Status
Not open for further replies.

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hello ARC Members!

We are now commencing Phase III of our new Logo/Brand Development process.
Phase III entails Designing initial drafts.
Poll

Please feel free to submit draft ideas, or to "like" ideas! Everyone is welcome. I know a few members will use computer software, but don't be dissuaded if your idea is simply pencil and paper. It's just a draft; no points are awarded for completeness. We are looking for some fun and good ideas now.

This is not a thread for review and refining ideas. Those steps came before and after this, and are generally easier than creating unique ideas.

Logo Limitations and Guidance
Submissions will be considered based largely on the guidance from these conversations.

---
Vision
  • We want people to recognize our logo from a quick glance.
    • So it can still be detailed, but should not be complex. We don't want an image that looks like a mash-up of many images.
  • We don't want to be misconstrued as selling products or self-promotion.
    • We want to inspire a sense of community and welcomeness. We are a community of helpers.
  • As a non-profit, we want to communicate a care for nature and the environment.
  • While differentiating ourselves from other organizations is beneficial, it is not a requirement.
Font
  • Easily legible, and not blend into the background.
  • Should have soft edges, not overly sharp or angular ones. Our organization is not 'edgy'.
Overall Logo Design
  • Minimal color palette to 3 colors or less (plus optional black and/or white).
  • We want a flat logo design.
  • We want a logo indicative of a Reefing club, not a Fishing club. lol
Mascot/image
  • Fish are great, but not a requirement.
    • No Snails, Crabs, Shrimp, Urchins...
    • Corals, Anemones, or Fish are good.
  • We want an iconic appearance/shape associated with reefs
    • Clownfish are a popular choice
    • Royal Grammas seem to be universally agreed on as an excellent logo choice
    • Tangs and Butterflies also are great options... but may prove a little more of a challenge to make into a good logo
    • Corals and Anemones are options too.
    • ....remember, less complexity is better.
Logo can be a Pictorial Mark, Combination Mark, or Emblem.
  • https://99designs.com/blog/tips/types-of-logos/
  • Pictorial Mark - No words, just an image/picture
  • Combination Mark - A Picture, with "ARC", "Atlanta Reef Club" or something similar
  • Emblem - This is a possibility, but may not be in line with our image. Most emblems are either promoting sales or an image of elite-ness and high status. We want to project a welcoming non-profit image.
---

Thank you and we look forward to seeing some wonderful ideas!

Last edited:
So, along the lines of a more coral-centric coral logo as mentioned and just playing at tweaking what you have done already, working on the coral part- haven’t added a fish yet or full polyp extension but trying to keep it simple and monochromatic- ....those directions are rather complex....
D1D9D076-36E0-4C94-971E-9E0D9F6D1E36.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F8FFF6C-B11E-48AD-A489-A95021A2C681.jpeg
    5F8FFF6C-B11E-48AD-A489-A95021A2C681.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 74354850-FA60-4DB2-8376-26A6E0AA2E3E.jpeg
    74354850-FA60-4DB2-8376-26A6E0AA2E3E.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• 1B7FDEB1-2BFE-4264-9D2C-75D324063384.jpeg
    1B7FDEB1-2BFE-4264-9D2C-75D324063384.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 30
  • DC43B76A-D720-4C83-9C92-0E642328B4C6.jpeg
    DC43B76A-D720-4C83-9C92-0E642328B4C6.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
Playing around more, adding color etc- you can tweak and move things around and add color. Not really sure what you are looking for in the logo so any specific direction would be helpful.
3FC2C79F-903E-460F-8A5A-E12CF049C709.png

Attachments

• C0F36467-8A61-4B95-B42D-63609ABB699D.png
    C0F36467-8A61-4B95-B42D-63609ABB699D.png
    936.2 KB · Views: 21
  • E5846896-21C5-4827-BE35-C5B7D6B2F352.png
    E5846896-21C5-4827-BE35-C5B7D6B2F352.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
@sharis100 Love the designs! Just wanted to make sure that you understand we are not refining ideas yet.
Instead, we are just introducing unique ideas and drafts.

Changing fonts, placements, editing colors... these are all minor changes that will happen in the refining process.

Keep any new ideas coming!

Last edited:
Obviously a rough draft. No way would we actually use a radial gradient to color any logo. ..but it was faster than manually coloring each tentacle.

Someone more skilled than I, could do this much better, both in design and coloration.

RBTA.jpg

Oh, and here is also our old Logo design, and the current one... for reference.
Old ARC Logo.jpgbadge.jpg

@sharis100 Sorry for the delay, I just noticed that you asked for more specific direction. My computer screen blew up to the size of the images, and I just didn't see that beforehand. My apologies.

Unfortunately, the guidance gathered from the club and the board is limited to what can be found in the original post. There is a lot there, but I do agree and sincerely wish that it could be more specific. But for ethical reasons, I do not wish to subject my own preferences to override this guidance.

However, as an individual, I am happy to share my thoughts to help narrow things down.
  • Royal Grammas are awesome, easy to draw, and recognizable. I'd love to see somebody's idea for a Royal Gramma ARC logo.
  • People want corals or something in our logo, and I agree that is a great idea.
    • I'm open to the idea of a coral/nem and fish, or just a coral/anemone
  • I dont like surrounding a logo with a shape... by this, I mean, I think logos with required backgrounds look less professional, and removing the background can potentially detract from the logo.
  • I think the "Combination Mark" style is ideal. After brand establishment, we can use our Pictoral Mark independently, ...which I think this will be awesome after we expand our non-profit work/donations.
  • Otherwise, I think I am in agreement most of the feedback.

Thank you for your feedback. However, this thread is actually just for people to submit ideas, at the moment.

It's not for reviewing, discussing, and refining (which was in the previous few threads, and will be in the following ones). The reason for keeping these organized is two-fold: to not stifle creativity, and to not bias ourselves into a snowball effect.

Last edited:
We could also do a Tang Outline, any color or colors... and overlay it with text.
sailfin4.jpg

According to the Poll, it seems that the support for Tangs/Butterflies is almost double the support for other ideas.

All submissions are still welcome! But maybe we'd like to try to come up with some more Tang Logo ideas.
  • Tang Logo
  • Flat design (not 3D)
  • 1 to 3 colors, no gradients, keep it simple
  • Font that is legible

My idea for a new logo should have coral in it. Without coral there would be no reef. I would post a pic but bad drawings are no fun to look at. :)

Don't sell yourself short. Some of my best ideas have come from horrible concept drawings on a sticky note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back