Old Silicone?

trigger-happy

Market
Reaction score
Hey there, just purchased my first tank, been living vicariously through my S.O.'s multiple tanks for a while. Ended up paying $100 for a 55 gal tank + stand + equipment on Craigslist...and I think I overpaid, because the tank is filthy and needs some serious work, the stand is falling apart, and the equipment is missing parts.

However...I've decided to make fixing this thing up a personal project. I'm buying lumber to build a new stand and a matching canopy. The tank itself, however...judging by the design of the frame and the unusual thickness of the glass, along with the glass support brace in the middle of the top, I think this tank is probably from the 1970's...and it's showing its age. Namely, the silicone used to seal it inside and out feels dry and flaky.

So, here's my question: I know I need to re-seal this tank before I ever put water in it, but do I need to remove all of the old silicone BEFORE putting new on, or do I just go over top of it? If I go over top of it, will the old silicone interfere with the new creating a water-tight seal against the glass?

Thanks!

Not as much as possible, ALL of it. The new silicone will not bond with the old silicone and you'll have leak city on your hands.

I just did this last month, take your time and remove all the old silicone ( the silicone holding the glass together in a tank that small should be fine ) dont be afraid to go heavy around the bottom seam where you wont see it anyway. use GE clear window silicone, dont use the one with anti-mold agents.

Will do, thanks, both of you. Extra thanks, Ryuchi - I was concerned I'd have to buy expensive, aquarium-specific silicone to ensure it was safe. Glad to know there's another option.

salt reefer;444896 wrote: hd also carries aquarium silicone pretty cheap to .

I've only ever seen it in the small tubes, not the ones that fit in a caulk gun, and I believe the small tubes are like $8 (here anyways) so you'd probably spend 4-5x as much to use the "aquarium silicone".

Found the GE Silicone 1 at the Athens Home Depot for just over $3 a tube. Picked up two tubes to start, I've no idea how much I'll need. Thanks for you input, everyone.

au01st;444834 wrote: Not as much as possible, ALL of it. The new silicone will not bond with the old silicone and you'll have leak city on your hands.
I should clarify my earlier statement. The reason I said as much as possible is because you cant take out the silicone in between the glass without disassembling the tank.

you'll know if the silicone needs to be replaced the minute you start removing it...

if it's relatively easy.. it needs to be replaced, if it's mission impossible, it's probably been replaced recently..

I used a typical utility knife blade and put several wraps of tape on the top side, it made it easier to hold, but still chewed my fingers up pretty good...

The cheapest one, no additives. I'll stop by HD on my way home from work and get the SKU if you still need it.

I was gonna pick up some 3/4" PVC bends for a jawfish burrow, and another 1/4" JG valve, so it's not out of the way.

hey au, if you dont mind...none of the home depots carry GE in black here, can u see if they do there? It would be much appreciated. BTW the lights still kicking.

I just went with All Glass Aquarium's Black aquarium silicone... it's only $10 / tube and you know you're putting the right stuff on...

Nope, no black. All of the silicones now say not safe for aquarium use. The ones I've used in the past did not say that. I don't know if their formula changed or what.

Back