Plumbing question

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Be gentle, this is our first time.
Trying to figure this out. Nothing is cemented.
For return lines...we have pvc coming up from pump to a T which will bring it through the horizontal pipe to the other overflow inlet. Is this the proper basic design?
Secondly, we want to add a manifold. Was thinking of T-ing it off horizontal pipe somehow. Yes? No? Ideas please. We were going to attach UV sterilizer to one port of manifold, yes?

Attachments

• 15827285133868045295839310543206.jpg
    15827285133868045295839310543206.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 15827285538041634327288247811244.jpg
    15827285538041634327288247811244.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 15827285700733897470502059198040.jpg
    15827285700733897470502059198040.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
i don't think this is as efficient as it could've been.

you want the return pump to feed the manifold as well as returning the water to the tank. what you have right now is a T that returns some portion of the filtered water to the tank as well as recirculating to the sump. the 2nd drain on the sump could be used as emergency drain or as a split drain from the main drain of the tank.

you want the return pump to feed the manifold as well as returning the water to the tank. what you have right now is a T that returns some portion of the filtered water to the tank as well as recirculating to the sump. the 2nd drain on the sump could be used as emergency drain or as a split drain from the main drain of the tank.
Ok, this is a modified Herbie. Main drain on left directly into sump, emergency drain comes from right overflow into sump. I’m concerned with the return lines...not sure how they should be plumbed

I would add gate valves to each side so you can control flow. If you dont the shortest run will probably have less turns in it causing less restrictions thus increasing flow to one side. And dont forget the unions
Where exactly should the gate valves be placed?

Be gentle, this is our first time.
Trying to figure this out. Nothing is cemented.
For return lines...we have pvc coming up from pump to a T which will bring it through the horizontal pipe to the other overflow inlet. Is this the proper basic design?
Secondly, we want to add a manifold. Was thinking of T-ing it off horizontal pipe somehow. Yes? No? Ideas please. We were going to attach UV sterilizer to one port of manifold, yes?
Check the flow rate of the UV that you are considering and see if it is even possible to get the correct flow rate with the return pump. I had to add an additional pump just for the UV in my tank. You have 2 different rates. One is for algae and 1 is for fish health. You need to decide between the 2. Fish health will be a slower flow rate and the higher for the algae.

Mine is kinda complicated. I have 1 pump running my UV and my algae Scrubber. I like to hard plumb as you can see lol I need to clean it up a bit.

Attachments

• 20200211_185554.jpg
    20200211_185554.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 20200211_185607.jpg
    20200211_185607.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
I would put the tee for the manifold before the tee for the return lines, that way both sides will be affected equally when the manifold is in use. A uv should have a pump of its own that is not related to return flow, it works best that way.

please ignore this comment. i was viewing things on my phone and i thought the tee goes into one of the two drains in the sump.

Bravo for the correct use of the Tee's! Flow through, not into.
I agree with Bobby on the placement though. The tee for the manifold should be before the split for the returns.

Generally a UV requires a lot more flow compared to other reactors on a manifold. That is why most people run it on a separate pump, because it can greatly reduce the amount returned to the tank. The way around that is getting a bigger main pump, which is doable but needs to have more adjustment to get the flow right everywhere. That is compounded when a reactor is turned on, off or adjusted. Also with another small pump for the UV, it can be serviced easier without affecting everything else. Say it's on a manifold, you turn the valve closed to service it. But then you notice your reactor is going nuts! How do you have that not happen? Shut the whole thing down before servicing...

Also you do not need to have the UV connected now to get things up and running.

Where exactly should the gate valves be placed?

Great question!

While the valve placement may have more to do with access & convenience, it brings up a great point.

Before you finalize your design (ie-glue it together) be sure to account for the water volume in the plumbing, so you don't overflow the sump if/when power shuts off.

I hope this is clear
It does, thanks. So it looks like your run it off your return pump. I was thinking about setting my manifold on the main drain before it empties out into the sump. Is there a reason why this would not be preferred?

I would put unions where you can. It makes it easy to take apart if you ever have any issues with your plumbing. But it doesnt look like you have much room. So if possible a union where you have it questioned is good. Also if you can put one between the manifold and left return Ts, and maybe a union on the left return. Also just thinking maybe a ball valve on the left return before the union so that if you ever have an issue with one of your returns you can still run one of them while working on the other. These are just suggestions and just thinking about worse case scenarios if you ever have to work on it.

Back