Slowly dying...

Thanks guys. Ok so raised the light. Going to give it a couple of days. Then I’m going to drop the temp a degree and get a thermometer. Going to try to lower my salinity and nitrates.

Umm with your setup bc you don't have a refugium you can possible use a nitrate remover BRS link

Or you can look up vodka dosing. I know @civics14 does this on his tank...and he has a beautiful thriving tank and he doesn't run a refugium.
With no skimmer, vodka dosing is not an option. He would have to just do more frequent smaller water changes so parameters don’t fluctuate too much.
Also, how much feeding are you doing?

Thats not much at all. How often are you doing water changes and what percent?

Also, i would suggest a different frozen food. As much as fish like the brine shrimp, they aren’t that nutritious and healthy as the only diet long term. Try mysis?
I did start recently doing mysis some. I’ll do that more. I also some days give them some flakes instead of frozen. The good news is the fish are doing great lol

Yeah, nothing really stands out on why you’re having all the deaths. But as someone mentioned, that much nitrates, I feel phosphates are high as well. Are you able to purchase a Hanna Phosphate checker to get some more accurate numbers?
Yep. Sure can.

And can you clarify consistent? How often are you testing?

I wouldn’t lower light output if you’re running high nutrients. Also, try not to do too many changes at once when trying to determine the issue.

strangely enough I had issues with my frag tank and getting my frags to stay alive for a while and all my parameters were in check. I was a bit baffled, but I had reduced my lights at one point and forgot. Once I powered it back up and tried again, no issues.

And can you clarify consistent? How often are you testing?

I wouldn’t lower light output if you’re running high nutrients. Also, try not to do too many changes at once when trying to determine the issue.

strangely enough I had issues with my frag tank and getting my frags to stay alive for a while and all my parameters were in check. I was a bit baffled, but I had reduced my lights at one point and forgot. Once I powered it back up and tried again, no issues.
Testing once a week. Ten days at most.

There are plenty of people here much smarter than I so take this as just my opinion and not fact....

Without a skimmer and with the young age of your tank - I think what you are seeing is kinda normal. Things are starting to mature, but just aren't quite there yet. Your fish won't really care or suffer - which is a good thing. But your corals will. The other good thing is they shouldn't go downhill overnight - allowing you time to adjust and react.

Without a skimmer I would do 50% water changes once a week for at least 3 or 4 weeks and not run the killing machine at all. If you are running that UV for water clarity - switch over to carbon and keeping nitrates/phosphates low enough to control algae. If you are getting cloudy water you may be seeing bacteria blooms - best to find the source and control without resorting to UV.

Be sure you are cleaning that HOB good as well.

Do you have gravel? How deep? About how many pounds of rock? With your bioload and no skimmer it might be a challenge for your biological filtration to keep up with nitrate control.

One other thing to look at is were there any aerosol cleaners used in the house or near the tank? What about scented candles? Sometime those can be over looked and are no no's. Regardless if they were used or not a decent water change and some carbon in the filter for a couple days may help if there's any toxins in the tank.

With the phosphates, a Hanna ULR will help you get more reliable test results. I bet it's not zero because 0 to 0.25 is a big swing for them. Shoot for under 0.1 and better at 0.05. Maybe someone local to you can test it for you before yours comes in. Would be good to see the test done too so you can get the best practices for it.

Beyond that it sounds like your doing everything else right and have gotten some good advice. Lower light intensity, mysis instead of brine... Rinsing the frozen in rodi water will help too. With a small tank that nasty water they're frozen in will up the nitrates and phosphates pretty quickly.

There are plenty of people here much smarter than I so take this as just my opinion and not fact....

Without a skimmer and with the young age of your tank - I think what you are seeing is kinda normal. Things are starting to mature, but just aren't quite there yet. Your fish won't really care or suffer - which is a good thing. But your corals will. The other good thing is they shouldn't go downhill overnight - allowing you time to adjust and react.

Without a skimmer I would do 50% water changes once a week for at least 3 or 4 weeks and not run the killing machine at all. If you are running that UV for water clarity - switch over to carbon and keeping nitrates/phosphates low enough to control algae. If you are getting cloudy water you may be seeing bacteria blooms - best to find the source and control without resorting to UV.

Be sure you are cleaning that HOB good as well.

Do you have gravel? How deep? About how many pounds of rock? With your bioload and no skimmer it might be a challenge for your biological filtration to keep up with nitrate control.
I have sand, maybe an inch, 40# of rock (36g), Chemipure Elite in the HOB

Back