Please recommend LED lighting

Yes I do believe it was the largest contributor. I think the difference in their color spectrum and or lens' and or strength. I actually put black tape over the Reds and greens until I decided what I would purchase. It was better. Then threw a Radion over it, better growth on corals, no additional algae growth... Finally kicked the algae, by the way.

nickg;1054736 wrote: Yes I do believe it was the largest contributor. I think the difference in their color spectrum and or lens' and or strength. I actually put black tape over the Reds and greens until I decided what I would purchase. It was better. Then threw a Radion over it, better growth on corals, no additional algae growth... Finally kicked the algae, by the way.

well... this is how misnomers start.
photosynthesis requires more than a photon my friend.

the only thing that kicked the algae was that you went more toward the 420-460nm spectrum. nothing to do with the light. (super bold statement!)

And this coming from the guy that said a $100 LED is more proven than all the REAL industry leaders... Radions, AI, Geissman, Orphek, Maxspec, Kessil, and the list will go on with more, that are better than the BB and Reef Breeders.... And how long hav you been reefing. Trust me I know what causes algae. And those cheap *** LEDs definitely help!!

I will be removing myself from this topic! I am getting worked up over something that there is no need in... Some are junk and some are not... All I'll say...

nickg;1054765 wrote: And this coming from the guy that said a $100 LED is more proven than all the REAL industry leaders... Radions, AI, Geissman, Orphek, Maxspec, Kessil, and the list will go on with more, that are better than the BB and Reef Breeders.... And how long hav you been reefing. Trust me I know what causes algae. And those cheap *** LEDs definitely help!!

lol
those cheap $$$ photons. gotta get those real industry leader photons. they are the real deal and keep all the symbiodynium to the yard.

sorry you are angry. but id love to see the difference between a $$$ photon vs a cheap one. the black boxes are generally epsilons. bridgelux is an alternative to cree and they are in reef breeders. these are diodes that emit light. maybe the cheapness is felt by the algae?(dollar tree light is nom nom?) or perhaps you need to justify your purchase?

(im being a little fecitious here)

just dont spread misinformation without facts please.

or get angry about it.

junk are the marineland pros. they possibly could keep a zoa alive at the top of my tank. this is marineland here. yet not enough par to make a cyano pop out if i dosed the tank with an entire bottle of acro power.

And your "proof" to BB LEDs Bing the best? I want to see that comparison. Just sayin....

nickg;1054790 wrote: And your "proof" to BB LEDs Bing the best? I want to see that comparison. Just sayin....

i have a sneaking suspicion you dont want proof. you just want to be right.

as such. you will be.

good night.

proof is already in a post in this thread i provided barring you want to see.

I know I was a fairly early adopter of LED's for an Acro dominant tank in 2010. I ended up very disappointed and landed on a pure LED/MH hybrid. I run 6 on 6 off cycles. One lighting cycle is 800w of pure MH. The other lighting cycle is a mix of first gen AI's and Kessils. I have enough LED's wattage to run it 100% but I simply love the results MH brings.

All that being said, I'm about to be lighting a second tank that's 8'x4'x30". Reefbreeders is on my short list of choices to light it. There are some incredible acro tanks using them for a few years. While Radions have their market, lighting a 600g+ display isn't it. Anyone who sat through Sanjay's presentation at MACNA last year knows that. I'm never one to skimp on quality. It's all about results for me. Right now, RB's are getting some great results. I look forward to hearing experiences from others with their LED's. Both successes and failures. We can all learn hearing about them.

I broke up with FaceBook years ago and can't follow the link. I am very interested in reading what was included there. Anyone want to copy and paste it?

From my research, more expensive units are built with more quality parts, research to back up the design, and better bells and whistles with regard to technology.

With regard to LEDs, specifically, more expensive units typically use "better bins". I believe this means that the diode emits light closer to what has been spec'd for the LED design. In other words, a 6500K diode produces 6500K light, not 6200K. The same applies to output measurements such as PAR. The better BINs are more consistent and pricier.

