Rowa Phos

Are you sure??? The reactor instructions say that you can, and if you can not fill it up to the minimum with just GFO it says to use carbon and thats what I did. I'm all confuse now :confused2:

you should have gotten the Spanish version of instructions :) answer your phone tomorrow

Haha I know that would make stuff a lot easier but it is what it is :eek: .

Kozo;280456 wrote: Are you sure??? The reactor instructions say that you can, and if you can not fill it up to the minimum with just GFO it says to use carbon and thats what I did. I'm all confuse now :confused2:

Basically you pump a slow amount of water thru them. The Media (GFO) removes what your trying to remove. The media will bind Phosphate to the media, removing it from the water.

Carbon will clean the water of toxins and other organics. It also polishes the water to keep it clear. A Phosphate reactor works for this as well. Don't mix them in the same reactor though, Carbon is cheaper and doesn't last as long as Phosphate media.

It is usually best to rinse all media before putting it in your tank. Most directions tell you to.

With most reactors it is vital to have as much water as possible touch the media. Therefore, it is best to pump the water in from the bottom of the reactor.

Yes, you can mix the 2, however, carbon will usually last from about 72 hours to 2 weeks, whereas GFO will last approximately from 2 weeks to a month. Of course, this is very generalized, but the premise here is that GFO lasts about 2x longer. Also, when carbon is saturated, it tends to release back. If you have 2 reactors in series, have the carbon first. This way if any nutrients released the gfo is picking it up. It is more important to have the GFO at a proper flow level, so separately, it is easier to see. You only want the gfo's surface to "appear" to start to boil or "perk". Mixed together, it will be hard to do so.

It's not going to do any real harm though. If you decide to keep them mixed, I would mix at a 2:1 ratio or greater to compensate for the different saturation points of each media.

Back