Parasite, Ich, something? Need Advice

gmpolan

Market
Reaction score
So last night i come home to my tank and notice my morish idol has some sort of film over his left, fins frailed and is breathing heavy. I havent added any new fish for a while or changed anything equipment wise. How would all of a sudden would he get just sick? Any thoughts as i know they are very acceptable to getting disease? Only tihng i did was try to feed heavy and keep conditions as normal.

Tank size is 250 and the tank mates are large naso, very small vlimingi tg, chevy tg, yellow tg, purple tg, 8 chromis, 4 lyretails, two clowns.

No aggresion in the tank as they have been together for months and he is def the dominant one. Been eating everything like a pig for years now so im just quite puzzled. Havent been running a UV since they one that was sold to me was broken upon set up. I guess im just going to be sad to lose this guy after having him for two years and all the hard work to keep him.

Guess ill find out when i get home if he made it.

Is it a light whiteish film or is it light grey? Might be a fungus or velvet which can cause fin rot.

Almost looked like a light grey....but how does a healthy fish over night, get velvet?

Geoff, see if either of them have an email address in their member profile. They may see an email before either sees this post.

Unfortunately, when weather turns warm, brooklynella shows up. Almost every year this time. That sounds to me like what you have. Youll likely need to treat ASAP. Come in, and we'll talk.

Worst part is Jeremy, i doubt i can make it up there before you guys close. I also hope he just made it through the night, but what are my options for treatment?

I concur with Jeremy on this one - it's that time of year. A little early, in fact, this year, but it's been warm.

Good luck with it, Geoff... I'd be bummed.

Jenn

Well what are my options if he is ok once i get home, quarentine, then treatment of copper? or what do you guys recommend?

Geoff, formalin bath would be recommended, I believe. Also, you may need some antiobiotics on hand in case of secondary bacterial infection.

I hope he makes it. Your Idol is beautiful and has done so well with you.

A freshwater dip will temporarily help, but as Stacy mentioned, formalin will do a better job, albeit more aggressive. There are some other medications that are good too.

Nope def to late, i am just shocked that a disease can just appear and in less than 24 hours boom, healthy fish dead. Looks like my chevron is missing as well....very sad for me after a two year run

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how frustrating it can be to lose a prized fish.

Geoff, I'm really sorry. :(
I know how much you loved that fish. Keeping my fingers crossed that the chevron shows up alive.

Doubtful on that as well, so time to do a water change and move on with this lovely hobby that we all enjoy so much....hopefully ill have to privilidge to care for another idol one day

Heres the next question for everyone, should the entire system be treated? I know it will affect inverts but there is only two shrimps in it and the volume is around 600. Not sure how i would quarentine each fish or how the brook even got in the system after not adding any new fish for a while now?

Back