Slowly dying...

Umm with your setup bc you don't have a refugium you can possible use a nitrate remover BRS link

Or you can look up vodka dosing. I know @civics14 does this on his tank...and he has a beautiful thriving tank and he doesn't run a refugium.
So I got the nitrate remover you linked but it says I need to use a skimmer which I don’t have unfortunately. Well I assume it means protein skimmer anyway. Any recommendations on that?

Yeah, nothing really stands out on why you’re having all the deaths. But as someone mentioned, that much nitrates, I feel phosphates are high as well. Are you able to purchase a Hanna Phosphate checker to get some more accurate numbers?
so I got my Hanna Checker today. Did the test twice. Once I got .32 and then .26.

so I got my Hanna Checker today. Did the test twice. Once I got .32 and then .26.
That is weird. I have the hanna checker as well and my numbers are in the margin of error when I was double checking. That is a big difference that you’re getting.

how I do it: I flick the reagent while sealed to get it into one corner of the packet. Fold it diagonally, cut along the dotted lines. Fill the vial with tank water, start the first check, pour the reagent (flicking the packet to get every bit out) into the vial, then hold the button to start the 3 min timer, shake vigorously for 1.5 minutes, then just tilt the vile up and down gently to loosen the bubble that gets stuck to the side, place in checker 30 sec before timer ends. Also, make sure your vial is clean. I wipe it clean before use and handle with a paper towel during the above process.

my personal opinion is that is high either way, but I believe plenty of tanks out there are fine with that number.

That is weird. I have the hanna checker as well and my numbers are in the margin of error when I was double checking. That is a big difference that you’re getting.

how I do it: I flick the reagent while sealed to get it into one corner of the packet. Fold it diagonally, cut along the dotted lines. Fill the vial with tank water, start the first check, pour the reagent (flicking the packet to get every bit out) into the vial, then hold the button to start the 3 min timer, shake vigorously for 1.5 minutes, then just tilt the vile up and down gently to loosen the bubble that gets stuck to the side, place in checker 30 sec before timer ends. Also, make sure your vial is clean. I wipe it clean before use and handle with a paper towel during the above process.

my personal opinion is that is high either way, but I believe plenty of tanks out there are fine with that number.
do you leave the cap on when it’s in the checker? And I just did a 10% water change and my nitrates are still 10. (Maybe 15)

The photo period could be a little on the long side. Cut it back to about 8-9 hours. I feel 11 is a little too long.

Update. Things seem to be a little better. I’ve raised the light, cut back the light by an hour, got rid of the veremetid snails, lowered the flow, got some phosguard, replaced the sponge in my filter. My zoas are starting to open more (more so when it’s only blue light). My harder corals still look dead but other things are coloring up.
Current parameters
Phosphates .15
Ph 8.0
Nitrates 0
Kh 9
Magnesium 1320
Calcium 460

Thanks for the help. Feels like it’s turning the corner.

Get some nitrates going and you’ll probably be just fine. Shoot for 5 - 10.

Temperature on the other hand. I recommend buying a cheap $1 glass thermometer. Heater controllers are some of the most unreliable of all temperature measuring devices. That alone may be your issue. Getting a glass thermometer will tell. Your goal should be somewhere between 76-78 degrees.
Thank you for this Andrew. Temp problems terrify me. I already had a less than one year old heater go out and raise water temp to over 100 degrees. Thankfully it was in my water station barrel and not my QT or DT.
I am going to go buy some glass thermometers today, as soon as I can figure out where to find one.
My Finnex thermost which is my primary heater reads 77, my backup controller for my backup heater is an inkbird. I got the fanciest model and for me it’s really difficult to program (to me, I can’t get it to pull up all the different things you can change parameters on.
Also Andrew, would the thermometer in the attached picture work.D2080C34-81D9-4246-87EB-0C8BD7AAA0F8.png

Thank you for this Andrew. Temp problems terrify me. I already had a less than one year old heater go out and raise water temp to over 100 degrees. Thankfully it was in my water station barrel and not my QT or DT.
I am going to go buy some glass thermometers today, as soon as I can figure out where to find one.
My Finnex thermost which is my primary heater reads 77, my backup controller for my backup heater is an inkbird. I got the fanciest model and for me it’s really difficult to program (to me, I can’t get it to pull up all the different things you can change parameters on.
Also Andrew, would the thermometer in the attached picture work.View attachment 28710
I got these. I got two because that was the minimum order to get them so cheap
Marina Floating Thermometer with Suction Cup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQITK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oLDlFb3ZVQ7JZ

Ok thanks Andrew. I think I’ll order a few. I like the hole at the top too so it could be hung by that.

Back