SEIO controller?

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
Everywhere I look, websites say NOT to use it with any other pump out there.... Although there have been some threads where I do believe people have used them with modded MJ's.

Since I'm not going to do this crazy CLS that I had in the leaky tank, and I can'treally find the $$ to spend $800 on a pair of vortech powerheads, I thought I'd try the modded MJ's on some 1200's that I already have. I do have a wavemaker box already, but I like the idea of varying the flow instead of on off.

In addition, do you think 2 of the modded MJ's will be sufficent for my 75, or should I stick a 3rd one on the back wall facing the front?

TWO 1600 GPH modded MJ 1200 would be a bit to much for a 75 IMO.
I run two 2500 modded MJ1200s on a 150 and i had to play with placement for a few days before i found a spot that did not blow every thing around. ended up pointing them up at the surface. I have them on a timer (on off type) on with lights off 2 hour at noon then on till dark.

Hydro 4s or 3s may be a better choice for a 75. Also the 1600 that i used made a little noise with older MJs

People are using the sieo controller with other low watt a/c pumps with good results,

I used the Seio controller on two Koralia 4 and a couple MJ 600 mods. Worked fine.

Did you use one controller on more than 2 pumps by chance? I also need some wave action for the frag tank in the basement (actually 2 4'x4'x8")

Would be nice to only have to buy 1 controller per tank.

Roland Jacques;118289 wrote: TWO 1600 GPH modded MJ 1200 would be a bit to much for a 75 IMO.
I run two 2500 modded MJ1200s on a 150 and i had to play with placement for a few days before i found a spot that did not blow every thing around. ended up pointing them up at the surface. I have them on a timer (on off type) on with lights off 2 hour at noon then on till dark.

Hydro 4s or 3s may be a better choice for a 75. Also the 1600 that i used made a little noise with older MJs

People are using the sieo controller with other low watt a/c pumps with good results,

You think 2 of the hydro's and the controller, coupled with the OR 3500 return will be enough flow? I'm using a C2C or calfo-style overflow so the overflow should be pulling from a large area. It would be nice to position the powerheads on the backside of the tank (up in the corners) to aviod seeing cords and such.

Yes I used one controller for four pumps. But obviously there is only two channels on the controller so you get two pumps slowed down at a time.

The only issue with these AC controllers is they can't slow the pumps on the alternating side down too much so you will still be getting 50% plus from the alternating side.

46bfinga;118315 wrote: Yes I used one controller for four pumps. But obviously there is only two channels on the controller so you get two pumps slowed down at a time.

No worries there, I was hoping to have 2 pumps per frag tank, cool that I can use one controller :)

Cameron;118319 wrote: The only issue with these AC controllers is they can't slow the pumps on the alternating side down too much so you will still be getting 50% plus from the alternating side.

So you are saying the lowest it will take the pump is ~50% correct?

TAftonomos;118320 wrote: So you are saying the lowest it will take the pump is ~50% correct?
Depends on the powerhead. Some powerheads won't restart if you drop them too low. I think the absolute lowest is 30% but you run the risk of the powerhead shutting down and not winding back up.

50% should be fine. I do have a wavebox type controller that will turn the pumps all the way off and back on. I know I tried this with the homemade MJ mod and it didn't work....sometimes they came on backwards. Susanti showed me his setup today on a tank and had it working, so maybe it was just my homebrew mod that was crap.

Likely your modded MJ was shutting down and coming back on because the speed was too slow. On/Off operation of an AC prop driven powerhead can and likely will shorten the life (some say significantly but I don't think there is any real research on that subject). I think you are going to find that speed setting very powerhead specific. Some will work great while others won't be able to slow down much without stopping.

The Seio controller only take the pumps down 30% for that reason. The reason why they say you cant use other pumps is obvious. They want to sell you there pumps and they dont want the liability of damaging other pumps. They worked beautifully for about 5 months on my tank and I never had any issues with the pumps restarting as long as the power stayed on.

Well, back up one last time....

SEIO controller and a piar of the korilias, or spring for a single vortech and hope it's enough. (pair of #4s + controller = $230) (vortech is ~$350 iirc)

I'm leaning towards the pair and the controller, not only is it 100 cheaper, but I'll have more control over the flow in such a small/shallow tank.

Thoughts?

taft
I have a seio controller on a pair of TUNZE 6080 and it is working great

You may be interested in this.....
showthread.php

Always a fan of multiple powerheads. A big advantage to me is you aren't relying on one pump for flow so if a powerhead bites it you aren't running around trying to fix it under the gun.

Taam isn't known for stellar support. I have heard similar fuse blown stories on those units, but others swear by them. Personally, I don't trust things that play with the AC curve and phase when the device was never tested with it.

Hrrmmm.....I'd hate to have to replace the controller.... 2 vortechs at $700 or the #4's and a SEIo....

Only the 6045 is meant to be controlled, but people have run the 6025 and 6045 on the Seio Controllers without problems. Nobody I know have run them long term with the exception of Big D above and you can see his results.

Back