Refugium lighting Link

calireefer

Market
Reaction score
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html</a>

I have a coralife 2x18w 50/50 lighting my refugium at the moment but I'm not getting very fast growth of chato or caulerpa despite using a 24/7 photo period. I am planing on trying the 51k bulb and maybe going to a reverse photo period of 16 on 8 off. Any thoughts on this?

You need to get a bulb for growing plants like a 6500K or 6700K. You will get much better growth than a 10000K. I am running a 2X9 Watt 6700K and I have to prune my macro's every month.

Mike,

msnajkowski wrote: You need to get a bulb for growing plants like a 6500K or 6700K. You will get much better growth than a 10000K. I am running a 2X9 Watt 6700K and I have to prune my macro's every month.

Mike,

It is true that he has to prune it lol. He gave me a HUGE ziplock bag full of it and still had a TON of it in his fuge. I don't even know how it all fit in there. I bought the CPR light for my fuge but it is 10K but I don't know if I can get any other bulb for it and I don't have the money to spend on a new fixture? What do I do?

Im using the 5100k bulb from Melev's site and it has done wonders to my Chaeto growth.I tried PC's and 50/50 bulbs and it always died.I also run my light on a reverse lighting period to stabilize the PH.

I got a coralife fixture with the 6700K bulbs @ Aquabuys. I,m sure you can get bulbs there. He may not have the bulbs listed on his site but should have them in stock. This is the light I use.

merchant.mvc

Bryan,

You should be able to get bulbs for it. It should be a standard size bulb. In addition, the CPR lights come standard with 7100K bulbs.

home depot has 6700K PC Desk lamps for $20 - 30 that are easily modified for refuge work. I got mine for $20 on sale and it is 27W.

msnajkowski wrote: Bryan,

You should be able to get bulbs for it. It should be a standard size bulb. In addition, the CPR lights come standard with 7100K bulbs.

No mine came with a 10K? It says it on the bulb. I also got mine from Aqua Buys!

Marlin, I just set up the same set up this week as your link. (From the same site) I had to order 5100K bulbs from the site that was given. Pissed me off, no flood lights say the temp rating anymore so you can not go to lowes and find one and know what you are getting.

Yeah thats what I thought. Looks like I'll just order them. Is this the place you ordered the bulb from
B]How was the service

I ordered them yesterday, we will see how fast they get here. I ordered one extra if you want it. Shipping was a killer at $7.00 so I bought two just do it did not hurt as much.

I got these locally from Atlanta Light Bulbs in Marietta (Roswell Road between 41 and the east end of the loop.

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=19CFLR40.50">http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=19CFLR40.50</a>

They're 5000K bulbs, but they should do great for the refugium once I build a fixture. Lowes sells PVC light sockets that can screw into 1/2" PVC pipe fittings for easy mounting.

I ordered 2 from Light Bulbs Etc yesterday, we'll see how they do at propagating the cheato I got from calireefer. I am going to use a leftover pendant light that is from changing out my lights at my loft. I have 2 extra pendants if anyone wanted them. 10 ft cord with a stainless steel cone cover. Just like these except minus the big cone at the bottom.

06533_PE082340_S3.jpg
alt="" />

George thanks for the info on where to buy locally. Xyzpdq0121 was nice enough to order an extra one. Problem solved. Hope my macro's go crazy.
I might be interested in one of those lighting fixtures Mark. Are you able to take the reflector off of them, I think the bulbs have built in reflectors. If you have a picture I would love to see what it looks like. Thanks.
Merlin

calireefer wrote: George thanks for the info on where to buy locally. Xyzpdq0121 was nice enough to order an extra one. Problem solved. Hope my macro's go crazy.
I might be interested in one of those lighting fixtures Mark. Are you able to take the reflector off of them, I think the bulbs have built in reflectors. If you have a picture I would love to see what it looks like. Thanks.
Merlin

Merlin..

It the reflector is already off these fixtures. I used the reflector on my hanging lights in my loft, should have seen the ones I replaced(chinese food anyone). If you want one let me know and its yours. One more left if anyone wants it!

Hey Mark I'll take it, just PM with a time that works for you and I'll stop by and pick it up. Thanks.
Merlin

calireefer wrote: Yeah thats what I thought. Looks like I'll just order them. Is this the place you ordered the bulb from http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com">[B]www.lightbulbsdirect.com[/B]</a>[B]. [/B]How was the service?[/QUOTE]

I have had one of their 5K bulbs on my sump/refugium for about a month now and the clump of cheato I got from you has almost doubled in size. That bulb is amazing.

David...have you seen any difference since you added yours on your refugium?

Back