Poor LFS internet activity... why is that?

cameron

Market
Reaction score
I am suprised with the lack of interaction from vendors on this forum. You would think more of them would actively and frequently participate since we are or could be one of their long term customers. I would certainly frequent a vendor more if they answered my questions in a neutral ground like this. I tend to feel awkward at stores asking for help because I figure they are going to try to oversell me product or I am going to get someone who knows less about it than I do.

Also short of AquaBuys.com, why do so many of our local vendors have horrible or no websites? I know they probably can't or just don't want to compete with places like DrsFosterSmith for online orders and such, but it isn't that hard to setup an online presence. I know I wouldn't mind browsing the latest stock and comparison shop from the comfort of my home. While I like a bargain, I would pay a bit more if I could pick it up locally and I would rather not have to call every store to find a good deal. At the very least, it would be nice to see if they are running specials on merchandise.

Comments, thoughts?

Check Bobby's site, Cap Bay! He has been really working hard on his web presence!!!

a>

Shipping has been done frequently for livestock for years now though. Yes, weather is still a concern but I'm sure tons of money can be made in this hobby too. But yeah, I do agree that better websites on the LFS' part would be great. Before I joined this club, I couldn't even find most of the stores in the ATL area in the search engines.

boxermark wrote: As a computer professional you should know about the expense of setting up and maintaining a web presence.
Actually I do and it isn't much. If you just go with a good basic web page template which can purchase for less than $50 bucks (or slightly more for a fancier template) and an inexpensive hosting company such as 1and1.com you can get out for about 10 bucks a month hosting. If nothing else to get your name, address and monthly specials out to people. If you want a fancier website, use agora cart (free) and you can pay people to setup it up for you with usually ranges between 200 and 500 dollars.

If you wanted to go with a full online integrated system, yes that would be more (look at Yahoo with has a nice package for $99 a month and includes an integration feature that is nice). That said, I was just noting that few have any online presence.

boxermark wrote: Retail doesn't have huge profit margins to begin with. Stores with a huge volume of sales can bear the expense.
True, but at the very least coming here is free. I see few participating in the forums here and that seems like an audience prescreened to your market. I am more likely to shop with a guy who helps me out or simply shoots the crap with me.

boxermark wrote: It would be intersting to find out the percentage of LFS customers that use the net for shopping vs those who only visit a store.
Again I am not talking about shopping cart here (specifically anyway). Putting basic information, specials and pricing I think would be sufficient. They could get fancier for a little more money if they wanted. I just wouldn't mind looking in on a shops price on salt for example or maybe some equipment they have on sale that might bring me into their store.

Check Bobby's site, Cap Bay!
His site is a bit too much for me, but at least it has hours, directions, etc. I noticed when you click on the XXXX thing at the bottom you go into a templated site that looks nice.

Anyone have any thoughts why they don't spend more time in here? Maybe running these shops just takes a lot of time.

Ask Jenn from Imagine Ocean I'm sure she can give you a lot of good reasons why vendors don't get overly involved.

Most of the folks that visit here frequently are deal shoppers, know what they want, and know what the internet price is. I can assure you that the sponsors linger here often, and if someone was to call a sponsor out they would post a response quickly.

Rob

Cappuccinobaylive.com dont order anything just yet ...
Will finish the site next week.....or two.
Its a mess right now with testing new ideas....

It's simple- most LFS owners simply don't see the internet as a valuable tool. It's obvious to you or me, but many brick-and-mortar store owners will continue to complain about the internet hurting their sales while those who adapt to a changing market and economy will prosper.

The shifting of how companies reach their consumers has happened time after time in the past and will again in the future. They have the option to adapt or not.

Kalkbreath wrote: Cappuccinobaylive.com dont order anything just yet ...
Where's the "Spawn Cam" and "Mated Pairs" sections? :eek: :jumpy: :jumpy:

mojo wrote: It's simple- most LFS owners simply don't see the internet as a valuable tool. It's obvious to you or me, but many brick-and-mortar store owners will continue to complain about the internet hurting their sales while those who adapt to a changing market and economy will prosper.

The shifting of how companies reach their consumers has happened time after time in the past and will again in the future. They have the option to adapt or not.

Thinking about what you said, I would have to agree. It is just a shame that ATL has so many great stores that don't seem to be interested in the community. When I was shopping for my Christmas tank, I drove all over the place to the LFSes and felt like I was used car shopping. It was not a pleasant experience and I doubt I will ever do it again.

Well, Christmas time is hectic for everyone... but I don't know... a lot of stores here try to take on web development in addition to running a store; which is a lot to take on. Having web presence is good, but building a great site is completely different from just throwing something on the web.

