Question about LED Optics

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So I have 3 of the chinese full spectrum led light fixtures with 4 t-5s as supplemental lighting over my 140 (84 long x 24 tall x 16 wide). They came with the 90 degree optic lenses on them and I've been running them like that thus far. They sit at the top of my canopy which is 12 in off the top of the water line.

My question is what would be the pros and cons of having the optics or removing them?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1045500=63242-IMG_0509.jpg
>
1045500=63242-IMG_0509.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0509.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

pic 2
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1045502=63243-IMG_0760.jpg
>
1045502=63243-IMG_0760.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0760.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

If you remove them you will have less par at the bottom but the spread of light will be better.

thefishbuddy;1045504 wrote: If you remove them you will have less par at the bottom but the spread of light will be better.

I run them at probably 40% with the optics, so if I were to remove them and increase the intensisty I should get the same par with more spead right?

I would assume you would get a lot more par up top but only increase the par at the bottom by a small %. Just my 2 cent.

if you remove the optics it scatters the light everywhere and without anything properly reflect the light down into the tank it will end up getting absorbed by whatever else it hits. if you want better spread just use different optics but honestly i would leave it as is because at 12" off the water and no wider than your tank is you should have no problems with spread. and the extra t5's should be enough to fill in any darker spots that might occur between the lights. is there any reason youre thinking of getting rid of the optics or are you just experimenting?

Picoreefguy;1045518 wrote: if you remove the optics it scatters the light everywhere and without anything properly reflect the light down into the tank it will end up getting absorbed by whatever else it hits. if you want better spread just use different optics but honestly i would leave it as is because at 12" off the water and no wider than your tank is you should have no problems with spread. and the extra t5's should be enough to fill in any darker spots that might occur between the lights. is there any reason youre thinking of getting rid of the optics or are you just experimenting?

I was thinking about just experimenting with it and seeing if the spread would be better. I noticed the RB value fixtures mainly don't have the optics on them, just the standard 120 degree led.

Back