Norton Passes away

I don't understand why there's speculation as to what the drugs they used are... All I want to know is what they dosed and why. I'm not trying to ascertain whether they were negligent in dosing it. I'm not accusing anyone. I know there's no negligence here, their jobs depend on it so I'm sure they must've researched it like crazy and did what they felt was the best thing for their inhabitants. I just don't see why they're so reluctant to release the information of what they dosed the tank with?? :(

Because its nobodies business but theres. You may not second guess, but thousands or more will. And this information is totally insignificant to the matter at hand if you do not feel their actions were appropriate.

You can be assured though, that this information was shared with other insittuions which may work with whale shark or other large elasmobranchs.

Guess I'm just too curious for my own good. I'm suprised noone else seems to care what they dosed with :(.

Dont get me wrong- I am curious too. But, I certainly dont hold it against them for not talking. I am confidant it is not bleach or poison or anything like that, so I can accept that I will probably never know. There is a reason the GA Aquarium hired the likes of Dr. Carlson and Ray Davies, and many others- they know what they're doing. There is sometimes we will have to accept that.

Of course we all keep marine organism in our tank, this is a atlantareefclub. But not all of us keep something that have problems staying alive. A vastly superior start by purching whale sharks from fisherman in Taiwan and try to see if it will live is not conservation-The AJC article talked about just that. So as with my first reply: you should go read the article first. The thing made no mention about medication or anything of that nature.

By the way. I purchase all my coral as frags or aqua/maricultured, and my fish from aquaculture sources. I use all cultured live rocks from FL and dry rocks from Key West. I don't take much from the sea, and if I take it, i make sure it can live a reasonably good life in my tank.

Oh yea, this is not meant to be negative or Antagonist, I just want you to read it.

You know I kept a tang in my 4 gallon nano. It was great for conservation when people come to my house and look at it too. However, I didn't have a team of expert come over to my house and tell me why it's dying.

I hate wanting to know more about something and that information not being readily available :p. So after spending the greater part of this morning reading about the DHTA (Dylox, Masoten, Trichloron etc.) and its common usages and pitfalls... It appears to me that the GAI might've made some miscalculations on dosing this commonly used terrestrial/aquatic pesticide. It's been shown that it can be very safely and effectively used, but the danger of using it is well documented as overdosing apparently causes appetite loss in sharks and rays and eventual death... which is the very symptom seen in the dead whale sharks. An interesting inquiry would be whether other sharks in that system were also symptomatic.

Anyways, it seems that they unintentionally screwed up, it happens and I feel for them and find its understandable when you're dealing with a tank of that size which is unprecedented. Combine that with a creature of that size and you have a lot more variables to deal with... Also the whale sharks could of been more sensitive to the drug than other sharks... Which could be related to them being filter feeders and thus getting a higher dosage than other sharks by filtering it out of the water? Could be... but I'm just a patent nerd, I'm sure they thought of that. :p

NEWS FLASH: AJC reports that the GAI finally acknowledges using Dylox.
a>

Back