to worry about carrying it home on a plane! The salt is completely different from anything else out there. It is the first concentrated salt for one. These will be the first consumers to give it a try out side of Seachems testing realm!!!

JennM;427883 wrote: I was speaking with a rep at Seachem yesterday - they said, "by the end of the year".

It's coming - that's for sure but it's taking longer than anticipated.

I'll receive advance info when it does go to market so I'll post when I have more info.

Jenn

Just got off the phone with Seachem (business call). It should be out by the end of the month.

I'd say it's confirmed, now let's see if we can afford it! LOL

Hey everyone,
Salinity will be out around the end of the year. A lot goes into being able to produce a salt that is quality, but also can be offered at an affordable price. The chemical composition of the salt was determined a long time ago and has been being tested for quite a while here. It is mainly the cost factors and packaging that has held up the release. Rest assured though, it is not mythical and you will be able to get your hands on it soon enough :) Thanks for all of your support!

We lookn forward to it's debut! Thank you for taking the time to address the matter here!

Back