ozone use

I have been re-tuning my skimmer, and have a bit of a situation. Even though I am using the same brand pump, I jumped from one injector to two. I have the skimmer running, with the ozonizer and pump plumbed, but currently, only the air pump running. Here's why- I have good foam production, but I have a alot of microbubbles ending up back in the tank- especially after a feeding. The skimmer reacts whenever soemthing organic goes in the tank, and "de-foams" for a little while. My concern is this- if I turn on the ozonizer, I am afriad the microbubbles will be ozone laden, and end in the tank with the fish and corals. This is bad, right? I am brainstorming different ways to resolve this microbubble issue.

Youre likely getting more microbubbles because now you have twice the ammount of air injected to the skimmer (because you added a second injector). FYI, you'll get more production by increasing your skimmer volume before adding a second injector (ie adding an extension).

You shouldnt need to add the ozone to both injectors... one is enough. Adding "x" ammount of ozone to one injector or two injectors still equals "x".

The "de-foaming" is normal... it will go back to normal within an hour or so.

As long as your running your skimmer thru your sump and also injecting the appropriate dose of ozone, you shouldnt have to worry about ozone laden microbubbles... personally Id be more concerned with seeing the microbubbles in the display rather then if they still have ozone within them.

Thanks Tony, that put my mind at ease a little. I would've loved to put an extansion, but my skimmer is under the cabinet, so I have like 3" clearance with the standard MR-2. This is why I added the second injector. I wanted more skimming, and this was the only option available to me. I only have the ozone ported to 1 injector. I knew the de foaming was typical- I just noticed it coincide when I see the most microbubbles in the tank (as if some were "escaping" from the skimmer).
I run the skimmer through the sump, which is ridiculously agitated by the skimmer turnover, overflow lines, and refugium, so I do not think I could aerate it more if I tried.

And believe me, Microbubbles in the tank are worse than hair algae!! (not really, but you get my drift).

Back