Solana owners, what do you think?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have been looking at the 34 gal solanas to set up as a SPS/mixed reef, and was wondering what you solana owners think? How's the skimmer, light, and other components? Any mods that have a significant improvement?

I was looking at old solana posts, and saw your posts before you got one. I was hoping you would comment. Why did you decide on the Solana?

Also, are you still running it as LPS mostly? How are you dosing? 2 part, Kalc, etc?

I just transfered everything from my 22 cube to the solana. I have it in my living room so I was looking for a quiet tank. I bought a new skimmer intake line and ran it under the stand and the skimmer is surprisingly quiet. It is still breaking in, but I like it. I turned the ATO (3rd chamber) into a mangrove, macro fuge. So far I think it's great. I have SPS, zoas, and clams. I hope to post pics tomorrow.

i like mine as well. im ordering tunzr 9002 skimmer.stock skimmer does ok . i added a koralia 1 removed stock ato installed jbj auto top off. i think im going to add a reefkeep2 . not sure if i need a chiller yet. i ve got ny temps steady at 80 degrees. with the top off im loosing 3-4 gallons a week i think. jbj ato is really worth. it. im still playing with my rocks.its a weird size tank to stack rocks perfect. my clown did jump from my tank today .

Cappucino Bay has a Solana set up in their store. Quite a nice tank,IMO.
Dave

Any special changes you are making to the tank for this purpose? Other than above?

I'm wondering if it would be worth while to put my small cacl reactor on a tank such as a solana.

I am leaning towards getting the solana as well, still reading up on all this stuff as I have never done anything like this before!!

LiveRock27;163594 wrote: I have heard that the ATO is pretty much worthless, is this true?

with the top on yes. i loose 3-4 gallon a week with the top off.

flinster;163518 wrote: I just transfered everything from my 22 cube to the solana. I have it in my living room so I was looking for a quiet tank. I bought a new skimmer intake line and ran it under the stand and the skimmer is surprisingly quiet. It is still breaking in, but I like it. I turned the ATO (3rd chamber) into a mangrove, macro fuge. So far I think it's great. I have SPS, zoas, and clams. I hope to post pics tomorrow.

So are you manually topping off, or did you go with a different top off option?

JBJ ATO. I am thinking about a cal reactor as well, but am worried about putting one on such a small system. I'll have to read up.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that too. I have a little coralife one. If mine doesnt sell, I may try it. I measured today, and it will fit in the stand.

BTW, we need pics of your setup! I'd like to see it. How much LR did yu go with? Sand?

corvettecris;163745 wrote: Yeah, I have been thinking about that too. I have a little coralife one. If mine doesnt sell, I may try it. I measured today, and it will fit in the stand.

BTW, we need pics of your setup! I'd like to see it. How much LR did yu go with? Sand?
Nah. BB. I transferred the rock from a 90, not all of it obviously, probably 40#?? I need to take some pics. Will try to tomorrow.

I really like the BB look, but I wouldnt want coralline all over it. Are you gonna keep it scraped or just let it go?

So early, I haven't had to make that decision yet. Thought about putting a grassy GSP field on the BB.

what power heads are using? running? my koralia 1 is blowing sand. im thinking of going bb and removing my sand. maybe throw 2 koralia 3's in it.ive been thinking going mostly sps. can zoas handle alot of flow? ive got to have zoas in my system.

I have a tunze 6045 and a ton for zoas. They're fine with flow.

Yeah, zoas seem pretty versatile. Hey, Dawgdude, where did you get your black sand? BTW, we need pics of your setup too! I'd like to see it.

Back