With regards to technology, the more expensive units typically have better dimming resolution and control (manual vs. cloud based, automated, etc.). Usually the more expensive units have more innovative cooling solutions (not necessarily better) that allow a "cooler" and often slimmer fixture profile.

With the trend moving more towards a full spectrum fixture, I am not sure that LEDs of a specific color temp are as important as once thought, and the variability in output (par, etc) can be resolved through dimming capabilities. I have yet to meet one person who runs an LED fixture at 100%. If PAR isn't enough, turn it up!

At the end of the day, I would expect a cheaper fixture to have less controllability, minimal warranty, and not be accompanied with excellent customer service. I do hear good things about RB fixtures, but they are more expensive when compared to the cheap eBay fixtures.

The argument about there being more of the cheaper units being used doesn't really seem valid. You can't compare items, in terms of the number sold, when they are clearly in different pricing tiers. There are many examples where a cheaper version out sells a superior product.

I have also dabbled into hydroponics where I learned that a blue spectrum promotes vegetative growth while a red spectrum promotes flowering. With that said, algae/plants won't grow without a food source.

I think reefing is a lot like fishing where the saying is to use what gives you the most confidence. Ultimately, the tool you are most proficient with will likely give you the most success. Similarly, there usually isn't one best answer, but rather a few good options.

JBDreefs;1054902 wrote: I broke up with FaceBook years ago and can't follow the link. I am very interested in reading what was included there. Anyone want to copy and paste it?

From my research, more expensive units are built with more quality parts, research to back up the design, and better bells and whistles with regard to technology.

With regard to LEDs, specifically, more expensive units typically use "better bins". I believe this means that the diode emits light closer to what has been spec'd for the LED design. In other words, a 6500K diode produces 6500K light, not 6200K. The same applies to output measurements such as PAR. The better BINs are more consistent and pricier.

With regards to technology, the more expensive units typically have better dimming resolution and control (manual vs. cloud based, automated, etc.). Usually the more expensive units have more innovative cooling solutions (not necessarily better) that allow a "cooler" and often slimmer fixture profile.

With the trend moving more towards a full spectrum fixture, I am not sure that LEDs of a specific color temp are as important as once thought, and the variability in output (par, etc) can be resolved through dimming capabilities. I have yet to meet one person who runs an LED fixture at 100%. If PAR isn't enough, turn it up!

At the end of the day, I would expect a cheaper fixture to have less controllability, minimal warranty, and not be accompanied with excellent customer service. I do hear good things about RB fixtures, but they are more expensive when compared to the cheap eBay fixtures.

The argument about there being more of the cheaper units being used doesn't really seem valid. You can't compare items, in terms of the number sold, when they are clearly in different pricing tiers. There are many examples where a cheaper version out sells a superior product.

I have also dabbled into hydroponics where I learned that a blue spectrum promotes vegetative growth while a red spectrum promotes flowering. With that said, algae/plants won't grow without a food source.

I think reefing is a lot like fishing where the saying is to use what gives you the most confidence. Ultimately, the tool you are most proficient with will likely give you the most success. Similarly, there usually isn't one best answer, but rather a few good options.

man i was trying to be nice and informative but this crap makes me not even want to post in local forums anymore.

here. have a reefbreeders black box. because you spend more money... algae will run away.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reef-breeders-value-led-fixtures/">https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reef-breeders-value-led-fixtures/</a>

and i wont even tell you the photon series for half the price. but i digress.

still stands.... most proven.

stupid reefbreeders. how dare they sale algae machines!

just gives me a chuckle.

Russ-IV;1054907 wrote: man i was trying to be nice and informative but this crap makes me not even want to post in local forums anymore.

here. have a reefbreeders black box. because you spend more money... algae will run away.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reef-breeders-value-led-fixtures/">https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reef-breeders-value-led-fixtures/</a>

and i wont even tell you the photon series for half the price. but i digress.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't really trying to argue but explain that there is more to LED fixtures than just the light emitted from them and explain why pricier fixtures are pricier.

