some people..

umbrellacorp

Market
Reaction score
really piss me off. Why would this guy put a 40+ dollar shrimp in there.. knowing its going to get tortured and hunted every second of its life. Just seems really cruel to me. Oh, and i really like how he added music to it... what a jerk.

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtoKKpTUUj0&feature=related</div><iframe style="width: 70%; height: 400px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FtoKKpTUUj0&feature=related"></iframe>

Maybe he should have netted it first then placed it in the compartment of a boat and let it either freeze to death or suffocate before it was wrapped in plastic bag and sold at the lfs.

I have to be honest, I don't get what the big deal is? The shrimp is food. It's not any different than people buying feeder fish, worms to stick on a hook, or crickets to feed to reptiles, etc... For that matter what about cultivating copepods and amphipods for food?

Is this different because the shrimp is a kind kept as a pet by some people? Is it any more cruel than harvesting shrimp, letting them die, then freezing them to feed?

The difference is this is don purely for stupid human amusement. Yes, shrimp die pretty horrifically every day. But no one does it, films it, and displays it specifically to try to amuse themselves and others.

Would we be behaving differently if they were throwing puppies into the bear cages at the zoo, with people laughing and cheering as the puppies ran for their lives as the bears chased them and hunted them in a closed quarter?

The INTENTION is whats it question, not the action.

jmaneyapanda;676228 wrote: The difference is this is don purely for stupid human amusement. Yes, shrimp die pretty horrifically every day. But no one does it, films it, and displays it specifically to try to amuse themselves and others.

Would we be behaving differently if they were throwing puppies into the bear cages at the zoo, with people laughing and cheering as the puppies ran for their lives as the bears chased them and hunted them in a closed quarter?

Ok, I can buy that.

So killing millions of mysis shrimp to feed the fish that we snag from their home and put in cages for the intent of our entertainment and amusement is different I suppose.
Fwiw I do not view those type of videos if there no hits it may deter some from doing those type of things.

grouper therapy;676236 wrote: Fwiw I do not view those type of videos if there no hits it may deter some from doing those type of things.

its too bad most people dont share that view but alot of people enjoy watching this idiotic behavior everyone wants to be a youtube star

grouper therapy;676236 wrote: So killing millions of mysis shrimp to feed the fish that we snag from their home and put in cages for the intent of our entertainment and amusement is different I suppose.
Fwiw I do not view those type of videos if there no hits it may deter some from doing those type of things.

Mysis shrimp are captured and killed for a purpose, other than our entertainment. To feed captive wildlife. If the sole reason they were killed was to amuse our sadistic side, then it would be different. Again, its the intention in the act. You know all the carnivores in zoos (lions, tigers, etc)? What do you think they eat?

I agree wholeheartedly that less views would mean less demand. The sad thing, is that it looks like theres an educational sign behind the tank. As if this is a learning facility. Thats absurd.

Angcot70;676234 wrote: ok shrimp matter a side ... the octopus is cool ... i didnt know you could keep them, never saw one in a lfs ... i wouldnt mind a tank just for one of those!!
wouldnt put a cleaner shrimp in there though ;)
I've seen them in an LFS before. Liveaquaria has them too. I've been wanting one for a while but my wife won't let me get one for fear that he'll climb out of his tank and eat all her fish.

StillFocus;676255 wrote: I've seen them in an LFS before. Liveaquaria has them too. I've been wanting one for a while but my wife won't let me get one for fear that he'll climb out of his tank and eat all her fish.
Plus they generally only live about a year. Sad day when it dies.

Edit:
StillFocus;676255 wrote: I've seen them in an LFS before. Liveaquaria has them too. I've been wanting one for a while but my wife won't let me get one for fear that he'll climb out of his tank and eat all her fish.

Plus they generally only live about a year. Sad day when it dies.

On topic, I must confess I found it endlessly facinating to watch my frogfish eat live fish. The sheer speed was amazing. So I can see why someone would find watching the octopus stalk a live shrimp interesting.

jmaneyapanda;676241 wrote: Mysis shrimp are captured and killed for a purpose, other than our entertainment. To feed captive wildlife. If the sole reason they were killed was to amuse our sadistic side, then it would be different. Again, its the intention in the act. You know all the carnivores in zoos (lions, tigers, etc)? What do you think they eat?

