Reduced flow at night -- good idea?

Hey, Brandon, gotta go! always fun and thought provoking! Thanks!

I am trying to get you to stop posting articles out of context. (and to try to get you to stop quoting reef central posts word for word without any original thought on the subject.) That is a dangerous practice.

I think I have added A LOT to the discussion. I can not help it if your copied posts are crap from people regurgitating stuff they don't understand. At least I can formulate an explanation for how and why it works and discuss and debate the theories of the things we do not know. That is adding something to the discussion, right?

So, I will leave the thread with this:

"Slowing down the flow rate at night will NOT harm corals, and in the case of feeding, might help the corals. Creating a turbulent ebb and flow system would be the best over all."

Hey Ralph, you can quote me on that! ;)

/spank

Okay folks -- after reading a few more reviews and checking with Tim on his Vortech group buy -- I may spring for one.

Question: Can I program the Vortech to do one thing during the day and go into lagoon mode at night?

If I can afford this -- I can only afford one for now. So it would be at one end of my 125 (6-feet) with a K 4 at the other end. Also have 3 K 1's in the middle pointing in different directions.

So, what'cha think -- leave it as is or go for broke (pun intended).

-geno

Yes, Charlie, I believe what I am stating to be true. That's why brandon & I are in a discussion. If I didn't believe I was right, then the debate wouldn't exist. You're only adding trouble, nothing more (knowing our history), and will Hide behind Brandon, since u are backing him up. People can choose on their own, they are not as dumb as u think. (not by a long shot). Reducing flow by shutting iffyhe majority of your pumps might not kill then, (but it might), but it might not be healthy either. There is nothing more to add on both sides, so ......

geno;314171 wrote: Okay folks -- after reading a few more reviews and checking with Tim on his Vortech group buy -- I may spring for one.

Question: Can I program the Vortech to do one thing during the day and go into lagoon mode at night?

If I can afford this -- I can only afford one for now. So it would be at one end of my 125 (6-feet) with a K 4 at the other end. Also have 3 K 1's in the middle pointing in different directions.

-geno

Get one!

Oh, before this goes further, I'm putting u back on my ignore list & I am unsubscribing to this thread. Just an FYI! Thanks! That's all folks!

Gene, the vortec has a night mode that is easily programmed, if that is what you are asking. It will be a nice addition, and I dont think you will regret that purchase.

You can't have the Vortech in one mode during the daytime and then switch to Lagoon Reef mode at night, but as Derek says you can program it for night mode which will be 10 hours of constant speed, 50% of the max you have your daytime mode set to.

geno;314171 wrote: Okay folks -- after reading a few more reviews and checking with Tim on his Vortech group buy -- I may spring for one.

-geno

Yes, Gene you should be able to do what you want with them. I do not own one but I have seen them in action and am pretty sure that if can do exactly what you want! ;)

Just make sure you only reduce it to 50%... 49.5% and below will kill your corals!!!! See there is this whole thing with O2 exchange and not being able to breath. BTW: Did you know that corals have lungs?!?

I don't know, an orange or yellow SPS coral with a bunch of blue dots might look pretty cool.

Back