Next Gen - Radion XR30W Pro

kf2008

Market
Reaction score
Shipping date is early 2013? I want one!

LEDs

White: 8 Cree XT-E Cool White (5w each)
Red: 4 Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red, 660nm (3w each)
Yellow: 2 Osram Oslon SSL Yellow, 590nm (3w each)
Green: 4 Cree XP-E Green, 520nm (3w each)
Blue: 8 Cree XP-E Blue, 468nm (3w each)
Royal Blue: 8 Cree XT-E Royal Blue, 442nm (5w each)
Indigo: 4 SemiLEDs UV, 415nm (2.5w each)
Ultraviolet: 4 SemiLEDs UV, 405nm (2.5w each)

i thought the original version only supported up to six color channels so wouldnt that make it impossible to upgrade?

I'm not sure on any migration plans as I've never owned an XR30W. How critical is it to migrate settings, etc?

Picoreefguy;805725 wrote: i thought the original version only supported up to six color channels so wouldnt that make it impossible to upgrade?

I'm pretty sure the puck needs to be replaced.

yea the original only has 5 colors but i think the motherboard only allows for connecting up to 6 colors so even with new pucks you could only add one more color but i could be wrong and also the power supply would likely have to be upgraded for the extra 20 watts of power

The Pro only has six channels. There is some discussion on reef central if the power supply is big enough. I think the Pro has 20 more watts. Which really isn't a lot, so maybe the power supply can handle that much. If not, I believe that part is $300. I don't think a $500 upgrade is feasable.

kf2008;805691 wrote: Shipping date is early 2013? I want one!

LEDs

White: 8 Cree XT-E Cool White (5w each)
Red: 4 Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red, 660nm (3w each)
Yellow: 2 Osram Oslon SSL Yellow, 590nm (3w each)
Green: 4 Cree XP-E Green, 520nm (3w each)
Blue: 8 Cree XP-E Blue, 468nm (3w each)
Royal Blue: 8 Cree XT-E Royal Blue, 442nm (5w each)
Indigo: 4 SemiLEDs UV, 415nm (2.5w each)
Ultraviolet: 4 SemiLEDs UV, 405nm (2.5w each)

At $950 a pop?

ecotech has stated they will have upgrade kits available for existing radion owners.. and they better since i bought 3 new ones.

Agree, and I was hoping that they would price these similar, or better yet identical, to the "stock" xr30w since the PRO would no doubt cannibalize it. Perhaps they are trying to offer the two as distinct product lines thus, justification for $200 increase. Either way, it's definitely not inexpensive.

gmpolan;805792 wrote: goodness, crazy pricing for one lighting unit

kf2008;805806 wrote: Agree, and I was hoping that they would price these similar, or better yet identical, to the "stock" xr30w since the PRO would no doubt cannibalize it. Perhaps they are trying to offer the two as distinct product lines thus, justification for $200 increase. Either way, it's definitely not inexpensive.

They pretty much said on Reef Central that they would continue forward with two models. The Pro would be the latest and greatest and constantly evolving.

RealFish;805833 wrote: They pretty much said on Reef Central that they would continue forward with two models. The Pro would be the latest and greatest and constantly evolving.

I'm thinking similar to ATI having a sunpower and powermodule T5's.

I hope both products would constantly evolve. One of the things they boasted about was its "modular" design, allowing the lights to expand with evolving technologies. I'd hate to have been "iPhoned" with this thing.

Back