Sump Larger than tank = Bad?

Look at my build thread (see signature). My sum is very large.

If your sump is oversized I don't think you need calculate water change volume the same as a traditional setup. The bio load does not change with the size of your sump.

There are things you do need to consider though. Heating and cooling for sure and possibly skimming. Although skimming can be debated based on my prior bio load statement.

I am going to do a lot of water changing experimentation when my system is up and running.

But do yall think it would be worth my time and $ to sell my Reef Octopus 150 and get a smaller skimmer?

nuggetsgotmilk;965005 wrote: But do yall think it would be worth my time and $ to sell my Reef Octopus 150 and get a smaller skimmer?

The only reason to get a smaller skimmer is space.

Example: if you have a 20 gal nano a large bubble king will not fit inside if it so and a small skimmer would look strange in your display so you would get an HOB (hang on back).

Except for that I would never get a smaller skimmer.

I woud not consider Seth's sump to be huge. A 120 on a 120 is a big sump, but not huge, IMO. I was really thinking of the 4x+ the Display volume types, like a 300 gallon sump with the 70 gallon display tank I posted of earlier. My 93 gallon reef has a 75 gallon capacity sump, although I think it is probably no more than 40% full at any one time. My 465 gallon reef has a 155 gallon sump, but it is 1/3 full at normal operation.

One big advantage to a large sump, however, outside the increased water stability is a lot more freedom with in sump equipment placement, like skimmers, reactors, heaters, etc.

Just me, but I would probably use the same water change schedule despite the size of my total system volume, however, as water changes are nothing but good for a system, IME.

I would definitely not use an undersized skimmer just because you have a large sump, however. I would go by the system volume to size your skimmer appropriately. I don't think you need a grossly oversized skimmer for your volume, it just means it will have more idle time in its operation when it is not producing any skimmate vs one that is appropriately sized or a bit over sized.

The Eshopps RS-300 looks like it is around 35 gallons, so it isn't really oversized for a 30 gallon display, and the skimmer would be fine on the total volume you'll have (about 60 gallons).

MorganAtlanta;965077 wrote: The Eshopps RS-300 looks like it is around 35 gallons, so it isn't really oversized for a 30 gallon display, and the skimmer would be fine on the total volume you'll have (about 60 gallons).

No it is HUGE! It is for a 225-300 gallon.

Check the dimensions on the Eshopps site and do the math. It's 35 gallons.

a>

MorganAtlanta;965124 wrote: Check the dimensions on the Eshopps site and do the math. It's 35 gallons.

http://www.eshopps.com/products/filters/reefsumps/rs300/">http://www.eshopps.com/products/filters/reefsumps/rs300/</a>[/QUOTE]

Sorry I thought you ment for a 35 gallon tank not 35 gallons total! :doh:

Back