ORA Corals

Im with Jeremy here.. I dont buy into the name hype... I have a few things that are "named" but thats not why I bought them.. Im going to start selling ANS corals.. brown buttons.. $200 a polyp.. Its all a giant marketing ploy to beat you out of a few more bucks..

Jeremy I see your point but I see no way to fix it. Certificate can be forged.

If I own Joe's blood red and I sell 20 frags of it. Five of them could be real and the rest could all be fakes.

My point is I see no way to do what I think you would like.

I guess we all have parts of this hobby that bug us mine is $350 for 1/4" frag of a chalice. Especally when the supposed colony is only 2" wide. Thats not a colony that is a frag. How do you even know what it will look like when it is a colony. Sometimes a coral will not have enough room to repeat a visual pattern at that size. I guess thats why I only have 3 small chalices.

Joe

ares;338556 wrote: I personally do not care if I buy joe smiths blood red acro from joe smith. as long as it is the same thing, thats good enough for me. as impossible as it sounds that an accurate lineage could ever happen, it does... Ive bought a few LE corals, and have not once gotten a fake, that I could tell. which is all that I really ask. if you have a fake that cannot be distinguished from the real, then it may as well be real. ignorance is bliss and its also your gain.

So, in this case, what is a "fake" and what is a "real"? If there is no difference, then the whole idea is garbage. You say you have some "lineaged" corals- how? What can you do to show ME this lineage? If you cant show something, it isnt lineaged. You are just content with your purchase. But it absolutely is NOT lineaged. Lineages show definitive relatedness. Saying that, to you, it looks the same is absolutely NOT that.

ares;338567 wrote: put it a different way. someone posts a picture of their tank... and you see this coral in it that is just stunning to you. if its a named coral you can head right to your favorite stomping grounds and buy that exact coral. that sure is simple isnt it? if it didnt have a name, pretty blue acro might turn up alot of results and be very ambiguous.

Absolutely NOT!!!! If you look at my tank, and I tell you I have XXXXX Acro, you will NEVER be able to buy one, sight unseen, and be content that its the same. Because of the way economics and imperialism works. There is fraud, and there are scams. If you like the way THAT coral looks, you buy THAT coral. Otherwise, it might as well say "Pretty blue acro".

sailfish;338572 wrote: Jeremy I see your point but I see no way to fix it. Certificate can be forged.

If I own Joe's blood red and I sell 20 frags of it. Five of them could be real and the rest could all be fakes.

My point is I see no way to do what I think you would like.

I guess we all have parts of this hobby that bug us mine is $350 for 1/4" frag of a chalice. Especally when the supposed colony is only 2" wide. Thats not a colony that is a frag. How do you even know what it will look like when it is a colony. Sometimes a coral will not have enough room to repeat a visual pattern at that size. I guess thats why I only have 3 small chalices.

Joe

Yep, Joe, thats exactly my point. Fakes, reals, with no way to determine a difference? Thats marketing BS, plain and simple.

You are also right, I cant forsee a solution on the horizon. But tehre is a feasible one out there. Like I mentioned, the AKC registers and monitors dogs, an organization for corals can also be created. As I work at animal facility, we use a system called ISIS, whioch tracks all the linages of every specimen in every zoo. So, If I get an animal from Fred zoo in South Dakota, I can trace its ancestry back for many many generations. Do I think these will ever go into effect for corals? No, never.

I am totally lost in your standpoint, because you keep validating my arguments. According to your previous two posts, there is no such thing as a fake vs. real, and there is no linegae. You just buy what you like, despite the name, correct?

Im sorry, but you are not making sense to me. You say you buy things because of their looks. But you like the names because they tell you the looks? I dont mean to sound condescending or brash, but that is a really naive statement. That is why the whole "lineage" nonsense came about in coral culture. Because the naming system got to vague, indescript, and flawed.

What is wrong with saying that you are looking for Acropora yongei that is bright fluroescent green, instaed of "green slimer". How does this make your process of "buying what you like in terms of look" any different whatsoever?

Back