plumbing???????????????????????????????????

zanski

Market
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 1.25" return bulkhead. (trying to hard plumb my drain) I went to home depot and got a 1.25" female coupling (sp?) and it wont screw on. It gets maybe 3 threads in and its too tight to get further. Is there special fittings for bulkheads??

I just did my plumbing today. Does the bulkhead have threads on the inside of the tube. If so, you should get a 1.25" male adapter and then use 1.25" schedule 40 pipe with primer and glue. If it doesn't have threads on the inside of the bulkhead tube, just use pipe, primer and glue. Also, don't forget to use teflon tape on the threads, and use it liberally.

threads on the outside. And its a 1.25 female or so the box said. "Natty" went to home depot with me he says his goes on over half way before it gets too tight. I guess they had the wrong coupling in the wrong box. Ill try again tomorrow...

Bleedingthought;153110 wrote: Yeah, make sure that the coupling is the right one. Never trust the sizes just because of what it says in the box!

Well the pipe fits in the other end perfect. So maybe its a male fitting?! I dont know ill take a spare bulkhead to the depot tomorrow to ensure fit. BTW Home Depot has HORRIBLE service lol. It seems like it gets worse. We walked around the lighting section looking for a clip light for Natty's fuge and there was no one in site for 20 minutes... Wish there was a lowes around Barrett Parkway...:lol2:

Worth the trip to Woodstock. Lowes is so much cleaner and organized. Now customer service is hard to find anywhere. I have to shop at HD also since there is no Lowes up my way either,atleast not yet.

Stealing your thread really quick Zanski cuz you wont answer your phone.... Does the rubber washer go Inside the tank or outside the tank? mine was outside the tank but it seems to make more sense to have it inside. Just trying to ensure no more leaks!! :boo:

You're not supposed to use the outside threads...they're for the nut only and probably a non-standard thread anyway.

washer goes inside the tank.

Skriz;153262 wrote: You're not supposed to use the outside threads...they're for the nut only and probably a non-standard thread anyway.

washer goes inside the tank.
Thanks Skriz!!! Now I can put my tank back together!! I thought it was kinda funny having it on the outside.

If you still need a clip light they are with the drop cords... hope that helps.

JJ

Rockdog;153342 wrote: If you still need a clip light they are with the drop cords... hope that helps.

JJ

Yeah we found one finally. Thanks!

And yes I was trying to screw it on the outside threads of the bulkhead. If you not supposed to then how do you hard plumb a tank??

Um ya use the inside of the bulkhead. If it's smooth you just glue plumbing to it. If the inside is threaded use a male adapter. Don't use the outside. It's for the nut only.

Skriz;153262 wrote: You're not supposed to use the outside threads...they're for the nut only and probably a non-standard thread anyway.
Older 1 1/4" bulkheads will take a 1 1/4" FPT connection on the outside, but newer ones, for some unknown and incredibly stupid reason, won't. You can buy bulkheads with standard FPT OD measurements, but not from aquarium stores, as far as I have seen. The older ones had threads all the way out to the end, too, whereas the newer bulkheads have a final "lip" where there's no threading.

It's too bad, too, because it's a perfect mate for connections that maintain the initial ID of the bulkhead through the plumbing which will maximize your potential water flow.

well if the ID of the bulkhead is 1.25, and the pvc ID is 1.25 that means it wont slide up in the bulkhead because the pipe and bulkhead should match up perfect right? I havent tried to slide the pvc in the bulkhead but im sure they will just match up perfect with each other. The bulkheads came with the aquarium so I assume that they are all-glass. So then what do I do??

Pvc will fit. Its basically is slip connection. If you were to buy a 1.25 fitting, it would fit a 1.25 pipe. Its not the measurement of the fitting, its the measurement of the pipe.

When you do glue it in place make sure you leave enough room to cut it off and glue something else on. 4-5 inches as T suggested is good.

If the outer female threads are near 1 1/4", you probably have a 1" bulkhead which refers to the inner diameter, not outer. That's the standard size used in All-Glass overflows for the drain pipe.

Back