I agree wholeheartedly that less views would mean less demand. The sad thing, is that it looks like theres an educational sign behind the tank. As if this is a learning facility. Thats absurd.
True some do it for kicks and some do it for money.

Edit:
jmaneyapanda;676241 wrote: Mysis shrimp are captured and killed for a purpose, other than our entertainment. To feed captive wildlife. If the sole reason they were killed was to amuse our sadistic side, then it would be different. Again, its the intention in the act. You know all the carnivores in zoos (lions, tigers, etc)? What do you think they eat?

True some do it for kicks and some do it for money.

jmaneyapanda;676228 wrote: The difference is this is don purely for stupid human amusement. Yes, shrimp die pretty horrifically every day. But no one does it, films it, and displays it specifically to try to amuse themselves and others.

thank you.

Edit:
Crew;676320 wrote: What language?

i was wondering the same.. but didnt want to say anything. i guess the pi** word?

___

also when i had an octo years ago, i would never feed it anything living. i just went to the supermarket and bought frozen shrimp. thawed them out and the octo was perfectly happy with that. i didnt mean to start a negative debate, i just dont think its right to put a living creature in a small environment that it has no chance of escaping, living out the rest of its life being scared to death and chased until eventually it is caught. That octo wont give up. Eventually it will win.

If the website didn't sensor it, whats the problem?

Back on topic, the octopus might not eat frozen or prepared foods. In another video, buck was feeding red crabs and had to wiggle them around the tank before the octopus decided he wanted dinner

Edit: on top of that, how is this different from other live foods (I know it was said earlier)

I had one about 10 years ago and I had it in a 20 gallon all by it's self. It was awesome to watch. I feed it fresh water black mollies because you can acclimate them over to saltwater. I tried the cheap goldfish feeders, but they only live about 10-20 minutes in saltwater. The mollies would just swim around until the octopus got hungry. It's cruel and you can beat me up if you will but I loved my Octopus and it would only eat if it was alive. I guess it likes to hunt it's prey. RIP Octavius.

What a jerk, that octo sucked too. If you watched the guy had to help the octo get the food. The shrimp was to fast for the octo. You know your a jerk when you help an octopus catch a shrimp. I don't mind it too much but they should have used a different kind of shrimp

you know, I usually like to stay out of these discussions because so many people on this site are nuts and go ballistic on you if you say anything that is the least bit controversial, but I have to say that I don't see it being that crazy what this guy is doing... I mean, I know that in nature we the shrimp might have a chance at getting away from this octopus, but just the other day I was at an LFS and the owner put a live shrimp in a tank for an eel to eat.. Showing some little kid that it would hunt it down and eat it. In the end, the lionfish came out of nowhere and snatched up the shrimp. Its nature. The octopus has to eat right? why not enjoy watching an animal make a kill? Don't we watch planet earth and think its amazing that some lion tracks down something to eat? I know that is truly undisturbed nature being filmed, but I just don't see that its THAT cruel. I mean, would I do it? Probably not, because its an expensive shrimp. But I just don't see how some of you are so disturbed. I totally respect others' opinions and not trying to change anyone's mind, but I just don't see this being sadistic.

Some animals only eat live food. Cuttles, dwarf seahorses, dragonetts(most part), octopus. If you dont give them food, they will starve on your watch.

Also it is a 30-40 dollars shrimp to us, but who knows maybe he gets them for free? Maybe he breeds them? Plus live saltwater feeders are a lot better for salwater fish, than the other fattier freshwater foods. Its the food chain like it or leave it. :/

UmbrellaCorp;676384 wrote: thank you.

Edit:

i was wondering the same.. but didnt want to say anything. i guess the pi** word?

___

also when i had an octo years ago, i would never feed it anything living. i just went to the supermarket and bought frozen shrimp. thawed them out and the octo was perfectly happy with that. i didnt mean to start a negative debate, i just dont think its right to put a living creature in a small environment that it has no chance of escaping, living out the rest of its life being scared to death and chased until eventually it is caught. That octo wont give up. Eventually it will win.
Where do you work??:eek::eek::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Back