Please recommend LED lighting

gort

Market
Reaction score
I have mostly sps, monti's , zoas, general stuff

Current LED lights are what I think were called member LED's or something like that. China made, and were discussed a lot several years ago here. Bought them new from a member.

LED are burning out, I think its time to get something better.

Any thoughts? I don't want to buy something like Radions too expensive for me.

Can't go wrong with Reefbreeders LEDs, a lot of people say they are the best budget LED lights. Also been seeing a lot of people running Ocean Revive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO and take it how you will but yea radions are nice, but you could buy reef breeders value fixtures and still grow corals just as good as ecotecs. The best looking sps tank I've ever seen that was led lit was black box leds and reef breeders.

Never had a RB fixture but the oceanrevive is serving me pretty well right now

I now run cheap $75 eBay boxes and love them. I don't need ramping so no need for the built in controllers.

At $75 each they are disposable if something fails imo too ;)

SnowManSnow;1054371 wrote: Never had a RB fixture but the oceanrevive is serving me pretty well right now

Pretty close to the same minus the controls. If I remember correctly they both use bridgelux leds

reefbreeders and black box leds are probably the best and most proven leds.
there is a well known supplier of LE corals who is slowly changing over to reefbreeders from radions.

im personally looking at swapping out my dsuny's (similar as ocean revives) with the black box but with wifi.

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://m.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Fish-Tank-Reef-Coral-/161749501856?nav=SEARCH<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

havent bitten the bullet yet as my leds havent died. but the dimmability and timer do add appeal.

Hey Russ.... Not to challenge you on this, but.... show me some proof re: "Most proven LEDs".
Please back up your claim with verifiable sources.

elFloyd;1054626 wrote: Hey Russ.... Not to challenge you on this, but.... show me some proof re: "Most proven LEDs".
Please back up your claim with verifiable sources.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/603511806434292/">https://www.facebook.com/groups/603511806434292/</a>

try to join that group.... plenty of proof to make anyone get them. it is the reason i am now.

The reefbreeder website doesnt give off any coverage recommendations. would 1 60-W be enough over a 72" tank?

fishtank;1054637 wrote: The reefbreeder website doesnt give off any coverage recommendations. would 1 60-W be enough over a 72" tank?

i highly doubt it just looking at the wattage alone.

i have 160 count - 3w bridgelux over my 84" tank. still use t5 supplemental. they do under power them at 2.2w to conserve the lifespan.

id shoot for 400 watts. (however my math could be off)

also depth could play a part. (how deep is the tank?). if it is over 24' then 400 would be a good target. if it is a shallow tank, you could do with less due to less penetration reqs

Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread to badly. Standard 6' 125g

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fishtank;1054668 wrote: Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread to badly. Standard 6' 125g

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

a couple photon 32s with the optics ripped out would be plenty imho.

im sure others can chime in.

I am not bustin anyone berries here..... It would be an EXTREMELY far stretch to say the Reefbreeders and Chinese BB are the MOST proven!!!! But I mean hey, Jack. If it's on Facebook or the Internet, it must be a true statement.....

Best growth I got with BB's was algae... Just sayin... 0 extra algae growth with premium LEDs, but the BB caused me to pull out my hair with algae growth...

It still rings true, you get what you pay for... There is a reason that Radions are the price they are...

nickg;1054729 wrote: I am not bustin anyone berries here..... It would be an EXTREMELY far stretch to say the Reefbreeders and Chinese BB are the MOST proven!!!! But I mean hey, Jack. If it's on Facebook or the Internet, it must be a true statement.....

Best growth I got with BB's was algae... Just sayin... 0 extra algae growth with premium LEDs, but the BB caused me to pull out my hair with algae growth...

It still rings true, you get what you pay for... There is a reason that Radions are the price they are...

so you are saying the light and spectrum is why you have algae?

there is some truth to this but for different reasons than i think you realize.
eg: i can point a red spectrum light at a clean glass of water... algae wont grow.

i can also post photos of people running them without algae issues. this isnt to refute your claims, but algae need more than photons to exist.

also... far more black boxes have been sold than radions. and dont get me started on reef breeders phasing out gen 3 radions by some of your more coveted LE vendors.

Back