Norton Passes away

rhomer

Market
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was posted yet, but Norton the Atlanta Aquarium's last original whale shark died yesterday.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/06/13/whale.shark.dies.ap/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/06/13/whale.shark.dies.ap/index.html</a>

Rob

Sorry, for the repeat, I did a quick look and didn't see anything about it so I figured I would put it out in case anyone missed it.

Rob

Perhaps its a good thing that there's a new thread on Norton... It gives us another shot at doing this right :).

I'm still saddened that he passed away, he was truly beautiful. Also, I'm still very curious as to the cause and whether this death was related to Ralph's. They keep eluding to some anti-parasite medication that they dosed the entire ocean voyager display with. I'd like to know what that was, as they say its "commonly used" in home aquariums. I guess we'll get more details as this unfolds.

Good point - the medication appears to be the most likely variable, since the other whale sharks are fine. However it is hard to say if it is a medical or behavioral response to the medication.

The only other thing I can think of is that they were reaching sexual maturity - and we do not know much about what happens to them at that time - does anyone know if they stop eating naturally during this period or show any other atypical behavior that may have made them more prone to difficulties during this period?

Whale sharks have been successfully kept in much smaller exhibits, and the other 4 whale sharks are fine, so it does not appear to be a variable associated with captivity or exhibit conditions.

The Medication does appear to be the prime suspect, but was there any known affect on the other inhabitants in the tank. I dont know if that was discussed.

I would imagine that losses of smaller fish in an exibit that size is normal but I wonder was there an unusually high loss lately.

SShindell;47652 wrote:
Whale sharks have been successfully kept in much smaller exhibits, and the other 4 whale sharks are fine, so it does not appear to be a variable associated with captivity or exhibit conditions.

I beg to differ.

They did announce the suspected chemical/medication that was used to treat the Voyager exhibit this morning on the radio. The station was 94.1 and they had an interview with someone important at the GA Aquarium. I cannot remember the name of the chemical ... it was difficult to pronounce.

SuAsati;47697 wrote: I beg to differ.

Would you care to explain? The 2 females that have been in the exhibit for more than a year are doing well and eating fine. The two new sharks seem to be doing well (I hear from divers that they are eating like pigs).

SuAsati;48033 wrote: No, sorry.

Thanks for dropping this :thumbs:. I'm sorry that I reposted this thread. I had not been on the ARC site since early May and came back after I read on CNN about the death.

I discovered all the angst immediatly after I posted this.

Rob

rhomer;48035 wrote: Thanks for dropping this :thumbs:. I'm sorry that I reposted this thread. I had not been on the ARC site since early May and came back after I read on CNN about the death.

I discovered all the angst immediatly after I posted this.

Rob

And you wonder why things get out of control. Passive agressiveness is also an instigative characteristic, I could go all out and let tempers flare and animosity build to the point I get banned too.... But I will save the trouble and stay out. Thanks for having me here so far. Good Luck to everyone.

GEORGIA AQUARIUM COMPLETES WHALE SHARK NECROPSY
Gross findings reported and analysis begins
ATLANTA (June 14, 2007) – The Georgia Aquarium completed a nine-hour gross
necropsy of Norton, the whale shark that died early Thursday morning, June 13, 2007.
Norton weighed 3,029 pounds (1,376.8 kilograms) and measured 21 feet 5 inches long
(652 centimeters). Aquarium scientists report that the gross necropsy did not produce
any immediate findings that explain the possible causes in the decline of Norton’s health.
The Georgia Aquarium believes that the decline in the health of both Norton and Ralph,
the whale shark that died in Jan. 2007, is related to their inappetance. During the
necropsy of Ralph, findings showed that he had an atypical stomach, which was thinwalled
and perforated; Norton’s stomach appeared normal. Studies will continue to see if
there is a link between their inappetance and a series of treatments used in 2006 to
manage parasites in the Ocean Voyager exhibit, or if there is another cause. The
treatment is commonly used in both home and professional aquariums and was used in
a conservative manner. As a precaution, the Aquarium stopped using this treatment after
the loss of appetite was observed.
Alice, Trixie, Taroko and Yushan, the Aquarium’s other whale sharks, did not experience
this same course of treatment, and they are all eating their complete diet and exhibiting
normal behavior.
Jeff Swanagan, President and Executive Director of the Georgia Aquarium said, "While
we may never know the exact cause of the decline in Norton’s health, the scientific
learning that will come from animals being here, and most important, being appreciated
by the millions of people who have had a chance to observe them, will be an important
contribution to future generations. Everything we learn is a new discovery, and we are
sharing this information with shark researchers and scientists around the world.”
The samples taken from the necropsy are currently being studied by scientists across
the country. The process of analyzing the data takes many months. Samples from the
necropsy have been stored at temperatures of -80 degrees Fahrenheit, so that they may
be evaluated with future technology and shared with other institutions to advance the
understanding of whale sharks.
In Ralph’s necropsy, scientists discovered that whale sharks have a different mechanism
to control eye movement and a much more complex way of filtering water to catch food
than previously believed. Additional tests were conducted during Norton’s necropsy so
there will be a better understanding of these systems. These discoveries and others will
be studied in further detail and submitted to scientific journals.
“No one has ever done many of the things that our team does every day at the Georgia
Aquarium. And the mail that we receive, the emails that are sent to us and the
comments our staff has heard from more than five million adults and children who have
walked through our doors, tell us there are incomparable education and
research rewards that come from the Georgia Aquarium," Swanagan said.

Of course, no one wants to see these magnificent creatures die, but the necropsies are proving to be beneficial in that they are teaching scientists more about these animals.

RIP ralph and norton!

FutureInterest;48057 wrote: Unfortunately, they're no closer to understanding why the big guy died :(.

Yet, that is. Necropsies are not a simple or quick thing. They will certainly run histopathology or tissue samples, and likely even cultures, which can takes some time.

Regarding the meds used, the AJC suggested two in particular. I have used both regularly when I worked at a Koi farm, and they were both ridiculously safe, even with 20X overdoses. If one of these did cause the problem, it would've been a "collision" impossible to avoid, as such drugs are used safely frequently.

There was a really good article today (Friday) in the AJC about why Georgia Aquarium shouldn't have kept those whale sharks in the first place. Go read it.

AJC <u>SPECULATED</u> that it mightve ben "prizan" or dylox. I have used both to get external parasites such as anchor worms off of koi. Now, obviously, I have zero experience with whale sharks, but these drugs are not very dangerous for use in other aquatics.

That AJC article I read was quite biased and speculative. In fact, nearly half the articles in that "newspaper" are some biased one sided diatribe.

Speculation and second guessing will unfortunately always surround these great fish. The way I see it, they are here, so GA Aq staff should (and is) making sure they are doing the best they can to care for them properly.

Something to think about- we all keep marine organisms in our tanks. The science and technology to do what we do today was learned from someone many years ago. Those pioneers ABSOLUTELY</em> lost many animals. Yet, they learned, and problem solved, and arrived at the place we are today. In a hobby we all participate in. In my opinion, the GA aquarium has made a vastly far superior start than our forefathers did with reefing, and yet no one criticizing and condemning reefkeepers as a whole here on this forum.

I know that last comment ws perhaps a bit salty, and was not intended to be antagonistic, nor dirogatory, but instead thought inspiring.

Back