Paint

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Ok stupid question:
I want the back of a new tank black. What do I paint it w? Krylon?

B

;)

Krylon is ideal. I used Rustoleum Ultra Cover put on with a brush for the first 2 coats then used a foam roller for a total of 7 coats. Worked well.

I saw some of the MRC sumps used black vinyl and it looked nice. If you know anyone at a sign shop that might be able to hook you up.

I have used spray on Krylon Fusion on tanks not setup yet and a Rustoleum roll on paint for a tank I already had setup. Both worked fine. I like the look of the Krylon better but I think that was because I used a satin finish but used a flat finish on the Rustoleum.

Got to through this out there AA did a study on painting the back of tanks it showed a loss of light spread and par on the painted sides. Seams that un painted glass reflects more light back in to the tank increasing par values.
Sorry can't post links my screen is realy messed up

I would agree with the Krylon Fusion spay paint. Much better finish. At falos, I would expect that it isn't so much the fact it is painted but the color it is painted. Black obsorbs almost all of the color spectrum (which is why it appears black to us). White would reflect almost all of the color spectrum but wouldn't look very nice. I split the diferance and whent with a light blue. To me, it makes it look like the entire ocean is in the background.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
786999=38946-050.jpg
>
786999=38946-050.jpg
class="gc-images" title="050.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

rdnelson99;786999 wrote: I would agree with the Krylon Fusion spay paint. Much better finish. At falos, I would expect that it isn't so much the fact it is painted but the color it is painted. Black obsorbs almost all of the color spectrum (which is why it appears black to us). White would reflect almost all of the color spectrum but wouldn't look very nice. I split the diferance and whent with a light blue. To me, it makes it look like the entire ocean is in the background.

+1 me too

falos;786963 wrote: Got to through this out there AA did a study on painting the back of tanks it showed a loss of light spread and par on the painted sides. Seams that un painted glass reflects more light back in to the tank increasing par values.
Sorry can't post links my screen is realy messed up

That information was presented at MACNA XX in Atlanta by James Fatherree. I actually attended that talk, but it has been a while. I had just joined the ARC at the time. Painted backgrounds greatly reduced PAR vs non painted ones. I'll post a link to the article or presentation if I can find one.

Painting will change the 'index of refraction' of a glass surface.

Without giving a physics lecture here, I can see where the light striking the painted surface might be reduced.

Color and wavelength(s) would be secondary considerations.

ichthyoid;787013 wrote: Painting will change the 'index of refraction' of a glass surface.

Without giving a physics lecture here, I can see where the light striking the painted surface might be reduced.

Color and wavelength(s) would be secondary considerations.

But we have missed your lectures. :yay::yay::yay::yay: hehehehe Nice to see you back now and again. :D

But if your not going to clean the back glass anyways you mine as well paint it.

rdnelson99;787023 wrote: But we have missed your lectures. :yay::yay::yay::yay: hehehehe Nice to see you back now and again. :D

Thanks Rich! It's good to be able to spend a little more time on the boards.

JohnIII;787104 wrote: But if your not going to clean the back glass anyways you mine as well paint it.

good grief.. people please clean that back...

Edit:
falos;787098 wrote: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/5/equipment">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/5/equipment</a>[/QUOTE]

Yea, I never would have thought of this..

One savior I have with this current build is that I'm running an ATI SunPower 6x38w over a 40gb with will be PLENTY of light... I'm even concerned that it may be too much in a tank that shallow.

HOWEVER... thats good to know for other larger builds.....

b

Back