Second study links Carbon use and HLLE Disease

mysterybox;690590 wrote: I use this:

ROX 0.8 High Performance Carbon (BRS)

I only need to use 1/2 as much.

I would tend to believe in the study personally....

However, rinsed ROX has the least amount of "fines", and most importantly, I don't have any fish that is susceptible to HLLE.
:fish:

I was not slamming Dave for posting the original article. I just have it in for 'studies' that are poorly designed, have too little statistical significance and then offer claims of proof.

In college I learned about the 'post hoc' falacy in logic class. This same type of reasoning is also the basis of superstitions (walking under ladders is bad luck, type of thing).

Last night I was in a rare mood and, admittedly, went off on the article. I feel better today (feel free to have some fun with it, I won't mind), but stand by my critique.

My apology to Acroholic, if I offended you in any way. I hope that you know I have way too much respect for you, to do that intentionally.

Respectfully,
Bill

No offense taken Bill. Without a lot of any type of research on these issues, I think it good to look at anything available. If this is no better than in-depth anecdotal observation, it is more than we had before it was published.

I'll post what happens to my RS Tang after I implement the Purigen and eliminate the carbon. If I see a quick improvement it will add more anecdotal smoke to the HLLE/carbon causation theory.

I use lignite carbon from BRS but I rinse it a ton. Like 5 gallons of SW ran through it from the tank during a water change.

How could this stuff not be rinsed before being used? It's about as dirty as it can get for carbon. You may as well be mining for coal without using a mask or anything....it's that bad.

Acroholic;690683 wrote: Thanks...I have a RS Purple Tang that has a touch of HLLE, and I have used carbon run through a BRS media reactor continuously since I set up this tank and its predecessor. I am buying some Purigen to use instead of carbon and will see if I have any changes in his condition.

How long have you had the purple? I find this very interesting, I also have a Tang or two. I do use carbon, and would like to know more.

Thanks JB.

Acroholic;690508 wrote: Looks like there are three Seachem products that could be used. I am confused. Renew is basically a carbon replacement. Then there is Purigen and Hypersorb, which do the same thing as carbon per Seachem on their website. You can recharge and reuse Purigen and Hypersorb with a bleach soak, but not Renew.

on a side note... if you've got 3 products, two of which can be recharged, one of which can't..

why would you name the one product of the three that CAN'T be recharged... Renew ?

:unsure:

Edit: How common is HLLE anyway?

I've seen hundreds of fish...

only seen HLLE a couple times

and most people I know use carbon in some manner..

Rbredding;691223 wrote: on a side note... if you've got 3 products, two of which can be recharged, one of which can't..

why would you name the one product of the three that CAN'T be recharged... Renew ? .

That is odd, now that you mention it.

I have replaced the carbon in my BRS Reactor with Purigen. Enough to do the entire 450 gallon (450 ml) system just fits inside the reactor in a fine mesh bag. I'll do the same in my 100 gallon system in a TLF reactor.

I don't know if Purigen really goes 6 months between changes, but that is nice for the lazy reefer.

i git 2 to 3 months out of it itl change color wen its through kinda black/brown color

Back