Sump Design Help and Questions

Jgoal55;401794 wrote: lol...good point on brandon...

Waste collector? shut off skimmer? sounds like a must have! Im liking the idea. - not limited with external, I get my sump faster, its cheaper, and its a better skimmer. Lets hear the recommendations Raj.....

Hackman....ive seen those drains too but usually when Ive had my skimmer overflow its does it so much it would fill up most containers you attach....LOL

Lmk the specs on the tank and what you're planning on keeping and I'll work up something nice for you :)

Rbredding;401824 wrote: i meant the current (no divider) section, not the two options that you've shown pictures of..

the bubble trap is only needed where water flow is so fast that the micro and larger bubbles don't have a chance to rise to the surface, the bubble trap holds them in the first section so that "bubble-less" water will continue..
with a Refugium, the flow should be slower, so that the bubbles have the chance they need to rise.

I think that you can DEFINITELY work with the sections that he's put in place, but you'll need to add a bubble trap and another divider to really make it work for you...

I would add the bubble trap turned 90* from how you've shown it in your white line drawings.. run the bubble trap from the bottom left corner to the top right corner of the drawing... (see the image below)

with this design, you can actually raise the level of the water in the refugium to whatever height you want to use, (the water flowing into the bubble trap will enter at the cutout in that section, but will leave the bubble trap at the elevation of the last baffle - that touches the divider)

this will raise the water level in the intake section AND the skimmer section, but that shouldn't be a bad thing.. fill the intake section with "clean" live rock and your skimmer will fit into the skimmer section (you can pipe the output of your skimmer to put the skimmed water directly into the refugium or into the return section (nothing says that your skimmer has to empty into the same section it pulls from... it should be "bubble-less" water, so there's really no issue with piping it directly into the return section)

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. I cleared up your drawing and re-did it with your suggestions. Hoping I got it right.

The only thing is Im not sure how this really helps the skimmer situation as the main issue is the size of the skimmer compartment???? It does however make the fuge bigger which is always nice and it also fixes the light issue since I could easily use a 24in light. 2 out of 3 fixed not bad. I could use this design with an external skimmer.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
401888=19664-iPhoto-6-2-1-1-1-1-2-3.jpg
>
401888=19664-iPhoto-6-2-1-1-1-1-2-3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="iPhoto-6-2-1-1-1-1-2-3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Skriz;401852 wrote: Lmk the specs on the tank and what you're planning on keeping and I'll work up something nice for you :)

160g (60L x 28W x22H) - Sump (36L x 24W x 24T) = so id say about 220 total system volume. 80% SPS/LPS, 15% zoanthids, 5% some softies my wife likes.

Fish. not sure yet but thinking 3-4 md/lg tangs and about 10-15 smaller reef fish (gobies, wrasses, basslets, etc) and I wanted a school of anthias as well.

hey guys....

just an update for you since you all helped me out with the ideas. I finally decided a while ago to keep the sump as is. I found a few internal and obviously a bunch of external skimmers that will fit the space just fine and can more than handle my tank.

And with a bit of luck I was able to make my current skimmer fit just fine so everything worked out for the best. And I got a really nice sump for an awesome price!!

Of course, because not everything can go just right when I finally got the sump under the tank I realized that I made it just a bit to tall. Even though my stand is actually 44" tall, the opening for where the doors are is much shorter and I forgot to take that into acct. So I had almost no room to work above the sump.

I took it back to the builder and we worked out a quick mod where I got an extra 3 inches of space.....the pics explain.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Final Layout:
IMG_0482JPG.jpg
alt="" />

In stand (note the "Duh!"):
IMG_0488JPG.jpg
alt="" />

Mod Idea:
IMG_0482JPG-1-1.jpg
alt="" />

Mod Result:
IMG_0490.jpg
alt="" />

More space!
IMG_0491JPG.jpg
alt="" />

Glad he took a step back and thought simple. Looks great. Can't wait to see some water in it and some funk in the fuge

yeah I had asked him to cut the whole perimeter and then he was like "Uhhh....no"

He said that would have messed with the bracing so he didn't want to do that. I actually like the way it looks and although this is a far fetched benefit, if you think about it, its kind of cool because if there is ever an overflow, Id rather have water spilling out one side then out of 4. If you catch it in time that's a few less towels you have to put down. :)

Also, I just put together this little skimmer stand. My first acrylic gluing job and I dont think it came out too shabby. I used one of my insulin syringes to apply the Weld On.

Even though the pics make it look that way, thats not a solid box. its open on two sides but im still thinking of drilling more holes for fun.

Skimmer Stand:
IMG_0495.jpg
alt="" />

Skimmer on Stand:
IMG_0497.jpg
alt="" />

Smoothie;412665 wrote: Glad he took a step back and thought simple. Looks great. Can't wait to see some water in it and some funk in the fuge

Yeah btw...I cant wait either. Im moving so slow though. Oh well...hopefully that makes things turn out for the better. Eventually ill get my boxes unpacked from the move and Ill start concentrating on this thing. Gonna order some of the plumbing supplies pretty soon.

Nice! On the topic imagination/ the bright side
1) you could build a acrylic overflow troph under the area that has been shortened to catch any over spill if you intend on keeping the water level above necessary level.
2) Drill small holes in the upper sides of the skimmer stand and make it into a cryptic fuge housing sponges

Actually, when/if the power goes off I still have about 3inches before the water level hits that lower lip so there is plenty of space still in the sump in case of a power outage.

I love the sponge fuge idea, thatd be pretty neat. Then again, ive never been able to keep a sponge alive in any of my tanks. At least not the ones you buy. And I always make sure they dont touch air when I put them in. ?????

Don't buy them. Get the non decorative sponges from us little by little. The ones it seems impossible to kill. I have plenty in my lil planted tank I can spare. I know others do too

hmmm...are you just talking about the hitchhiker ones? Ill have to find then down here since its a bit of a trip from Atl to Miami. lol

but thanks.

You should be able to find them no problem. Check RC for a local club in your area.
Just remember where you first home is

Back