Old Silicone?

Thanks AU, i found some at Grainger that DAP makes that is FDA certified and is food safe. I would say that its fish safe too.

au01st;446960 wrote: Nope, no black. All of the silicones now say not safe for aquarium use. The ones I've used in the past did not say that. I don't know if their formula changed or what.
Its been at least a year and a half that the GE silicone I has said not for aquarium use. I was gonna use it when I built a sump then and decided not to. Almost all household silicone is gonna have microban in it now. Try walking back to where the acrylic is at in a red tube you will see 100% silicone. This is what I used on cliffs sump and its been fine.

johnr2604;447016 wrote: Its been at least a year and a half that the GE silicone I has said not for aquarium use.

That's about the last time I bought a tube, too, lol.

a>

I guess its a crap shoot then because the one everyone says to use GE 1 also says not recommended for aquarium use if you call them.

RyanP;447950 wrote: I guess its a crap shoot then because the one everyone says to use GE 1 also says not recommended for aquarium use if you call them.

I understand this to be a sealant and not an adhesive, I think there's a diff....Something to think about maybe..

Phil

bratliff;447695 wrote: I hope that works, but, read the back label before you buy it. I swear HD carries the same stuff and it reads somewhere "not for use below waterline" or something similar...

You were right, i got to the store and read the back. It said not to use under the water line. Cant find this stuff anywhere

Rbredding;446932 wrote: I just went with All Glass Aquarium's Black aquarium silicone... it's only $10 / tube and you know you're putting the right stuff on...

Where'd you get it from?

RyanP;448022 wrote: Where'd you get it from?
online search for
all glass aquarium silicone... white tube with red lettering.. i believe its the 10oz size...

thik mine came off ebay.. but almost any local fish sponsor should be able to order you some..

yeah i just got off the phone with glass cages and they have a 18 dollar minimum shipping charge. So all together it would have been 4 tubes $32(what they recommended) + $18 shipping = $50 to reseal. Think i might rethink using the black.

bratliff;448060 wrote: Well, I ordered https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/211961/product.web">this stuff</a>. I hope it'll work for what I'm doing. It's supposed to be delivered today, so, I'll get to work with it this weekend. I really wish there were a good local source for this stuff.

I used the GE Silicone 1 when I first built my sump/refugium for my 90g to hold the glass panes in place. It failed after a couple days of being submerged. I thought I'd just bought the wrong stuff.[/QUOTE]

how long did u let it cure?

I had a similiar experience with a never used, but previously owned tank. I removed all of the silicone and thoroghly cleaned the seams with acetone, then rinsed then dried and applied a generous bead of aquarium silicone. Waiting almost 10 days before filling the tank. Leaked like a sieve. Went to Wal-mart and brought a whole set-up for $100. For me, it wasn't worth the aggravation. I hope you have a better experience.

Tony_Caliente;448388 wrote: I had a similiar experience with a never used, but previously owned tank. I removed all of the silicone and thoroghly cleaned the seams with acetone, then rinsed then dried and applied a generous bead of aquarium silicone. Waiting almost 10 days before filling the tank. Leaked like a sieve. Went to Wal-mart and brought a whole set-up for $100. For me, it wasn't worth the aggravation. I hope you have a better experience.

words of encouragement

"FDA/Food Safe" doesn't always</em> mean aquarium safe (esp. saltwater-safe). It may be....but not all are. I would call aquarium manufacturers and see what they use. I bet you can find the black silicone.

Petco has it in black...perhaps if you call AGA that will sell it to you in large tubes designed for caulking guns. I purchased silicone tube directy from Perfecto many years ago.
Aqueon-Aquarium-Black-Silicone-Aquarium-Sealant.aspx

Tony_Caliente;448509 wrote: "FDA/Food Safe" doesn't always</em> mean aquarium safe (esp. saltwater-safe). It may be....but not all are. I would call aquarium manufacturers and see what they use. I bet you can find the black silicone.

Yeah that stuff is a no go. I found it at glasscages.com for like 8 bucks a tube, but they have 18 dollar minimum so it was gonna be like 50 bucks for just silicone. I paid 50 bucks for the tank, lol. Probably just gonna get GE 1 in clear from wally world for 4 bucks a tube

I am using Momentive RTV sealant. I bought it at grainger for about $9 a tube. It was recommended on several reef sites.

4UH10

Here it is for $14.95 / tube... I used 2 tubes when I did my 90 gallon aquarium with 2 overflows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-3oz-All-Glass-Aquarium-100-BLACK-Silicone_W0QQitemZ290359243586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439ac27342">14.95+41.95+7.95 = 37.85 and no worries about it...</a>

(I assumed they would combine shipping, they may not.. then again, as I said before, Call Marine Design in Johns Creek or Creation Reef in Woodstock - I've SEEN the exact same product in their stores so I know they can get you however many tubes you need..

Back