Skimmer recommendation

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I’m looking for a skimmer for my new setup. It’ll be about 90g total, 66g + display 28g sump. I’m hoping for some great Black Friday deals. My budget max is gonna be $350 I think but of course lower is better. I had a Vertex Omega on my last tank and it was too inconsistent for me. I’ve also had a RO SRO2000 that was good but oversized for my tank so I don’t think I can judge it properly. I’m currently running an Aquamaxx hob that’s pretty nice and pulls gunk from my 20g like a champ.
Any recommendations?

I went with Bubble Magus for both systems-

A Curve 7 on the main 3 tank combo of ~135 gal. total volume.

A Curve 5 on the ~75 gal. total volume frag system.

You can spend a lot more money on a skimmer, but unless you go for a DC variable speed (~$500+), I just don’t see the point.

BM has a stellar reputation & other than the breakin period are pretty bullet proof.

Fwiw, I also de-rate most skimmers by ~1/2 of their rated capacity, as those ratings are, optimistic.

If you do consider a DC model, I would look at Reef Octopus with the Varios pumps. They are controllable via Apex & you can turn them down at night, as we discussed at the meeting.

Last edited:
It may help to know the footprint you are working with

I can’t seem to find my tape measurer at the moment but I have a pumpless SCA303, which from what I found online has a 10x7 footprint, that just fits in the skimmer section.

I mean I could. I’ve had a few atman pumps seize up on my before out of the blue that’s why I’m considering buying something different.

@hiimsean, from an R2R thread (below) -

“I had the same problem when I first got my skimmer (SWC 160 with Atman 2500). I found by simply putting two small nylon washers (found at HD in the drawers in the hardware section), it solved that problem. Put the washers of the front of the impeller, between the impeller and the front plate. I’m guessing, but I think the mesh rubs on the front face plate causing problems with startup. Haven’t had a problem since.”

I have the reef octopus sss series and I love it. Kinda big though

I had a BM Curve 5 running for several months and could never get it dialed in. It was always too wet or doing nothing. I finally took it out and shot it in favor of a RO Regal 150 and have been very happy with that decision. Its much easier to dial in, but It is kinda huge, and probably too big for your system. I don't think I'll ever buy another skimmer that isn't a Reef Octopus, I'd just look for one of theirs that is better suited for your tank as far as the size.

I have 2 RO 150 SSS skimmers. I highly recommend the RO skimmers with the Varios pumps.

First, the Varios pumps are easy to get and replace if needed. After going through a nightmare to get a replacement pump for a NYOS skimmer (and I never succeeded), Being able to really acquire a new pump and impeller will always be a priority for me in the future.

Second, you can control the Varios speed with your apex. This opens up the ability to do new things like providing aeration without skimming. This comes in handy when dosing bacteria or other tank treatments. This turned out to be a very useful feature for me.

“Second, you can control the Varios speed with your apex. This opens up the ability to do new things like providing aeration without skimming. This comes in handy when dosing bacteria or other tank treatments. This turned out to be a very useful feature for me.”

Carl, after our discussion of this, I am thinking about attempting the above by controlling the skimmer’s air feed via solenoid valves in lieu of varying pump speed.

I am intrigued by the potential to minimize impacts on bacteria & planktovores during after dark hours when they are most prevalent.

Otherwise, I bought a spare Varios-2 & may attempt a retrofit of the BM Curve 7.

I have a Coral Box DC700 skimmer. It works well and was used for about a year on 200 gallon system. I have a "custom" neck extension for it as well. Cost is $270 new. I'd be looking for around $100. It is the older cone-shaped model rather than curve shaped, but otherwise it looks pretty much like the picture of the current model.

I agree with others that suggested the Reef Octopus Regal 150 SSS. It just works and I love it. I found mine used for $275 I believe and it's on my 90 gallon, which is 105 gallons total system volume. I originally bought it for the skimmate overflow sensor, since when I travelled I didn't want to have to worry about the skimmer overflowing while I was away. I also have the RO Essence 130 that I got for $217 at Marine Depot last Black Friday, which to me is a good alternative in the Bubble Magus style. It's very consistent also. It is also set and forget for my 50 gallon frag tank, just without the DC drive and the sensor. Others I have used: Vertex Omega 130 (yes it was difficult to set) and the Bubble Magus Curve 5, it was fine though I don't think it was as consistent as the RO 130 has proven to be.

Well I’m still keeping an eye out for the Regal 150sss but the BM 5 and 7 have stated to go on BF sales already for 150/210 respectively. I also found this. I really like my Aquamaxx and I remember people loved the cone when it first came out. I can’t find much info on it though.

Well I’m still keeping an eye out for the Regal 150sss but the BM 5 and 7 have stated to go on BF sales already for 150/210 respectively. I also found this. I really like my Aquamaxx and I remember people loved the cone when it first came out. I can’t find much info on it though.
I have that exact skimmer. Ive had it a little over a month and really like it. The pump was a little noisy for the first couple of days and then went almost dead silent

Back