Oxygen level

If the bigger skimmer draws more oxygen it will. :) What type of skimmer do you have now?

Are you worried your oxygen levels are low? Are you seeing signs of that?

It is not the air in the skimmer (well not much anyway) it is the removal of organic waste which consumes oxygen that improves dissolved oxygen in the water from a skimmer standpoint. A larger skimmer (in theory) pulls more organic waste so less oxygen is consumed by that waste.

Temp, pressure and salinity have more to do with the amount of oxygen than a skimmers bubbles. It isn't about how much air you inject into the water. It is about how much is dissolved and that primarily happens on the surface of the water. Agitate the surface of your tank will likely have a better effect on dissolved oxygen than a skimmer (disclaimer... assumes a large surface area).

BTW, debate suit on... this one is going to get some Panda-like questioning I bet.

I have a ccs 220 and about 300gal in system.
I have lost 4 fish in the last few days since temp. is up to 85. Fish are at surface more "chomping" makeing air bubbles.

Lower temp, lower salinity and increase flow. Don't lower temp or salinity below safe levels however.

What part of the display constitutes the 300g? What is the in-tank turnover (the gph of all the pumps and/or CL in your display)?

The higher the temperature, the less oxygen can dissolve into the water. I would work on lowering the temperature.

If you are really worried about air, add an air stone for a day or two. Another option is to make sure that one of your powerheads makes the water surface agitated/ripple. That will bring in more air.

A larger skimmer will add more O2 because you have a larger volume of water passing through the skimmer.

I have a 175gal bowfront, 75gal refuge, 40gal sump.
My refuge and sump are in basement.
I have a 2800 gph main pump, but with my height, I am probably at 1800gph.
I also have 4 300 gph power heads in my display tank.
My refuge is open, so air should get in there. I also have a lot of ripple effect on the top of the surface of my display, I like the look from the MH lights.
I may go to my lfs to get a chiller, or I my pick up of bigger skimmer for sale.
I don't really want to spend another $1000 though, buy hey, I went this far.

petrasb;31234 wrote: My refuge and sump are in basement.
I have a 2800 gph main pump, but with my height, I am probably at 1800gph.

How are you calculating this number? I suspect it is quite a bit lower than this if your display isn't in the basement... :), but you could have one heck of a pump!

Have you looked at RC's headloss calculator?

I also have 4 300 gph power heads in my display tank.
My refuge is open, so air should get in there. I also have a lot of ripple effect on the top of the surface of my display, I like the look from the MH lights.
I may go to my lfs to get a chiller, or I my pick up of bigger skimmer for sale.
I don't really want to spend another $1000 though, buy hey, I went this far.

I understand. I'm trying to do a tank on a budget... this hobby gets pricey! Depending on what the hloss calculator determines, you could be looking at less than 10x per gallon turnover.

You could look at getting some TUNZE stream style pumps or Koralia (recall on #2s and #3s) Powerheads or look at doing a closed loop, but regardless, imo, you should increase your in tank turnover. If you are having heat issues, the phs will add some heat to the aquarium.

I have another question for you, any algae in the tank? Also, what are you using to measure salinity and what is your salinty?

More flow won't hurt, but you shouldn't be seeing an oxygen problem in the tank unless you have a lot of fish and some poor water quality.

Your tank is too hot at 85. Most temp guages are notoriously inaccurate. It may be reading 85, but it might be more like 87 or 88. Get that temp down first. What are your other water params?

Main display is upstairs. (175 bowfront)

From main pump in basement to surface of water in display tank is 10'.

My amoinia 0, nitrate 10-15, and nitite 0.
PH 8.3
Salt 1.024 using a profilometer. (look thru thing)
I did have about 20 fish from 2"-6" long.
I have 250lbs of lr, 300lbs of ls
Lots of "Cheto" on refuge as well.

3 250w MH, 4 96W pc.

Also have 4 96w pc on refuge that come on at night.

Petrasb,

10' isn't too long a trip, but pipe size can severly restrick the flow, try this link to see what your actual headloss is...

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php">http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php</a>

as for the fish numbers, you have "about" 20 or you have 20? :)

Is this a reef tank or FO? If it is a FO tank then I don't see any reason not to drop the salinity down to 1.021 - 1.022, and I would verify that your salinity reader is properly calibrated. Is it a refractometer? like [IMG]http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=MD2101">this?</a>

Yes I use a refractometer.
I have a lot of coral, sps, lps, 4 claims, zoos, polips, softies. I have spend a lot to have all of this in the 5 months that I have been in this hobby.
And now that I count down, I only have 12 fish left. averaging 4". The biggest is a 8" Blond Naso Tang.

A lot of critters that need oxygen. Regardless, I would increase the in tank turnover immediately. I believe Andy at MRC has some TUZNE 6045's in stock, these will put out about 1000gph a piece in the tank and cost right about $100.00. Ask about the ARC discount.

Add 2x of those, they are quite easy to install w/ the built in magnet mount, or another type of powerhead to increase flow. SPS need a lot of flow, 60x works well for some species, but as this is a mixed reef, I don't think you need to target that high a turnover.

I'd look to see if a pump or heater is putting the heat in your tank, check to make sure they are all functioning properly. If you have a clip-on fan (walmart carries them) you can blow that over the water's surface. This will help reduce the temp and create more surface agitation for gas exchange.

A rough calculator (and very rough as this depends on a lot of factors) is 3" for each square foot of surface area in the main display. These numbers aren't very valid, but they will give you an idea of what may be too much for your tank. I am guessing 12 4" fish is right at a suggested limit on your tank. 20 4" fish would be a lot, but you can do it if you have a really good filtration system and do regular water changes.

I would suggest getting that temp down and start in on a water change.

I agree with Cameron that you should be trying to lower the temperature of your tank. The lower the temperature the more readily oxygen will be absorbed into the water. To accomplish this you can get a chiller. In the alternative just use some household fans to blow copious amounts of air onto your refugium and sump. You'll be amazed at how effective evaporation is in regulating your tank's temperature. I run a 250w mh and t5's and only use fans with a temperature controller and so far the tank has yet to exceed 79. I think its also a good idea to keep at least one large frozen water bottle in the freezer in case of overheating emergencies so you can just throw it in your sump to cool things down if they're in the critical range. Yes I would classify your current tank temperature as critical if its causing fish to gasp for breath and has caused multiple fatalities already...

Good luck.

Yay my 100th post!

Ok,
Extra fans really helped my temp. Now down to 81-82.
About 8 days ago I had a Scotts Ferry Wrase jump out of my tank. I have one of the glass lids removed, so it would be easy to feed & clean, being my tank is so tall. Well I closed the top of it up and this is what I believe pushed my over the limit. I had my oxygen levels checked and it was very very low.
Once I removed the peace of glass, it tolk 2hours and the fish got the color back and started eating and acting normal.
I aslo purchased a MCR-R 4 skimmer last night. Rated for up to 1100 gal. So skimming should not longer be a problem.:yes:

Back