Stocking order and compatibility

00Dan

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m prepping to begin stocking my Nuvo 40 soon and would like some input on the following list, both in terms of what order to add things and any potential issues. Suggestions for any alternatives are welcome!

I would like to have the following fish:

Yellowheaded (pearly) jawfish
A blenny of some sort - maybe a Midas? I’ve heard there may be aggression issues in smaller tanks.
Perhaps a geometric pygmy hawkfish (I’ve heard they are a bit more invert safe than actual hawkfish since its a perchlet).
Fourth/fifth fish kind of up in the air - maybe a possum or pink-streaked wrasse? I saw a valentini puffer and thought it would be cool but it appears they are hit or miss as far as how “reef-safe” they are. I also considered a pygmy angel but I’m not sure my tank is large enough.

I don’t have any inverts yet but would like to in the future. For those unfamiliar with the tank its an AIO with the actual display dimensions being 23” x 15” x 19”. I estimate I have about 28 gallons of water volume.

I love my tailspot blenny. He gets along great with two clowns, a red dragonet goby and a springer's damsel in my 22 g tank.

Tank substrate? That will play a role in some of your fish potentially.

Puffer - as you said may not be reef / CUC safe - and you need to feed them hard food regularly to help keep their teeth worn down.

The blenny and the hawkfish might be a bad idea together. Typically not recommend due to both of them being perching fish. Angels I wouldn't recommend for a system that small to be honest.

Tank substrate? That will play a role in some of your fish potentially.
I have a mix of argonite substrates, mostly Fiji Pink. Its between 2 and 3" deep depending on where in the tank you measure.

The blenny and the hawkfish might be a bad idea together. Typically not recommend due to both of them being perching fish. Angels I wouldn't recommend for a system that small to be honest.

The angel (even a pygmy) I knew was a stretch but I figured I'd pose the question. As far as the hawkfish goes, do you think aggression issues would present themselves with most gobies or only the larger ones (midas, starry, etc)?

From my understanding it is with any but you never know. I had a starry blenny and a flame hawk in a 93 cube and they did not get along. Typically it's one or the other. Also you are limited to one of these fish. I also had a starry and midas in my 93 and it did not go over well with them either and I even introduced them in at the same time.

•Pygmy angels and puffers will nip corals
•Midas are great, but that tank is too small for them and they grow quick. I saw the Tailspot Blenny suggestion; that’s a good one. For two of my veteran friends, it’s their favorite fish.
•Avoid any and all Dragonets, for now. Their diet is very picky. Not for beginners. Not for small tanks nor AIOs. And not for new tanks. Otherwise, if all 3 of 3 boxes are good-to-go, they will be one of the easiest fish you'll ever get.

What about Ocellaris clowns? Or a small watchman goby (such as a Yasha) and a pistol shrimp? or perhaps a Royal Gramma?

•Pygmy angels and puffers will nip corals
•Midas are great, but that tank is too small for them and they grow quick. I saw the Tailspot Blenny suggestion; that’s a good one. For two of my veteran friends, it’s their favorite fish.
•Avoid any and all Dragonets, for now. Their diet is very picky. Not for beginners. Not for small tanks nor AIOs. And not for new tanks. Otherwise, if all 3 of 3 boxes are good-to-go, they will be one of the easiest fish you'll ever get.

What about Ocellaris clowns? Or a small watchman goby (such as a Yasha) and a pistol shrimp? or perhaps a Royal Gramma?

Sounds like I need to keep my blenny options limited to the smaller species due to my tank dimensions, such as the tailspot.

As much as I would like a dragonet my tank has zero pods in it right now and I'm under no illusions about being able to cultivate enough to feed one.

As far as the other suggestions, I'm not opposed to clowns but I get the impression they're a bit vanilla - you're hard pressed to find someone without any.
For the watchman goby and shrimp, I've heard that once they build their burrow I'm not likely to see much of them. I'm also concerned about cohabitation with the jawfish since they are both substrate dwellers. If I went this route would it be in lieu of the blenny?
A royal gramma is a colorful option, would the pygmy hawk still fit in with it?

Good questions.

A goby and a jawfish should behave. But there is never 100% certainty. Same with Goby and Blennies. Blennies generally dislike other Blennies.

There are so many varieties of designer clowns, and each one has a unique pattern. To me, they are some of the most personalized fish in an aquarium. But they are popular because of their hardiness, movement, and personality they bring.

The shrimp will be a rare sight, but in a small tank, it won’t be as rare. The goby will always be on lookout. If you aquascape appropriately, you can promote them to stay out front.

I haven’t had issues with Grammas and Hawks, but I’d defer to other’s experience on this one.

I should have stated that my 22 g has a 30g sump with a fuge and an oversized skimmer. That's why I'm able to have 5 fish in a 22g and a large pod population.

I've got a 29 gallon. I opted for a watchman goby , his sidekick pistol shrimp. A court jester goby , a pair of clowns . All get along and use different parts of the tank.

So based on the discussion so far here's where I'm at.

2 ocellaris clownfish (designer maybe)
1 yellowheaded jawfish
1 royal gramma basslet
1 tailspot blenny

Am I maxed out around here or would I have a little more room? Fish up for consideration would be a shrimp goby and/or a pygmy wrasse (four line, possum, pink streaked).

So based on the discussion so far here's where I'm at.

2 ocellaris clownfish (designer maybe)
1 yellowheaded jawfish
1 royal gramma basslet
1 tailspot blenny

Am I maxed out around here or would I have a little more room? Fish up for consideration would be a shrimp goby and/or a pygmy wrasse (four line, possum, pink streaked).

Something that I have heard is that clownfish, particularly pairs, are liable to become aggressive towards everything, even when not spawning. Could anyone address that?

Something that I have heard is that clownfish, particularly pairs, are liable to become aggressive towards everything, even when not spawning. Could anyone address that?

"Liable" to become aggressive, yes.
"Likely" to become aggressive, not necessarily. It would depend on the species mostly.

@ZapataInc Thank you for providing the link. There's is some good details on that recent thread.

After doing some research I'm back to this list.

Pair of Ocellaris or Percula clowns
Yellow headed jawfish
Tail spot blenny
Royal Gramma OR pink streaked wrasse

(Later) maybe a shrimp goby and shrimp after the tank has been established and handling the bio load of five fish.

What are the thoughts on order of addition? It seems like the clowns and the royal gramma would need to be last for territory establishment and aggression mitigation. I'm not sure about the blenny as I hear they can be territorial as well.

Back