New blenny-trouble!

fishgardener

Market
Reaction score
I bought a new firetail blenny last night. He is a tiny thing about an inch and a half. Well everyone is picking on him. I expected maybe the starry blenny might but they don't look too much alike so I thought I might get away with it. The royal gramma and the hippo tang are actually biting it. I thought the royal gramma was going to swallow it, he opened his mouth so big! I was going nuts, envisioning my brand new little fish swallowed. It is a 40 gal breeder with tons of LR with a 15 gal sump/refugium. There are 2 firefish, one 2 1/2 inck hippo tang, chalk bass, royal gramma, chromis wrasse, starry blenny and the new firetail blenny. I like peaceful tanks. Has any one heard of tangs and grammas doing this. The starry decided to get in on the act this morning. I have a trap in the tank now, but catching him will be a trick
Sheryle

Sheryle,
Try giving him a place to hide, like a large snail shell or a small piece of pvc capped on one end. If he goes in to it to hide, you can simply lift him out in the shell or the pipe, etc... let me know if you need help. I can probably rig something up for you.
Bob

Oh, and yes. If he is that small he may be swallowed.

He really is small, a very slender fish. I came home from school and the trap had caught a blenny. It caught the starry blenny. I put him in the refugium of the sump for the moment. At least the two blennies can't fight. This afternoon when I fed the tank no one was attacking the little guy. But now I have 2 unfriendly blennies. I have a little 3 gal tank in the kitchen. I use it for frags mostly. If I could catch the little one, I was thinking of putting him in there. The firetail is so pretty, I 'm so bummed that the won't get along!:sad: Is 3 gal enough space. I don't know much about nano tanks and fish

Sheryle

Back