Sea Lettuce/Ulva Issues

Jarad

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have a potential solution for Ulva/Sea Lettuce. Somehow some of it got in my small 50G AIO, and it's spread everywhere. My Bristletooth may or may not be nipping some at it. I've added a couple of urchins, pink and tux types, to see what they do. They demolish and clean the algae, but not sure how much they touch the lettuce. I'm also manually removing, and my nitrates are <5, phosphates <0.08. Anyone have any other potential CUC or similar that might work (lights/treatment/etc). Thanks in advance.

Anyone have a potential solution for Ulva/Sea Lettuce. Somehow some of it got in my small 50G AIO, and it's spread everywhere. My Bristletooth may or may not be nipping some at it. I've added a couple of urchins, pink and tux types, to see what they do. They demolish and clean the algae, but not sure how much they touch the lettuce. I'm also manually removing, and my nitrates are <5, phosphates <0.08. Anyone have any other potential CUC or similar that might work (lights/treatment/etc). Thanks in advance.
found an r2r thread talking about using peroxide.. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-with-getting-rid-of-ulva.636445/post-6344325

Also read these guys love Ulva

Thanks, and found the same thread. Considering it, for sure, but looking at other optinos as well. Thanks for the Cowrie heads up. MIght try them or a hare and see what happens.

Man, I've dealt with the stuff and the only thing that helped was fluconazole. I was also dealing with a type of bryposis/hair algae and the Reef Flux worked really well for the ulva, bubble algae and the byropsis. I know exactly where the ulva came from too! I saw it on a frag and thought I had picked up a freebie! I mean, they sell the stuff for tangs, it must be good, right?!?! Not so much.

Man, I've dealt with the stuff and the only thing that helped was fluconazole. I was also dealing with a type of bryposis/hair algae and the Reef Flux worked really well for the ulva, bubble algae and the byropsis. I know exactly where the ulva came from too! I saw it on a frag and thought I had picked up a freebie! I mean, they sell the stuff for tangs, it must be good, right?!?! Not so much.
My bryopsis came in on snails from Reeftopia

I actually think it came from some dried seaweed I got from BRS and not from a frag, but not really sure. Never saw it enter (outside of the dried stuff), but boy did it explode. I'm considering flux as well, but wasn't sure if ulva responded to it or not. I'll keep an eye out. I'm also considering an upgrade, so maybe if that happens I can just move everything over livestock wise, and restart the scape for a different project after burning it with fire. Thanks all.

Back