I actually thought my post fell somewhere between your arguments and Nicks... Leaning your way.

Recently, a thread was made pointing out the lack of good discussions in our local forum. If it weren't for people having a pi$$ing match, maybe we would have more. But I digress and will return my attention to something else.

JBDreefs;1054908 wrote: Wasn't really trying to argue but explain that there is more to LED fixtures than just the light emitted from them and explain why pricier fixtures are pricier.

I actually thought my post fell somewhere between your arguments and Nicks... Leaning your way.

Recently, a thread was made pointing out the lack of good discussions in our local forum. If it weren't for people having a pi$$ing match, maybe we would have more. But I digress and will return my attention to something else.

my point is no one will say reef breeders sucks. people are changing them out all the time from higher $$$ leds. the playing field will look a bit more normal in coming years.

but...
dig up reef breeder's led manufacturing. they do none. all they did was slap a sticker on chinese work.

my knee slapping is due to the fact that people advocating reef breeders have no idea who is making their products.

but... by all means! it wards algae away because of the sticker endorsing "said" product.

They also slap on a very good 2 year US based warranty.

However, I do agree that refusing to acknowledge the fact that almost all LED units are made in China is a little silly. I missed this point in all the rambling.

i didnt buy reefbreeders because i thought they had superior technology to chinese black boxes.i bought them to have a US backed customer support.if anything goes wrong with it,i deal with Logan personally.not someone who doesnt speak english.he will fix it immediately,not the weeks(or months) long wait with other companies.let something go wrong with one of the black boxes off ebay and see what kind of service you get.

JBDreefs;1054911 wrote: They also slap on a very good 2 year US based warranty.

However, I do agree that refusing to acknowledge the fact that almost all LED units are made in China is a little silly. I missed this point in all the rambling.

you are better off buying 2 of the chinese brands and having a backup for whatever reason for EACH of the reefbreeder purchases. they are all 2x the chinese price.

reef breeders wins out when their chinese product works as intended.

reeferman;1054912 wrote: i didnt buy reefbreeders because i thought they had superior technology to chinese black boxes.i bought them to have a US backed customer support.if anything goes wrong with it,i deal with Logan personally.not someone who doesnt speak english.he will fix it immediately,not the weeks(or months) long wait with other companies.let something go wrong with one of the black boxes off ebay and see what kind of service you get.

that is fine. lets just not consider this a product made in the usa. or that the product is any different than an el cheapo chinese led. you are only paying for not dealing with china. and it is the same cost as buying a 2nd.

tbh. i think ive said enough. we all spend our $$$ the way we want. i just look at the bottom line and the odds. i apologize for my dissenting opinion.

I like the "pissing match" that so often happens on these boards. Helps make education a little more entertaining. So, please, be passionate, state your position, and sometimes even get a little fired up. We aren't in this hobby and on a online forum discussing it because we have a lack of passion for it. It's ok to let it boil over.
On that note, I'm starting a new thread about my upcoming Tang themed Pico tank.

From a person who's owned Reef Breeders fixtures and now Radions. I'd like to say that Reef Breeders for the price point are decent fixtures and will provide a hobbyist with an alternative to more expensive led fixtures. Yes there assembled in China but so is most of the stuff we use on a day to day basis, IPhones, IPads etc.....When I made the decision to purchase my Reef Breeders it was solely on a budget stand point and more importantly the fact that I could call a support staff here in the America's and get support. I contacted Reef Breeders on several occasion's before and after my purchases and they were extremely pleasant to work with. In fact at one time I even spoke to the owner who was very honest and helpful.

Reef Breeders at times runs sales and post the discount coupons on there Facebook page. I found this out during one of the calls I made to there support staff before I purchased the fixtures. I ended up saving around $40 a fixture. I believe the discount varied on the size of the fixture.

Back