Also, building a website vs. marketing a website are two different beasts. To fully integrate a successful marketing campaign involving your URL takes work; both on keeping the content on the site fresh and making sure your URL is mentioned during your sales and promotions.

Most mom and pop shops aren't great at selling online, but many choose to tackle it solo anyway. Like I said earlier, I had a REALLY hard time finding any info on the LFS in the area until I found the club, which lists all the stores online... but even then, it took some effort.

Straegen wrote: I am suprised with the lack of interaction from vendors on this forum. You would think more of them would actively and frequently participate since we are or could be one of their long term customers. I would certainly frequent a vendor more if they answered my questions in a neutral ground like this. I tend to feel awkward at stores asking for help because I figure they are going to try to oversell me product or I am going to get someone who knows less about it than I do.

Also short of AquaBuys.com, why do so many of our local vendors have horrible or no websites? I know they probably can't or just don't want to compete with places like DrsFosterSmith for online orders and such, but it isn't that hard to setup an online presence. I know I wouldn't mind browsing the latest stock and comparison shop from the comfort of my home. While I like a bargain, I would pay a bit more if I could pick it up locally and I would rather not have to call every store to find a good deal. At the very least, it would be nice to see if they are running specials on merchandise.

Comments, thoughts?

Hiya Im a new sponser here and Ive posted a lot in the past few days that Ive been here. I try to interract as much as I can but I am only one man. I run my store, built my own site (thats why its not that good:tongue2: ). Its work m-f sometimes 16 hours a day and then I play on the forums for fun on slow days. I still have a family and a six year old daughter on top of that I have my own pets and a house to take care of too. I come on here becauseI actually enjoy what I do for a living. Im converting from an aquarium maintenance company into an internet livestock sales here to metro atlanta. You can pick it up too! I'd be glad to talk with you.

On another note Bobby's site is flashy and really high tech and you cant beat his frags....Im happy with my little putter of a site and Im not going to even try to compete with his frags.

FishyBusiness wrote: On another note Bobby's site is flashy and really high tech and you cant beat his frags....Im happy with my little putter of a site and Im not going to even try to compete with his frags.

I like the simpler site myself. Loads faster and is easier to navigate, but I think my thermostat is too complicated.

Kalkbreath wrote: Cappuccinobaylive.com

heh... wow. Perhaps a little excessive and busy for a shopping website but the green haired chick is HOTT!

tsciarini wrote: heh... wow. Perhaps a little excessive and busy for a shopping website but the green haired chick is HOTT!

my site doesnt have a hott green haired chick :mad2:

Tanya, My spokes person ... asked me to inform you that she is a mermaid, not a "chick".
Yes, the website is a bit long on the load, but we feel online customers will like being able to see the live stock from a fresh new video perspective. The web is changing. Its getting closer to real TV then ever. Heck Television was black and white with three stations when it began... DSL speeds will double in the next few years. For customers who already have fat connections we feel they will enjoy ordering from something other then a ten year old representative photo like many of the current Online venders rely on to sell live stock like fish and live rock . With cappuccino bay's new wysiwyg fish videos, live webcams to buy your live rock, live video chat customer service feeds and such, The hobby's online face is going to look a whole lot different after Im done wtih it.....

You need to look at it from the perspective of distant hobbyists who are far away from a good Brick and mortar LFS. Its a scary thing ordering livestock off the web. Were hoping the rich meadia experience will help bridge the gap and offer a more local like experience for out of state newbies.

I would consider myself an early adoptor of all things web. As far as online shopping is concerned though, three things matter to me: convenience, price and reputation.

I can't speak for everyone's shopping habits but I am not loyal to any particular online stores if what I need is readily available. Usually what I end up doing is choosing based on price. However, if something is hard to find such as certain lighting hardware or exotic breeds, I would def. shop from the store that makes the process easy (including it being easy to find on the web to begin with). I think what most stores need to realize is that a big percentage of online shopping (especially the purchases done while at work) are often impulse buys. Yes, people do research for months but once they are in the price comparison funnel, the decision to buy happens pretty quickly. If you make the process short and simple, people will buy from you without the chance to debate the decision; if you make it too complicated, they may just go elsewhere that makes the process easier.

A lot of online stores have fancy features such as live chat, java calculators, movies, etc... but honestly I do not use those features unless I have issues post purchase and need to speak to customer service or something.

I don't know... I feel like shops would benefit from polling all the early adoptors on the web especially since we have so many geeks here. Also, it would be useful to see what the major web based stores are doing and see what they have in common.

Just my 2 cents.

FishyBusiness wrote: I run my store, built my own site (thats why its not that good:tongue2: ).

Well, put a link at the bottom of your messages so we can see...:up:

cheers,

johnny

Back