Next DIY Projects: 1.Kalk Doser 2.Top-Off

rhomer wrote: Thanks guys for the advice. I currently have a calcium reactor on the system and my PH sits at about 8.0 during the day and 7.8 at night and my alk tends to be on the low range 3 - 4 mg /l. I was looking to add a kalk reactor to correct this more then dose calcium.

Unfortunatly used ones almost never come up and usually go for nearly full price. So I've been poking around to building my own.

Another thread hijacked.

Rob

Rob...

It's honestly quite simple to build one (even a pilot can do it)! All the items can be bought at Lowe's except for the pump. Mine is finally tuned perfectly for my 20GAL Reef. You just have to monitor it to make sure it's not over-dosing. It keeps my calcium/ph right where I want it. Good luck and let me know if you need a parts listing.

Mark

The effluent from the DIY Kalk reactor should be 12+. The RODI water slowly moving thru the kalk powder from the bottom going up will dissolve as much as the water can carry. It should be fully saturated. :) Everyone remembers middle school science class right? Water is the universal solvent... In this case we have really pure RODI water so it actively wants to dissolve that powder. :)

If you don't mind a drip system, I have a rubbermaid container with an IV drip attached that was designed to dose. Super cheap.

Uhh thanks Cameron :), but I was looking at a pressurized type that I can run inline with my topoff.

Rob

Yeah I figured. I do have a standard RO canister with 1/4" fittings sitting empty I would part with for $15. Same one some of the guys use as a DIY project.

Just trying to move some merchandise and I will shut up after this post. Starting to sound like a bad used car salesman.

rhomer wrote: I've been looking into doing something like this, I have a couple of questions.
What is your effluent PH?
How do you get the Kalk to mix?

Rob

The PH of the kalk mix is around 12, but to make sure I don't over shot my tank PH I add vinegar to drop the PH before it goes through the kalk mix. I get a small spike, but using my Octopus 3000 and it's PH dosing capabilities it works very well at maintaining the PH and toping off the tank with Calcium rich RO/DI water. Good luck!

Well this is about the easiest DIY project ever. It cost 34 dolloars at Lowes for the filter, but oh well. I will keep it in the sink till I'm sure no leaking. Next will be get the pickling lime at the store. I used John Guest fittings for the RO water.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
25065=1642-IMG_0887.jpg
>
25065=1642-IMG_0887.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0887.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

If someone wants to do this, I ended up with a few extra RO units and am asking what I paid for them which is $15 bucks. Cheaper than Lowes!

whooo hooo good job Rob, yeah they are super easy to build and maintain, I love mine.....just wish I had a larger system so it could empty a bit faster into the sump. Oh well, let us know how it works out. Also if youre looking for the pickling lime, Im not sure if there is a kroger by you but they sell it in the produce section. Its Mrs wadges too, or ou could go online to their site and buy it.

Back