New setup help!

zanski

Market
Reaction score
Okay here is a list for my 75 let me know if im forgetting anything!

1. Skimmer (undecided suggestions welcome)
2. Heater
3. Mag 7
4. Sump
5. 4 Maxijet 1200's
6. Wavemaker
7. 2x150 watt MH retro
8. 4x65 watt power compact w/ 4 lunar's

I'm a noob so be easy! Missing anything, or would anyone change anything?

I would swap out the wavemaker and Maxi's for Tunze's or, if you're on a budget (like I am), some Seios. A $35-$40 (mail order) Seio will put out more water in a wider stream than two Maxi 1200's.

On Skimmers, I love my Euroreef, but even mail order a new one is out of the question. I've heard good things about Coralife's new skimmers.

Also, if you haven't budgetted for one yet, an RO/DI unit. I got a 50gpd RO/DI unit (Typhoon series) from Air Water Ice (
a>) off eBay and have been very happy with it.

George wrote: I would swap out the wavemaker and Maxi's for Tunze's or, if you're on a budget (like I am), some Seios. A $35-$40 (mail order) Seio will put out more water in a wider stream than two Maxi 1200's.

On Skimmers, I love my Euroreef, but even mail order a new one is out of the question. I've heard good things about Coralife's new skimmers.

Also, if you haven't budgetted for one yet, an RO/DI unit. I got a 50gpd RO/DI unit (Typhoon series) from Air Water Ice (http://www.airwaterice.com/">http://www.airwaterice.com/</a>) off eBay and have been very happy with it.[/QUOTE]

Good call on the RO/DI unit didnt even think of it... Although I would have when I tried to do my first water change! hahaha

Couple other things I thought of:

Extra powerhead and heater appropriate for a 10 or so gallon bucket to mix up water changes.

Little stuff:
If you're building a stand, get one of these for your switches to turn stuff on and off: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_american_dj_pc100a_8switch_onoff_power_center?full_sku=100313636">http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_american_dj_pc100a_8switch_onoff_power_center?full_sku=100313636</a>
Get outdoor timers instead of indoor ones. The outdoor timers have short (6") extension cords off them for plugging into the outlet that won't hog up a power strip the way interior ones do.

If you have money to blow, check out the reefkeeper 2. It can control PH's with a wavemaker program (as well as several other sweet features). Also, no need for the bank of switches as the RK2 can control eight channels individually. If you go with tunze's, then no need for the RK2 unless you're planning some elaborate lighting sceme.

Are you sure you want a Mag 7 and not something higher? I've got a Mag 9 on a 30 gallon tank, but that's probably overkill ;)

Another option you may want to consider is just getting a http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10668&Ntt=scwd&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1">SCWD </a>with higher output pump. The SCWD's rob some of your pump performance. Some people hate these though. I like mine b/c it's never given me problems yet. The dual Tunze's is probably a better solution though.

If you want to run a fuge, then you'll need some kind of fuge light. You can take the cheap route like me and mod some CF lights from home depot for $25.

You may also want to think about a UV sterilizer and a QT tank. The 2X 150 MH's will put out a fair amount of heat so budget in some money for cooling fans in the canopy. Next summer you may have to invest in a chiller as well. With all that heat, evaporative losses could make refilling the sump daily with RO freshwater annoying, so you could also think about an auto-top-off.

Just throwing out some things to keep in mind. Expenses in this hobby add up quickly.

Awesome thanks! The mag 7 was free I'll see what kind of power it has and may change it. But, I well def. look into the other stuff

Expenses in this hobby add up quickly.

If not geometrically !!!

When I was teenager I became a $20 person (everything you need cost $20)

When I became a young adult became a $100 dollar person. (yada, yada)

When I started a family, I became a $1000 dollar person. (Huh!)

When I began to run a business I became a $5000.00 person

Now I've become a reefer... No time for the small bucks :lol2:

johnny

Refractometer

Test Kits CA, ALK, and Nitrate to start...

Zanski wrote: Good call on the RO/DI unit didnt even think of it... Although I would have when I tried to do my first water change! hahaha

Make sure you fill your tank with RO/DI water as well- no need to start off with a nitrate or phosphate problem!

mojo wrote: Make sure you fill your tank with RO/DI water as well- no need to start off with a nitrate or phosphate problem!

yeah i know i meant I would have been pissed carrying 20 gallons of water in my house. haha just use to the 26 gallon I use to have didnt need a ro unit for it just ran to the store. lol

I know where youll be able to buy a really nice used ASM G2 that would do awesome on that tank :)

Zanski wrote: Awesome thanks! The mag 7 was free I'll see what kind of power it has and may change it. But, I well def. look into the other stuff
If you have some good circulation pumps in the tank (Seio, Tunze, Maxijet, etc), the mag 7 would be fine to simply run water from the sump to the tank (not as a source of current). There have been some advocates of using a relatively weak pump on your sump return so that it increases the dwell time of the water with your skimmer rather than turning over your sump so fast because you're using the return pump as a source of circulation instead of just water movement.

Back