Plumbing question

rykwong

Supporting
Reaction score
One of my return barb fittings seem loose when sliding in place compared to my other one. Is this a problem/too loose or not an issue once the pvc glue is in place? Thanks.

If it's a glue joint I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, as long as it wasn't too loose. The tolerances aren't too tight but it should certainly friction fit well enough for it to stay in place. When you put it on, does it fall right off if you hold it upside down? That would certainly concern me. Most of the barb fittings I use either thread on OR friction fit to vinyl with a hose clamp. As long as the end isn't too loose, I'd use it.

Of course I would defer to @Adam on all things PVC glue related. He's the master.

I think you pretty much nailed it Justin. If it stays together when you dry fit the 2 pieces together there's enough contact area for the glue to complete the weld for our purposes. Don't know if it'd hold 100psi, but we never see much more than 15-20psi and that's when pumping up floors in height.

Unless they're a plumber there's probably only one other person than me in the club that's glued more PVC in the last few years and that @Dmitri.

Thanks for the response.

The loose one wiggles and easily falls off. I was trying to post a video.

Sounds like it’s no good.

Attachments

• D8C8A37E-EB58-4CD6-A29D-145968086C90.png
    D8C8A37E-EB58-4CD6-A29D-145968086C90.png
    780.3 KB · Views: 30
Those ABS bulkhead fittings sometimes are off in size. BRS ones generally are tighter in tolerances.

I don't know that I would go that route anyway. If you ever need to get that bulkhead off, you've got to cut it out.

That doesn't look to me like a fitting that's meant to be glued into another piece. (Male fitting) from the little bit I can see in the picture it looks like it's meant to have a pipe glued into it and not the other way around. I wouldn't recommend gluing it in place.

Anyone have any or know where I can pick up two slip on 3/4” barb fittings?

Nemo does not have them. Might have to order online instead

I picked up a few barbs from Optimum here in Kennesaw last week and they had more in stock.

you could piece it together with parts from Home Depot. They have threaded base 3/4” barbs in the irrigation section. You just need a threaded 3/4” plug then the threaded barb piece and some thread glue

Just go to home depot and be done.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Tape. Never glue threads. They are threads for a reason. If you want to glue it, go with a slip fitting.

Not permanent glue but plumbers paste is what you should be using.
8532C299-47FF-4D25-80C2-2210BD39DF57.jpeg

mor goes on like a paste and will hold solid. I’ve never had a leaks from a threaded pvc using this

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Teflon paste which is great to use but is not glue. Teflon tape works great as well, you just need to be sure to wrap the threads in the same direction that the piece threads on.

Most of the time I do not like Teflon tape for PVC or ABS/plastic fittings. While I do use it occasionally I make sure not to use a lot of tape or over tighten the fitting.
If you use too much tape and tighten the fitting to much you will very likely crack the female side of the joint. And it may not crack right away but days to weeks or even months later.

I usually use RectorSeal Tru Blu in this type application because it's vibration resistant. Either it or the Oatey Great White are both NSF rated, won't leak and allow you to disassemble.

Yes rector seal is an option. Use it all the time at work and othe applications

Back