Starfish

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I got a really cool app that I’m enjoying exploring. Was reading about each type of CUC and starfish is grouped there. Who doesn’t love a starfish? They’re mostly beautiful and fascinating, but then I read the end (screenshot) and realized that for the most part just because we want something doesn’t mean we should have it. Just food for thought:
4580CD98-79E7-4DF8-AE15-E5393904C163.jpeg

There are some starfish that do well in captivity like Brittle starfish, but be warned some are more reef safe than others. My tank is loaded with micro brittle stars, only get to about 1". Here is a picture of a yellow brittle star that I've had for several years, he's about 16" tip to tipIMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

Yes
There are some starfish that do well in captivity like Brittle starfish, but be warned some are more reef safe than others. My tank is loaded with micro brittle stars, only get to about 1". Here is a picture of a yellow brittle star that I've had for several years, he's about 16" tip to tipView attachment 22668

View attachment 22669
I’m still waiting to get some of those from you :)
Brittle starfish were the only exception to this but that was in a different spot in the write up. They advise against starfish for the most part. Just thought I’d share the info because to me there is nothing worse than purchasing and animal, being assured that it is easy to keep or right for my tank and then having it die. I’d rather know in advance than spend time, money and emotion on something that most likely won’t do well. I’ve already made that mistake.

Chocolate chips do well in captivity but they aren't reef safe. Sand sifters are also pretty popular, but they starve to death very slowly if they don't have a large sand bed packed with micro organisms to feast on. Other than those 2 and brittle stars, I can't think of any other common ones that do well in reefs. Maybe the red and blue ones you see occasionally?

I've never had much luck with fromia species and I've never tried linckia's. But I do have brittle stars and really like the buggers. I've got plenty of micro brittles as well as some of the larger varieties. To my knowledge I've never had a downside to keeping them but they can get really big and pose a threat from what I've read. The largest one I have is pretty big, maybe 14" across?

Yes that is exactly what it says about sand sifters, that they slowly starve to death in captivity. I’ve never heard of a chocolate chip starfish. The section on starfish says they die if exposed to air but not immediately and since you don’t know if it has been exposed to air when you buy it it will die and you may not know that it’s because of how it was handled when captured and shipped.

I think most people use the chocolate chips as food for their harlequin shrimp, or keep them in FOWLR tanks. They eat soft corals and aren't reef safe at all.

I’ve had both brittle & serpent starfish, in both reefs & fowlr tanks, over the years.

While they may scavenge for scraps, I’ve found them to be regular feeders. So offer food like any other inhabitant (or feed heavy). Just maybe not as often. I especially like red serpents, but they are not as common as they used to be.

Some have blamed starfish for fish disappearing. I have not had that problem, or at least no reason to believe they were the culprit if/when a fish died. Maybe underfed specimens behave differently?

One species I would not recommend is the Blue Linckia starfish. They are quite beautiful but need a large mature tank with pristine water to survive. They are reported to feed almost exclusively on bacterial films & sponges.

There are other species that will target mollusks and will devour that $100+ prized clam like a plate of sushi. Just know what you are buying before putting it in a tank.

I have good luck with the sand sifting starfish, great scavenger but he is rarely seen. Now the Fromia not so much they all perished within 2 weeks in my tank. I am giving heavy consideration to keeping a feather starfish in my 130g I just like how it’s a filter feeders that swims about the water column not to mention it’s overall awesome look. I’m a fan of the biscuit starfish as well but those guys can be quite big

I had these in my first tank. I liked the red knob the best with beautiful color. The big one I named Chunk because he was so fat. I was told he was 50/50 reef safe. In pic you can see him eating away. And the basket was cool also.C9E2B34E-D41C-4DB7-B810-DFEA7338503D.jpegFB9DEBCB-6EE0-445D-BD52-2A26CCB02783.jpeg9D5E6C85-EA70-42A7-9B9F-A6593BE33454.pngI

Attachments

• 30736040-E55C-48DE-B2D6-7EDDED4D0CA3.jpeg
    30736040-E55C-48DE-B2D6-7EDDED4D0CA3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
We have had a sand sifting starfish for a few years now. He started out in our small tanks and lived through our house disaster and now has made a great recovery in our current system. He has grown back where he was damaged and he is bigger and more active then before. We do feed sinking pellets so there is always something in the sand for him to eat.

I've got green and black serpent stars. They are massive and haven't bothered a fish. They are fed well though since I do tend to overfeed. I also have a ton of microbrittles both the white variety that stay around 1 cm and the darker brownish ones that grow to over an inch... I also have asterina... So much so that I have a bonded harlequin pair in my frag system and they have plenty to eat. Oddly the harlequins never go after any kinds of serpent or brittle stars even the small ones...

I’m trying to get some microbrittles, don’t want asterinas. I don’t think the article was talking about those because they were specifically excluded as being ok. I think it’s the other ones, the plumper ones though I saw someone posted a pic of “chunky”. I guess there are exceptions to every rule just thought it was interesting info. I’ve seen some beautiful stars in lfs tanks for sale but the posted excerpt gave me pause.

I bought some of this stuff, Grunge Plus, that may have micro brittles in it. I'll let you know when I get it in. I found it in a Reef2Reef thread.

Also, to contribute to your topic, we have a red Fromia that has been with us now for 4 months that we got from Classic City. He's fine so far and crawls all over the tank. Time will tell.

I bought some of this stuff, Grunge Plus, that may have micro brittles in it. I'll let you know when I get it in. I found it in a Reef2Reef thread.

Also, to contribute to your topic, we have a red Fromia that has been with us now for 4 months that we got from Classic City. He's fine so far and crawls all over the tank. Time will tell.
That’s awesome about your star. You know, I try really hard to do research because I don’t want to be lazy and just ask other people without doing my due diligence. Just when I think I’ve found a good, solid source of information it is dispelled!! I’d love to see/hear the progress of your star!! All of the things we came back into the hobby for we aren’t able to get until who knows when. We love anemones and clams and stars etc but all of them are either difficult, for mature tanks or for experts. NanCrab family tank is option D-“none of the above”

Welcome to the reefers dilemma.

Whatever catches your eye, isn’t compatible in your system ;)

That’s awesome about your star. You know, I try really hard to do research because I don’t want to be lazy and just ask other people without doing my due diligence. Just when I think I’ve found a good, solid source of information it is dispelled!! I’d love to see/hear the progress of your star!! All of the things we came back into the hobby for we aren’t able to get until who knows when. We love anemones and clams and stars etc but all of them are either difficult, for mature tanks or for experts. NanCrab family tank is option D-“none of the above”
Your tank isn't as bad as you think. It's new, yes. But that's the only thing wrong with it at this point. You'll be ready for an anemone sooner than you think :D

Back