Red Sea Purple Tang group buy

Nemo has them for $155 in the store....not much saving in my opinion on the scale of things. plus you can see it in person and ask the store person to feed it....
Awesome insight! Thanks!

Being able to see them first is a huge value added. But $30 savings each (plus the 1 week guarantee) is substantial enough for some people to consider. I personally have had a suspiciously low survival rate from Nemos, but that could just be coincidence. I like Simon and the store.

I don’t know where my preference would fall between these two options.

Awesome insight! Thanks!

Being able to see them first is a huge value added. But $30 savings each (plus the 1 week guarantee) is substantial enough for some people to consider. I personally have had a suspiciously low survival rate from Nemos, but that could just be coincidence. I like Simon and the store.

just copying/pasting what i wrote on the other thread:

i think they changed the policy since the last time i ordered from them (btw they don't have quality that they used to): if a fish passes away during 1 week guarantee, you will be issued a store credit that expires within a few months....at least that's my recollection.

they will not replace/reship the deceased fish for you at the price that you paid plus you will be charged for $10 for the box fee in addition to the shipping fee.

Awesome insight! Thanks!

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I figured it was just me.

just copying/pasting what i wrote on the other thread:

i think they changed the policy since the last time i ordered from them (btw they don't have quality that they used to): if a fish passes away during 1 week guarantee, you will be issued a store credit that expires within a few months....at least that's my recollection.

they will not replace/reship the deceased fish for you at the price that you paid plus you will be charged for $10 for the box fee in addition to the shipping fee.
It is free shipping over $150 so it would be very close. I wonder how long the credit actually lasts.

It is free shipping over $150 so it would be very close.

yup. i don't disagree here. i'm just thinking out loud the possiblity:

let's say i'm one of the participant for the group buy and i pay Andrew for the purple tang + tax

my tang dies, LA gives me store credit, i re-purchase the tang (at an unknown $$$), if i need to add extra $ to qualify for free shipping, then i need to pay andrew and then he orders what i want?

So I just called liveaquaria and here is what they said the credit awarded last for a year from the date of purchase. You would not be able to get the price break again without ordering the required amount again for that same price break. The credit issued can also be used on dry goods as well. So what we could do is this let's say you ordered a fish and it died and we got a credit for it you could either wait for the next group buy or get some dry goods or order again and pay the difference. The same risk in paying the difference is there regardless if your doing a group buy or if you are doing an order yourself. At least this way you have a better chance of getting a fish for a slightly better cost. I feel like we could ask for a volunteer or if not the last person to join the group buy would be the one that would endue this risk.

Let just say 10 people get in on Purple Tangs. That's $1250.00. Now on day 8 the person who's holding all 10 fish is at work and there's a power outage at their house. This could be one of any multitude of potential issues that could wipe them all out. Is that person left having to pay everyone back?

This just sounds like a huge headache in the making. A LFS would probably be a better bet for a buy like this. Actually Petco would be the prefect place to do this. All their fish come from LA. I've known several people that order from them and go to the store on arrival day. You pick your livestock up in LA bags and they never hit the store systems.

Let just say 10 people get in on Purple Tangs. That's $1250.00. Now on day 8 the person who's holding all 10 fish is at work and there's a power outage at their house. This could be one of any multitude of potential issues that could wipe them all out. Is that person left having to pay everyone back?

This just sounds like a huge headache in the making. A LFS would probably be a better bet for a buy like this. Actually Petco would be the prefect place to do this. All their fish come from LA. I've known several people that order from them and go to the store on arrival day. You pick your livestock up in LA bags and they never hit the store systems.
I mean there is always risks in everything though. We could just order the fish and on the day of delivery everyone picks up their fish and we say to heck with the warranty.

If we could find a LFS that would be willing to do something like this that would be even better. Anyway we could reach out to our LFS ARC sponsors and see if any of them would be willing to do a group buy on a fish order for us? I actually like this idea better. We get to support a local business in the process as well as save a little money.

@Adam I agree. those same concerns as yours are what started the Club QT tangent. It’s a huge complex issue... and would be much easier as an agreement between friends than as a club system. But nonetheless, there would be lots to consider before anyone QTs a group of fish for others.

I have to say, as much as people bash Petco. If you go to the one here in Duluth, off pleasant hill, you can order fish for a hell of a dell sometimes and usually pickup is on Fridays. Still in the bag, never touch their system. I bought many fish this way and put in QT and never had any issues either.

I have to say, as much as people bash Petco. If you go to the one here in Duluth, off pleasant hill, you can order fish for a hell of a dell sometimes and usually pickup is on Fridays. Still in the bag, never touch their system. I bought many fish this way and put in QT and never had any issues either.
I've done that as well there. Unfortunately the prices recently went up recently. A purple tang was $100 now it is $200.

I've done that as well there. Unfortunately the prices recently went up recently. A purple tang was $100 now it is $200.
Yeah, I think everyone has went up. I haven't stopped by lately since my system is fully stocked out but you can always inquire when the next 30% marine life sale will be and you can order for that as well. The manager is great to deal with.

the harmony is so good in my tank i would be afraid to add a powder blue or purple tang

yup. couldn't agree more. $99 per purple tang. sometimes they have promo event that's 20%-30% off. so that's $70-$80 plus taxes before covid.

Marine life costs have gone up across the board because one one thing: shipping. Ask @scottw shipping prices have doubled. The stores are just going to pass that cost on to the consumers. Sad.

Marine life costs have gone up across the board because one one thing: shipping. Ask @scottw shipping prices have doubled. The stores are just going to pass that cost on to the consumers. Sad.
I wish our importing costs only doubled. A 20 foot container from Taiwan used cost us about $1200 back in March. Summer time peak season surcharge would be $500 extra June through October. Now the price is $4K!!!! And there's a waiting list! That's just the base ocean freight, there's still Duty, Customs Clearing, Brokerages fees, Insurance, Rail, Drayage...

Air freight is pretty bad as well. Until there's a globally available vaccine we will not see the number of flights world wide get back to anywhere near where they were at the beginning of the year.

Well getting back to the main topic on hand. Who is able to talk with some local fish stores about maybe doing a group buy for something like this or would everyone rather do another type of fish? Are we able to put a poll out that lets people add their choices in like FB does? Or should this last part be another thread completely as well? X-P

A group buy for fish sounds like a cluster bomb to me. If fish stores want more than I like for a fish i ask Justin Schell (Schell's Reef and Reptiles on Facebook) to get one for me, the savings are always worth the drive.

Back