New to a reef tank

Thanks @ZapataInc.

Yeah, we have a good community here in Atlanta. I also strongly recommend every beginner to research/consider a Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby to pair up. Great additions to almost any reef tank.

Anemones are great in the reef tank; but should be considered carefully before adding. Once again... patience plays a key role. Some species, such as BubbleTip Anemones (BTAs: weak sting and highly mobile), can move a lot and pose a danger to themselves and others (fish and corals). That said, they can be very resilient and I’m happy Neo is prospering! Fun fact: Mushroom corals aren’t exactly corals despite this name among aquarists. They are anemones. However, they move so infrequently and possess such a mild sting, that they seem to act more like corals than anemones in our reef tanks. I mention this just to indicate that each type of animal is different; so some anemones (like mushrooms) don’t require as much consideration as a BTA or Carpet Anemone (Moderately mobile and strong sting) would.

Thank yous guys! I have some stuff to consider now lol. I'll post updates on my tank as I start getting it up and running.
(Building the stand right now but I caught my thumb on my table saw blade (5 stitches) so had to put it on hold a bit lolol)

Yes Coral will need a cycled tank. Wait for your tank to fully cycle. Here is a link to watch on how to cycle your tank.

Then I started slow. I added an orange spotted goby and a pistol shrimp. I continued to check my Ammonia, nitrites, and Nitrate everyday. I felt good as long as the Ammonia and Nitrites stayed 0. The nitrates will rise, that has a little leeway. My frist water change was at about a week and a half because I knew that I was going to get a pair of clowns and an anemone and some clean up crew. The consensus out there is that you shouldn't get an anemone as soon as I did but "Neo" is doing great so far. I was a little scared though. I continued to check my parameters every other day, just to make sure. Then I saw a post about someone giving out some pulsing xenia. That was one coral that I did want because of how they looked and the movement that they give. I met @FutureInterest and he gave me some as well as a small colony of Zoas. I talked with him for about 30mins. He has a wealth of knowledge. Then from there I met up with a couple more people from ARC and picked up some more coral from them. They also had a wealth of knowledge. And this is why I Love this community. They really do care about everyone here and are willing to help and answer questions.

Corals are living animals. So they will produce waste from the foods that you have to provide them. That food that you give will also begin to produce ammonia for the bacteria. Im far from an expert but someone else can probably verify this.
It was a pleasure meeting you. Glad they are doing well for you. :)

Back