Pearly Jawfish pair

jamescook

Market
Reaction score
I've finally got a pair of jawfish cohabitating, so I guess it's time for a new breeders log.:yay:
These guys don't live very long, so I'm really hoping for some success rearing these. This pair was made from repeat trial introductions with different smaller jaws until these 2 didn't kill each other and quickly started sharing a den. They've been in the 20g refugium (dsb/macros) tank attached to the 58g display and 20g frag tank for 2 months. The larger male is quite dominant and the smaller female is rarely seen out of the den. But due to my ghetto engineering the tank hangs over the stand and I can see into the den from underneath.:thumbs: We are going National Geographic on this one!

So the female is out and about and the male is in the den with a mouthfull!

Edit:

Edit: We definitely have eggs. I've seen the male peak his head out and juggle the eggs.

Edit:

Edit: So how do you get your fish to spawn you ask???
Simple. Feed,Feed,Feed!
http://youtu.be/Mx2ye9Ooqew

Edit: what is up with this Edit????
I can't reply or go advanced to add pics
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
710387=33762-malejaw.jpg
>
710387=33762-malejaw.jpg
class="gc-images" title="malejaw.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Interesting! Is it really that hard to get them paired? I have 4, all of which share two different dens. Maybe I have two swinger couples:)

It definitely was hard for me. They don't change sex like clowns and are extremely territorial. I've tried several times over the years and this is my first pair.

I will get some better pix, but Dad isn't ready to show us the eggs yet.
710407=33763-malehead.jpg
>
710407=33763-malehead.jpg
class="gc-images" title="malehead.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Is there an easy way to sex them? As far as I'm concerned all mine look identical.

None that I know of. In this pair the female is smaller and the male is bolder. He tears at the plants and patrols the den. He is now holding eggs as males tend to do.

Thats awesome James :thumbs:

By chance do you have any frags for sale ? Looking for a mix of all kinds from softies to SPS

the male juggles the eggs to aerate them:D
710502=33765-jaweggs.jpg
>
710502=33765-jaweggs.jpg
class="gc-images" title="jaweggs.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

jamescook;710495 wrote: I have about 90 corals i could frag for you

If I do come over to athens for 2 b&w clowns, I hope I can get some of these frags too! any acans or zoas

like this?
710504=33766-acan.jpg
>
710504=33766-acan.jpg
class="gc-images" title="acan.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Ya that's cool, I just want a type of lps to fill my "LPS" section of my biocube. I already have a frogspawn and a tricolor candy cane.

jamescook;710387 wrote: I've finally got a pair of jawfish cohabitating, so I guess it's time for a new breeders log.:yay:
These guys don't live very long, so I'm really hoping for some success rearing these. This pair was made from repeat trial introductions with different smaller jaws until these 2 didn't kill each other and quickly started sharing a den. They've been in the 20g refugium (dsb/macros) tank attached to the 58g display and 20g frag tank for 2 months. The larger male is quite dominant and the smaller female is rarely seen out of the den. But due to my ghetto engineering the tank hangs over the stand and I can see into the den from underneath.:thumbs: We are going National Geographic on this one!

So the female is out and about and the male is in the den with a mouthfull!

Edit:

Edit: We definitely have eggs. I've seen the male peak his head out and juggle the eggs.

Edit:

Edit: So how do you get your fish to spawn you ask???
Simple. Feed,Feed,Feed!
http://youtu.be/Mx2ye9Ooqew">http://youtu.be/Mx2ye9Ooqew</a>

Edit: what is up with this Edit????
I can't reply or go advanced to add pics[/QUOTE]

How long do they live?

Awesome!!!

I had one for almost 2 years, until I moved it to my girlfriends nanocube and he went carpet surfing before i was able to make a top for it.

no gsp

The male is eating and moving sand today. I don't see eggs in the den, so I bet this time is over.

Back