Red Slime remover

jimw369

Reaction score
Saw this on another forum and was wondering if any body here has ever done this. Im just not one of the smart guys when it comes to the big words. Thanks.

"I've used Maracyn I to treat red cyano in the past. It is a gram-positive antibiotic powder containing B complex vitamins and the broad-spectrum antibiotic Erythromycin. Can get it locally for around $5.00. Sure beats the high price for the Red Slime Remover".

Most commercial products like Chemi-Clean do work, but IMO they just open the door for even more annoying algaes to take over since you aren't fixing the problem that caused it to begin with.

I agree with Cameron completely.

I have some chemi-clean, however, and I'll give it to you at Tuesday's meeting if you like.

jimw369;133568 wrote: Saw this on another forum and was wondering if any body here has ever done this. Im just not one of the smart guys when it comes to the big words. Thanks.

"I've used Maracyn I to treat red cyano in the past. It is a gram-positive antibiotic powder containing B complex vitamins and the broad-spectrum antibiotic Erythromycin. Can get it locally for around $5.00. Sure beats the high price for the Red Slime Remover".

I am not having a prob with Cyano and appreciate the offer for the chemicals.

What I am asking is has anyone ever used Maracyn (sp) to get rid of red slime like the person I am quoting says will work. I have never heard of this before. Thanks

I'm a lil leary of antibiotics in a saltwater reef setting...

Erythromycin is highly effective against gram-positive bacteria which cyano would fall under so that's good. It is also effective against some gram-negative bacteria. The denitrifying bacteria that keeps our tanks from going toxic on us is gram-negative but may or may not be effected by erythromycin. I don't think its worth the risk to just save a few bucks... Cyano isn't the problem anyways, its merely a symptom.

Roland Jacques;133630 wrote: I believe chemi clean and erythormycin are the samething.

The package says "Contains no phosphates, algacides, or erythromycin succinate." It's an oxidizer rather than an anti-biotic. But it's just treating the symptom, not the problem, so it's counter productive. Anti-biotics, IMO, should be avoided because the impact the 'good' bacteria as well as the 'bad'.

Back