Norton dies

kevin

Market
Reaction score
Just announced, Norton Died this morning at the Georgia Aquairum. More to come.

Yeah it does, at the present time, they do not know what caused his death, but a necropsy will be performed in order to figure it out.

This is the time that you do not want to be correct. It is a sad day in Georgia.

Dear Aquarium Staff and Volunteers,
We are saddened to announce that Norton, one of the Aquarium’s original whale sharks,
died today.
As many of you know, during the last few months Norton stopped eating and started
showing erratic swimming behavior. In response, exhaustive diagnostic tests were
conducted by husbandry and veterinary staff. Supplemental care was provided to Norton,
and the team was encouraged and hopeful his condition would improve. Despite every
effort of our team, his health continued to decline until his death early this morning.
Yesterday, husbandry staff noted a marked decline in Norton’s swimming behavior. A
team moved to administer care, and his blood work confirmed his decline in health. A
24-hour watch was put in place, and early this morning, Norton stopped swimming and
settled to the bottom. Divers brought Norton to the stretcher where additional blood
work confirmed his continued decline in health. After every option had been exhausted
to improve Norton’s health, the team made the decision to humanely euthanize him.
A necropsy (animal autopsy) will be performed to further our understanding of whale
sharks and study the cause of Norton’s decline in health. Norton’s remains will then be
cremated.
Ralph’s necropsy in January showed peritonitis, an inflammation of the membrane that
lines the abdominal cavity, as the cause of death. At this time, the exact cause of
Norton’s declining health is unknown. The team is investigating multiple theories for
any links between the deaths of the two animals. Several months ago, we observed both
Ralph and Norton stop eating within a few days of each other. One theory to this loss of
appetite is a series of treatments used last year to manage parasites in the Ocean Voyager
exhibit. The treatment is commonly used in both home and professional aquariums and
was used in a conservative manner in our exhibit. As a precaution, the Aquarium stopped
using this treatment after the loss of appetite was observed. We have not ruled out other
theories and will let the science lead us as we learn everything possible from the loss of
Norton.
The other whale sharks did not experience this course of treatment. Alice, Trixie, Taroko
and Yushan are all eating well.
It is our great effort to advance the worldwide awareness and scientific knowledge of
whale sharks that gives me pride and strength during this difficult time.
Sincerely,
Jeff Swanagan
President and Executive Director
Georgia Aquarium

This is a sad day for sure. but I can not help at raise an eyebrow at this statement:

One theory to this loss of
appetite is a series of treatments used last year to manage parasites in the Ocean Voyager
exhibit. The treatment is commonly used in both home and professional aquariums and
was used in a conservative manner in our exhibit. As a precaution, the Aquarium stopped
using this treatment after the loss of appetite was observed.

It has been rumored that the GA utilized parasite control like "kick-ich" and other products. I hope testing is done to make sure that it was not a by product of "treatments" such as this.

A shame for sure!

In all seriousness, as aquarists, we understand how despite the best care, things happen and animals die, and we hope to learn from these experiences. We should remember the dedication of the biologists (some members of this club) and that they are grieving most of all.

oh no...cmonn not that video. Honestly this is really sad, i really hope the media doesnt show this as another "stain" on the ga aquarium's reputation...I am in the process of starting to volenteer there myself. I cant see the media showing it any other way though. i remember the aquarium in japan where we are getting hte whale sharks from had briefly said they would halt the program until a proper report was given for the death of ralph. Oh well yeah it is really sad. as for hte cremation, well if atlanta starts smelling like fish and chips we'll know to stop for a moment of silence....

Stupid comments of people trying to be funny about cremating a whale ARE NOT FUNNY. Please stop making them. How would you feel if the animal you invested your career into died, and people made fun by making bad jokes. You are giving ARC a bad image. Show respect.

They came from Taiwan, not Japan, and the carcass goes to a landfill.

I agree that the media will try to find controversy - and that is not difficult, as there are people that feel that we should not have ANY zoos, aquariums (public or private) or any fishing (sustainable or not).

We have a great responsibility to the animals in our care. Everybody serious about this hobby knows this, and we tend to be more compassionate than most about animal issues (look at the posts about dogs and cats here..or people in tears because their corals died). Public aquariums are no different, other than the fact that what they do is often cutting edge and in front of millions of people. This is a time for us to support GAI and its biologists and veterinarian staff. I am sure others will point fingers (often out of gross ignorance) but we all have the same goal - the health of the animals.

jmaneyapanda;47381 wrote: Stupid comments of people trying to be funny about cremating a whale ARE NOT FUNNY. Please stop making them. How would you feel if the animal you invested your career into died, and people made fun by making bad jokes. You are giving ARC a bad image. Show respect.

I thought it was funny, What on the other hand is not funny is bringing in more animals, just for bragging rights, when you can't keep the ones you already have alive.

I do not think there were any bragging rights involved.

The Ocean Voyager exhibit was built for one purpose - whale sharks, with eventual breeding. Whale Sharks have been kept in captivity for over twelve years.

The decline in Norton's health was well known, as was the fact that Taiwan was closing the door to catching whale sharks (for food, mind you, GAI saved them from the dinner plate, rather than a happy life in the ocean). The need for males was obvious.

Please check your facts before commenting. Ad hominem arguments are not appropriate.

I would see the "WOW factor" as a bragging right, but maybe some don't.

BTW, I did check THE facts, but facts don't really matter when you state an opinion.

SuAsati;47391 wrote: I would see the "WOW factor" as a bragging right, but maybe some don't.
The "WOW factor" was already there from day one. Bringing more in hardly adds to it.
SuAsati;47391 wrote: BTW, I did check THE facts, but facts don't really matter when you state an opinion.
SuAsati;47391 wrote: What on the other hand is not funny is bringing in more animals, just for bragging rights, when you can't keep the ones you already have alive.
Then don't express your opinion by making a statement of fact. In court, this is where the opposing council pops up and says, "Objection, your honor. Counsel is stating opinion, not fact."

Many of us are founders, volunteers, or on staff at GAI, or at least frequent visitors.

Back