sps loosing color

This may be helpful to you as well:
a>

How many fish in your tank? What are you feeding them and how much?
THAT is the question!

I feed one's a day pellets and shrimp and I have 3 tangs,2 clowns, 2 blue throat trigger and one yellow wrasse

angel;994140 wrote: I have never feed my corals i start about 2 weeks ago dousing acropower I have a bio pellets reactor , a 150 reef octopus skimmer and I also have some Chateo and culerpa in my sump. Would that be to much nutrients export?

i ran bio pellets for awhile. they dropped nitrates to 0 with a salifert test kit, and phosphates to .03-.05, using a hanna bench top meter. once the levels got to this point, all my sps started losing color. after a lot of research, seems that they strip the water of a lot of nutrients. i slowly reduced the amount and the colors came back nicely. i have since switched back to gfo and vodka dosing with great results.

MarquiseO;994210 wrote: This may be helpful to you as well: http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/">http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/</a>[/QUOTE]

While there may be some truth in what's said here I think following the instructions of the author for dosing practices is very poor. It's not a good idea to add something to the tank that you don't or can't test for. (While some trace test kits are available, fact is, just about nobody I know in the hobby have kits for the elements he's adding.) And, to suggest using your corals as an indicator is flat out scary. By the time a coral starts showing signs, it could be too late if the signs are bad.

The easiest and safest way to maintain all these trace elements in a proper proportional balance is frequent WC's with a high quality salt. In addition to my feeding regime outlined above, I would do 30g WC twice weekly on a 200g twv system with Salinity or Red Sea Coral Pro.

Remember that an addition of any element will impact it's ideal ratio and ionic balance within the tank relative to other elements. Elevated levels of "X" element will impact element "Y".

angel;994212 wrote: I feed one's a day pellets and shrimp and I have 3 tangs,2 clowns, 2 blue throat trigger and one yellow wrasse

that sounds like not enough!

Back