Replacing bulbs soon

mikesommers

Market
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on MH bulbs. I am running XM 20k 175watt bulbs over driving them. I am going to step up wattage to 250. Any ideas on bulb brands that may out perform XM 250 20ks? They have to be single ended probe start.

Thanks for any info and Happy Reefing:thumbs:

mikesommers;235279 wrote: Looking for ideas on MH bulbs. I am running XM 20k 175watt bulbs over driving them. I am going to step up wattage to 250. Any ideas on bulb brands that may out perform XM 250 20ks? They have to be single ended probe start.

Thanks for any info and Happy Reefing:thumbs:
I am a big fan of my Reef Optics SE's overdriven not sure of the PAR but they look great to me.. Ask john, or your more then welcome to check them out your self...You can see the new 120 We got up today...Nothing in it yet but some rock though

DrNecropolis;235292 wrote: I am a big fan of my Reef Optics SE's overdriven not sure of the PAR but they look great to me.. Ask john, or your more then welcome to check them out your self...You can see the new 120 We got up today...Nothing in it yet but some rock though

I looked at your build thread looks good. Have you ever used Coral Vue?

mikesommers;235308 wrote: I looked at your build thread looks good. Have you ever used Coral Vue?
Nope... Never used them.These bulbs were $33 each and I would pick them up over most single end bulbs I have seen

DrNecropolis;235292 wrote: I am a big fan of my Reef Optics SE's overdriven not sure of the PAR but they look great to me.. Ask john, or your more then welcome to check them out your self...You can see the new 120 We got up today...Nothing in it yet but some rock though

Do you know if thet are probe start??

photokid;235313 wrote: if you have the right ballast i would look at getting radiums.

Radiums are pulse start as far as I know. I have to have a probe start bulb.

I have a older magnetic HQI ballast overdriving mine, I can send you a link to the guys page it you want. PM john and ask him what he thinks about them

a>

Ansleys bulbs have a great color. We have not had a chance to check the Par though. They seem like a good bulb and have a pretty good price. Not sure if they are puls or probe start though. He is running them on an HQI ballast so which I believe is pulse start. From my understanding the pulse start will fire probe or pulse start bulbs but not the other way around. I could be wrong though and am not an expert. My sudgestion would be to call up the company that you are ordering the bulbs from and give them the ANSI number off your ballast so they can make sure the bulb you order will fire on your ballast.

johnr2604;235340 wrote: Ansleys bulbs have a great color. We have not had a chance to check the Par though. They seem like a good bulb and have a pretty good price. Not sure if they are puls or probe start though. He is running them on an HQI ballast so which I believe is pulse start. From my understanding the pulse start will fire probe or pulse start bulbs but not the other way around. I could be wrong though and am not an expert. My sudgestion would be to call up the company that you are ordering the bulbs from and give them the ANSI number off your ballast so they can make sure the bulb you order will fire on your ballast.

I will call both companys. Pulse start will fire both probe start will not. I do know that for a fact. My ballasts require a probe start bulb. They are plain old M58 ballasts. I will either get Hamiltons or maby XM again. So know one has ever seen numbers from Coral Vue bulbs? They also have a fair price. Everything else is around $140 a pair. If I go with 250watt and stop over driving they will probally last longer.

Well out of the two you are looking at I would go with the XM's. They get pretty good reviews. Its been a pretty long time since I have played with single ends but I was pretty sure that pulse start would fire both and probe would only fire probes. It does limit your bulb choice. If they were pulse I would recomend the ushios or reeflux hands down like mentioned above.But everyone seems to use the XM's on the probe start.

DrNecropolis;235350 wrote: Out of Hamilton and XM I would go with XM Hammys are kinda inconsistent

XM it is. What did you think of the lighting on my tank? I have used XM bulbs for a long time and they always last. I burnt these up quick over driving them. So I am going with a pair of 250s instead. They should last longer not over driving. I just wonder if all my corals will handle another 150 watts.

<span style="color: #1f497d">Yes, my bulbs are Probe start bulbs. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Thanks again.</span>
<span style="color: #1f497d"><span style="font-family: dearJoe four">Weston Hull</span></span>
<span style="color: #1f497d">ReefOptics Lighting</span>
<span style="color: #1f497d">http://www.reefopticslighting.com"><span style="color: blue">www.reefopticslighting.com</span></a></span>

<span style="color: #1f497d">Cool I want to see your tank Ansley. That is a great price on those bulbs. Also would like to know par numbers. He responded fast.</span>

Back